IGNORED

Austin

The turtle

I don’t have a problem with players giving a quick gesture to opposition fans but he couldn’t leave it, I think he would have carried on for the whole of half time if he’d been allowed.

Very strange behaviour. Maybe he knew we’d had problems in that corner last time out and was deliberately winding them up to get us In more trouble.

• Like 1

I've got no problem with players giving it back, but as others have said

1. what on earth was he giving it back to, there was absolutely nothing to respond to 
  2. why did it go on for so long, it was like he was seeing how much he could get away with.

If it was just run directly to home fans after a goal and make a song and dance of it fine, players do that every week, but he was still aiming stuff at home fans back on the halfway line.

Side question - if an away player is still disrespecting home fans for that length of time (which goes beyond the normal stuff) doesn't at least one home player lean in and have a word?

We just don't have that sort of player anymore. I seem to recall even our goalkeeper once ran the length of the pitch to address unnecessary goading of City fans by opposition players.

Probably no coincidence that same team fought for one another and the club and won a lot. Wish we had a nasty **** with a chip on their shoulder who treated AG more like "our house".

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Olé said:

1. what on earth was he giving it back to, there was absolutely nothing to respond to 
  2. why did it go on for so long, it was like he was seeing how much he could get away with.

If it was just run directly to home fans after a goal and make a song and dance of it fine, players do that every week, but he was still aiming stuff at home fans back on the halfway line.

Side question - if an away player is still disrespecting home fans for that length of time (which goes beyond the normal stuff) doesn't at least one home player lean in and have a word?

We just don't have that sort of player anymore. I seem to recall even our goalkeeper once ran the length of the pitch to address unnecessary goading of City fans by opposition players.

Probably no coincidence that same team fought for one another and the club and won a lot. Wish we had a nasty **** with a chip on their shoulder who treated AG more like "our house".

Agreed. Different class of player obviously but imagine Keane and Scholes stood watching some Spurs player giving it the big one in front of the Stretford End for a little bit longer than they should be doing. You would literally be risking getting snapped in half or your nose ending up in a weird position relative to your face. The only problem, in defence of our players, is we had a referee last night who would have loved to brandish that red card if someone had left a bit on Austin.

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

imagine Keane and Scholes stood watching some Spurs player giving it the big one in front of the Stretford End for a little bit longer than they should be doing. You would literally be risking getting snapped in half or your nose ending up in a weird position relative to your face.

Hmmm, imagine Gow, Hunter, Sweeney, Cheesley, Rodgers, etc. letting Austin get away with last night’s over the top shithousing display? No, I don’t think so.

When I was a kid, I remember one Rodney Marsh for QPR at Ashton Gate getting stick from the crowd and giving it back, but had a smile on his face - both the crowd and Marshy seemed to love it and thrive on it. Yes it’s all part of the game, but some of the antics I’ve seen recently look like the acts of overgrown kids in the playground. Could understand the ex-Rovers lad for Luton, who was get pelters all game from our crowd, but last night was just weird from Austin. Was there history between us and him other than ex Swindon?

I thought it was a bit of a piss take when their goalkeeping coach continued to warm up their keeper after HT. The bloody awful Ref just watched and waited until they decided to start the match. Surely that’s delaying the restart and a booking? Incredible.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Olé said:

This x1000!

Just stood waiting to kick off, at least someone get involved, bit of handbags but would whip the crowd up again.

After the winner he celebrated in Weimanns face, all he did was winge to the ref (who was obviously trying to hide the considerable spunk stain on his shorts after the winner), would have been nice to see a bit more fight, as you say, wouldn’t happen when Flint, Pack, Wilbraham or even Osbourne were in the team! 

I imagine that’s the last time we’ll see him at the Gate, providing we don’t get relegated. He’s finished, as bad a player as I’ve seen at this level now, less mobile than Chris Martin! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Although he played for Swindon at the start of his professional career, he's from Bournemouth, not Wiltshire.

I think the reason he goaded fans was just because he's a *****, not because of any spurious connection to a club 10 years ago. 

I don't think his behaviour is anything to with his Swindon connections just wondering if it's anything to do with him getting caught cheating on his wife in 2017 front page of the tabloids and maybe you gave him some stick for that around that time and last night was his payback. Other than that I've no idea. 

19 hours ago, The turtle said:

I really don't mind players giving it back, getting involved with fans. It's all part of the game as far as I'm concerned. That's not the point of this post. 

My question is why? I've never seen a player respond like that before for no apparent reason? 

Was it from a previous game? Did I miss something in today's game? Any clues as to why he reacted like that? 

To me it just didn't make any sense. Normally it's a bit of back and forth, can't think of a time where I've seen a player act to that level just because. 

Did I miss something? 

He's a Swindon boy horn and bread well just outside. 

46 minutes ago, super slick said:

at least someone get involved, bit of handbags but would whip the crowd up again

It was a great advertisement for "do what you want" in our ground. We should have people who take more pride in what being at home is. Wrong sport (NFL) and it will never be close to footy but Google "Terrell Owens George Teague". Huge back story but the simple version is: don't take the piss in my house.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ray savino said:

Hmmm, imagine Gow, Hunter, Sweeney, Cheesley, Rodgers, etc. letting Austin get away with last night’s over the top shithousing display? No, I don’t think so.

When I was a kid, I remember one Rodney Marsh for QPR at Ashton Gate getting stick from the crowd and giving it back, but had a smile on his face - both the crowd and Marshy seemed to love it and thrive on it. Yes it’s all part of the game, but some of the antics I’ve seen recently look like the acts of overgrown kids in the playground. Could understand the ex-Rovers lad for Luton, who was get pelters all game from our crowd, but last night was just weird from Austin. Was there history between us and him other than ex Swindon?

The same Rodney Marsh who got spat on on from the enclosure whilst being carried on a stetcher to a waiting ambulance, seem to remember he didn't have a smile on his face that day ?

24 minutes ago, Olé said:

It was a great advertisement for "do what you want" in our ground. We should have people who take more pride in what being at home is. Wrong sport (NFL) and it will never be close to footy but Google "Terrell Owens George Teague". Huge back story but the simple version is: don't take the piss in my house.

Spot on. Easy place to play is AG. Fans and players know they can do what they want here. 

I lived in South London for a few years near the Den and even the most mild disrespect was acted upon. I know this first hand running for my life down depford high street! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shaun Taylor said:

I don't think his behaviour is anything to with his Swindon connections just wondering if it's anything to do with him getting caught cheating on his wife in 2017 front page of the tabloids and maybe you gave him some stick for that around that time and last night was his payback. Other than that I've no idea. 

I think he's just a ****. His penalty was the only time he threatened our goal. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, myol'man said:

The same Rodney Marsh who got spat on on from the enclosure whilst being carried on a stetcher to a waiting ambulance, seem to remember he didn't have a smile on his face that day ?

Shouldn’t think anyone would tbh,spitting at someone is the lowest you can get,I hate Murray for being provocative towards the Cardiff lot back in the day by the way it’s just not on 

• Flames 1