IGNORED

Illuminated advertising boards

Tristan Cork

8 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

The TV coverage explanation doesn’t make a lot of sense - for the signs pointing towards the Dolman crowd - I didn’t think there were any cameras in the Dolman that would capture this ?

I’m not sure there are any along the front of the Lansdown??  There weren’t when I used to sit in the Dolman - but now, as I’m in the Lansdown can’t see if they’ve put them in front of me as well. If they have then you are quite right that TV cameras would rarely pick them up!

4 hours ago, Tristan Cork said:

Hello all
Before I send my email to the club, I was just wondering if anyone else also has trouble watching the game because of the bright illuminated advertising boards around the pitch, or if it is just me?
On Saturday, it felt worse than ever, probably because it was grey and gloomy. When the floodlights aren't as bright as the perimeter ad boards, then it's hard to watch. This is especially a problem when the action is at the Atyeo end (I sit in the South Stand). It's like squinting at silhouettes, or the equivalent of going to the cinema trying to watch a film and having someone shine a torch in your eyes while you try to watch a film.

Not just you they are ridiculous.

4 hours ago, IAmNick said:

I think in the Euros the boards changed dynamically by computer depending on the feed, so they'd appear in the right language, or be appropriate for the country. I remember seeing the same replay from different sources with different boards shown.

I think a better long term solution would be to have static ones in the ground, and just overlay their stupid animations on the feed for the TV audiences.

I might be being thick, but how does that work….what do the people in the ground see?

7 hours ago, pl00peh91 said:

I was thinking they are way too bright for the players to not be put off by them. If we are playing with a white ball and there’s a blinding white advertising boarding it must be a nightmare for them!

Perhaps Kalas can blame his header on the advertising lights! 

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I might be being thick, but how does that work….what do the people in the ground see?

16 minutes ago, SBB said:

Thanks - see above.

I think there are a few ways to do it from relatively simple to extremely complex, but fans still see something in the ground.

That article says every 4th frame on the board is an ad and the feed they send out is synced with that.

I think they can also put infrared LEDs onto them which a computer can use to know where to overlay the advert - with a bit of logic so players etc still appear in front.

Either way fans still get an ad, unfortunately... But it could be dimmer or less intrusive (for the players) you'd hope at least.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Tristan Cork said:

Hello all
Before I send my email to the club, I was just wondering if anyone else also has trouble watching the game because of the bright illuminated advertising boards around the pitch, or if it is just me?
On Saturday, it felt worse than ever, probably because it was grey and gloomy. When the floodlights aren't as bright as the perimeter ad boards, then it's hard to watch. This is especially a problem when the action is at the Atyeo end (I sit in the South Stand). It's like squinting at silhouettes, or the equivalent of going to the cinema trying to watch a film and having someone shine a torch in your eyes while you try to watch a film.

Complain about it to the Bristol Post…

• Haha 1

On 22/11/2021 at 13:04, Sleepy1968 said:

I'm higher up in the Dolman so the reverse pitchside ads dont bother me too much, however the exit lights are horrendously bright and make the Lansdown stand look like a christmas tree. They could be half as bright. Do they not realise that peoples eyes adjust to the lower light conditions (OR THEY I F THEY WERE ALLOWED TO.) See how shouting hurts. Same thing with them super trouper lights.

Smiling having fun... feeling like a number one!

#oneforthekids

• Haha 1

On 22/11/2021 at 13:46, Dullmoan Tone said:

The TV coverage explanation doesn’t make a lot of sense - for the signs pointing towards the Dolman crowd - I didn’t think there were any cameras in the Dolman that would capture this ?

Quite agree, the ones facing inwards should be turned off. The older ones faced the pitch which perfectly adequate and acceptable. Looking directly over a moving advert while you're trying to view the pitch isn't acceptable.

On 22/11/2021 at 13:46, Dullmoan Tone said:

Quite agree, the ones facing inwards should be turned off. The older ones faced the pitch which perfectly adequate and acceptable. Looking directly over a moving advert while you're trying to view the pitch isn't acceptable.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, PFree said:

Completely agree, that along with the stands now being lit too absolutely spoil the atmosphere at night games. The players look like they are playing in the dark down on the pitch..

Been saying for years I wish they would turn the lights off in the stands loads of other grounds do even rugby FFS!

17 hours ago, PFree said:

Completely agree, that along with the stands now being lit too absolutely spoil the atmosphere at night games. The players look like they are playing in the dark down on the pitch..

Completely agree.

Apparently for H&S, but that ignores the fact that at the concerts all the lights were off, apart from the stage.

It’s particularly annoying that the stand lighting is directed into the eyes of supporters, either from the roof or from across the pitch, which has often brought on headaches / migraines in me.  It was never a problem pre-redevelopment.

Quite why the strip lighting in the Dolman was suddenly considered inadequate beggars belief.

If I go to a show, cinema or football (at night) I want to be in darkness and the focus on the performance in front of me.  Shame that experience is now gone at AG.

2 hours ago, sm2webb said:

Completely agree.

Apparently for H&S, but that ignores the fact that at the concerts all the lights were off, apart from the stage.

It’s particularly annoying that the stand lighting is directed into the eyes of supporters, either from the roof or from across the pitch, which has often brought on headaches / migraines in me.  It was never a problem pre-redevelopment.

Quite why the strip lighting in the Dolman was suddenly considered inadequate beggars belief.

If I go to a show, cinema or football (at night) I want to be in darkness and the focus on the performance in front of me.  Shame that experience is now gone at AG.

H&S is a blatant smoke-screen, as you say it doesn't hold up logically. 

This is down to pure and simply the 'pigs in blankets' keeping their beady eye on potential trouble makers/banning orders/violence that may have occurred outside the ground in the surrounding area. If anyone thinks otherwise, they are not living the everyday reality of a surveillance state where pre-judgment on certain social/ethnic groups is a given.

The advertising boardings were much better tonight - obviously the brightness was turned down compared to Saturday.
However those spotlights shining straight into our faces / eyes in the Dolman Stand are an absolute bad joke. Whoever thought that was a sensible solution to a problem that didn’t actually exist to start with must be plain stupid. It was literally a struggle to see the pitch through the glare & I left the stadium with a headache - looks like I will either have to move stands or give night games a miss going forward.

What is it with our club trying to fully light the stands when we all know the atmosphere would be so much better if the stands were darker?

Edited by Cardy