IGNORED

Weimann

BUTOR

9 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

How long to go before he is a club great? 

3 minutes ago, JP Hampton said:

Well we already believe he is and has been for some time, an incredibly hard worker even when the team wasn’t. If any player deserved a song it’s him. Gives everything he’s got in every game!

And yet some of the knob posts I’ve seen on here over the last few seasons about Weimann would have me believe there are a few who don’t know there ass from their elbow!

• Like 1

All the talk of the 3 young lads being "snapped" up by bigger fish, sadly I can see someone also coming in for him.

Involved in anything good our team does and should be playing for a top 6 Championship team at least.

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Needs 3 more now to equal Bobby Reid & Kodjia’s number of goals in a season, 4 to reach the magic 20 & only Tammy has done that for us at this level in a very long time.

Pretty good for someone incredibly described earlier this season as “almost stealing a living” & on here as someone who apparently “just runs around” & who is often the reason we concede ?

"foot like a banjo" was also a classic.

8 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

And yet some of the knob posts I’ve seen on here over the last few seasons about Weimann would have me believe there are a few who don’t know there ass from their elbow!

to be fair, our previous 2 managers didn’t have a clue how to use him which didn’t help. 

• Like 13

12 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

All the talk of the 3 young lads being "snapped" up by bigger fish, sadly I can see someone also coming in for him.

Involved in anything good our team does and should be playing for a top 6 Championship team at least.

Yep, that finish at Swansea & the one today, we can all do that, can’t we?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, sludge said:

to be fair, our previous 2 managers didn’t have a clue how to use him which didn’t help. 

Agreed, also there is IMO a good case to be made that if we had Pearson for the last few years we would have got more out of a number of deemed failures. Not all of course but a reasonable number.

In patches with Weimann, they had something but not consistently for sure.

Always liked Weimann, works so hard, his excellent runs in Year 1 were untapped by us. That alone was an indicator of his quality that we failed to exploit under past managers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VT05763 said:

My hope is he'll be considered too old for big offers to make a sale tempting to the club, under the current set up.

If M.A. was still here, I would have feared a cash in before the end of his contract to make the balance sheet look better.

However, as his new contract was on lower wages, I sure many clubs will be happy to pay him a lot more.

As long as he feels fairly treated, I think we can hang onto him for a good while.
Here's hoping.

Edited by MJP3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sludge said:

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That alone was an indicator of his quality that we failed to exploit under past managers.

As this is easily his best tally in his career, I don't think you can lay it all at the door of our previous 2 managers. He has more than doubled his career goal tally here in half of the number of appearances, so it's not just this season.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MJP3 said:

My hope is he'll be considered too old for big offers to make a sale tempting to the club, under the current set up.

If M.A. was still here, I would have feared a cash in before the end of his contract to make the balance sheet look better.

However, as his new contract was on lower wages, I sure many clubs will be happy to pay him a lot more.

As long as he feels fairly treated, I think we can hang onto him for a good while.
Here's hoping.

On the plus  as he has said in interviews  he likes it here in Bristol and at the club. His contract is until 2024 when he will be 32. I can see him being our 'Jamie Vardy'

11 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agreed, also there is IMO a good case to be made that if we had Pearson for the last few years we would have got more out of a number of deemed failures. Not all of course but a reasonable number.

In patches with Weimann, they had something but not consistently for sure.

Always liked Weimann, works so hard, his excellent runs in Year 1 were untapped by us. That alone was an indicator of his quality that we failed to exploit under past managers.

This all day long. Which is why the over indulgence of Johnson was sickening. To not make the top 6 at least once with the tools he had at his disposal was a failure in my eyes. 

just like when we overspent when his dad was in charge it means the next few managers have to work on a shoestring as well.

45 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

But also Weimann seemed to work harder to defend with our midfield in our own half. A bit more like how he looked under Holden.

There was just one occasion, about an hour in, when he didn’t run back, but he’d just bust a gut to join in and we gave up possession.  Otherwise he worked his nuts off yesterday.

Pressing wise, last Sunday 1st half v Swansea and yesterday we got our forward press pretty much spot on.

