IGNORED

Amazon Prime

Super

49 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I think she is fast becoming a big name.

The exact same arguments were used against employing foreign managers. That's changed because someone started taking risks. The same will happen with female coaches.  It's inevitable unless the Taliban take over

I agree, that it’s inevitable that female managers will come into the game. Once one comes in and does a good job, more will follow.

But i don’t think, a female manager doing well in the womens game, means they can do a job in mens professional game. The two games are chalk and cheese and it’s VERY early days for the women’s game. They are literally 100 years behind. Lots of young girls playing the game now, so i do think there is a good future 

• Like 1

Emma Hayes was linked with Wimbledon job but I don't think that came from Wimbledon, I think that came from Emma Hayes' agent.

At the time that she said women's football wasn't a step down (what do you expect her to say, she's got to keep the respect of her players!) she also said that Wimbledon couldn't afford her. A couple of months later she signed a new contract with Chelsea. Looks to me like women managers can play the contract renegotiation game every bit as well as the men.

Edited by Yellow&Blue&Red
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Riaz said:

what’s yours? You aren’t seriously suggesting that the womens top level is anywhere near league 2 are you?? ???

Not the point is it? 

Wimbledon men would hammer Chelsea women because they are bigger stronger and quicker.  Not because they are more tactically nuanced or better managed. 

They don't need a male coach to be bigger, stronger and quicker do they?  Or even someone with experience of that level of football.  Management is about making the most of what you got through organisation, communication, recruitment etc.  Give Emma Hayes a half decent budget at League 1 level and I suspect she'll be successful even if there would be a constant media circus around her.   She demonstrably has the skill set to succeed.

2 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

It's called 'Cockernee', isn't it?!

Saying he expects Newcastle to spend "£200 - £300m in January" and then survive is stupid in any accent.

They can spend that amount, the tight approach under Ashley means they are way off breaking P&S rules.

But I'd argue they could sign 4 or 5 players of top quality...and it won't get them safe.

They basically need an absolute minimum of 30 more points. That gets them to 37, and an outside chance of survival. Ideally they need to hit 40, so need 33 more. They've got 24 games to do that. So they need to go from 0.5ppg to nearly 1.5 ppg, and they need to do that overnight. Their xG is appalling, and last night they were hopeless.

Furthermore, by the end of January they will have played another 9 matches including against Man City, Liverpool, plus so-called "6 pointers" against Burnley, Watford and Leeds. After those 9 games they would have only 15 remaining remaining games. So realistically unless they get 15+ points from the 9 games between now and the end of January, they could be looking at needing nearly 2 ppg to stay safe. 2 ppg is top 4 form.

It's not happening. I don't care if they sign Salah, Kante, Lukaku, Donnarumma and van Dijk in January. They're relegated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Saying he expects Newcastle to spend "£200 - £300m in January" and then survive is stupid in any accent.

They can spend that amount, the tight approach under Ashley means they are way off breaking P&S rules.

But I'd argue they could sign 4 or 5 players of top quality...and it won't get them safe.

They basically need an absolute minimum of 30 more points. That gets them to 37, and an outside chance of survival. Ideally they need to hit 40, so need 33 more. They've got 24 games to do that. So they need to go from 0.5ppg to nearly 1.5 ppg, and they need to do that overnight. Their xG is appalling, and last night they were hopeless.

Furthermore, by the end of January they will have played another 9 matches including against Man City, Liverpool, plus so-called "6 pointers" against Burnley, Watford and Leeds. After those 9 games they would have only 15 remaining remaining games. So realistically unless they get 15+ points from the 9 games between now and the end of January, they could be looking at needing nearly 2 ppg to stay safe. 2 ppg is top 4 form.

It's not happening. I don't care if they sign Salah, Kante, Lukaku, Donnarumma and van Dijk in January. They're relegated.

Problem will be is that if Newcastle are the Championship next season with a huge budget they’ll almost certainly bounce straight back up.

Highlights the issues many clubs have with parachute payments. To me it makes little difference to me who comes down, they’ll all get the advantage of the PP system.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Problem will be is that if Newcastle are the Championship next season with a huge budget they’ll almost certainly bounce straight back up.

Highlights the issues many clubs have with parachute payments. To me it makes little difference to me who comes down, they’ll all get the advantage of the PP system.

For a club like Newcastle PP will be a drop in the ocean. It will help them a little but it's not PP that will mean they will win the Championship next season. They will likely come down with a squad worth a few hundred million, and a wage bill of astonishing terms for a championship club. You'd expect them to smash the division.

PP needs reform, but it's clubs like Norwich that demonstrate its failings rather than Newcastle.

30 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

I don't think I can remember ever seeing an instance of this in nearly 30 years of following City or even from other games, I'm sure there must have been instances in that time but this is becoming so frequent now it really is concerning.

I wonder if it did happen, but coverage of it is much more common now?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

I don't think I can remember ever seeing an instance of this in nearly 30 years of following City or even from other games, I'm sure there must have been instances in that time but this is becoming so frequent now it really is concerning.

It's happened in the past. I've watched medical teams in the Dolman (from the Williams). No stoppage, game carried on. Speculation on mortality based on time spent by medical teams. Life carried on. Tonight's stoppages seem a bit OTT

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I wonder if it did happen, but coverage of it is much more common now?

Your probably right and maybe its anxiety over potential vaccine side-effects that is further highlighting it....that being said when the first one happened (Newcastle v Spurs IIRC), it was forgotten about within a few days but now this is happening pretty much every matchday. I'm sure if this was going on pre-Covid then it still would be getting some sort of media attention.

18 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Your probably right and maybe its anxiety over potential vaccine side-effects that is further highlighting it....that being said when the first one happened (Newcastle v Spurs IIRC), it was forgotten about within a few days but now this is happening pretty much every matchday. I'm sure if this was going on pre-Covid then it still would be getting some sort of media attention.

Well… a precedent has now been set that a game will be stopped in such a scenario. That means it must be highlighted. I imagine they used to just crack on with it. 

• Like 1