I think we’ve realised that stopping these teams getting it wide stops their patterns.  Last week we let their keeper kick it.  Yesterday we let Fry have it.  We didn’t let them build out through McNair (their usual route) or to a lesser extent Dijksteel, you could see Fry didn’t really want to drive through the middle.  That was something I was worried about pre-match, and we negated it.  Weimann was disciplined in doing a 70:30 job on Howson, 70% marking him, 30% blocking Fry’s passing lanes, whilst Martin and Semenyo split.  He went to Fry after about 15 mins and Howson got on it in acres.  He didn’t make that mistake again.  He was very disciplined.

You can’t always stop it because it depends on whether you’ve had chance to get into shape off of your lost possession or not, but when we could we were exemplary in executing it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

There was just one occasion, about an hour in, when he didn’t run back, but he’d just bust a gut to join in and we gave up possession.  Otherwise he worked his nuts off yesterday.

Pressing wise, last Sunday 1st half v Swansea and yesterday we got our forward press pretty much spot on.

I think we’ve realised that stopping these teams getting it wide stops their patterns.  Last week we let their keeper kick it.  Yesterday we let Fry have it.  We didn’t let them build out through McNair (their usual route) or to a lesser extent Dijksteel, you could see Fry didn’t really want to drive through the middle.  That was something I was worried about pre-match, and we negated it.  Weimann was disciplined in doing a 70:30 job on Howson, 70% marking him, 30% blocking Fry’s passing lanes, whilst Martin and Semenyo split.  He went to Fry after about 15 mins and Howson got on it in acres.  He didn’t make that mistake again.  He was very disciplined.

You can’t always stop it because it depends on whether you’ve had chance to get into shape off of your lost possession or not, but when we could we were exemplary in executing it.

Other thing is he took a really heavy knock first half & it appeared to take him quite some while to run it off, if he wasn’t so integral to the way we play (& we had better sub options) he surely would have come off.

In injury time when HNM did his ridiculous attempt for glory I noticed it was him (as usual) leading the sprinting back to cover, for someone who had already given his all & hampered by a knock, it was an incredible testament to his fitness levels.

Put it this way, I wouldn’t fancy going for a run with him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Not sure I agree there.

LJ had us top half consistently and sometimes in or close to the playoffs.

If LJ was underachieving with the players he brought in then that would contradict the views many have that our recruitment was poor.

Though LJs tactics I would sometimes disagree with, the same has been the case with Pearson at times so far.

I think it might be that Pearson might have improved the recruitment so he'd had a better squad to work with. Rather than him doing better than LJ managed with those bunch of players.

Though that is based on the good promising signings last summer rather than the bad ones!

Let's see how the recruitment goes, but I am optimistic it will continue to improve under Pearson. That's my main encouragement and with the quality youth coming through now.

As for Weimann. I did not like the Weimann and Diedhiou partnership in the 442 under LJ. But I have also not liked the Weimann and Martin partnership when they had played together this season for similar reasons. 

It could be that LJ playing Weimann in behind 2 strikers would have got Weimann scoring more. But then who would be those 2 strikers. Fam and what other partner.

I don't think Fam worked well with any partner so that possibly lessens Weimann's effectiveness as a goalscorer in behind 2 strikers that don't link up as well as Martin and Semenyo currently do.

Thinking back it's probably been that Weimann's most successful role for us was playing wide right in the 4141 of 18/19 season. That incredible run around new year.

If back then LJ had put all his efforts into making Weimann more of a goal threat then maybe he achieves that. But then would that have a negative impact on our defensive structure.

Would we still have won 8 in a row around Christmas/new year. Conceding only 2 goals, keeping 6 clean sheets.

It's a bit like what I have said about Wells in the past. Warburton had him scoring lots of goals at QPR. Playing attacking football with flair players like Eze, Chair, Samuel, with Wells on the shoulder.

It got Wells scoring goals, but on the flip side QPR from what i remember were not the best defensively. In terms of results it wasn't a particularly successful strategy. I think they were lower mid table for much of that good goalscoring half season Wells had there.

So as we are now we look threatening going forward. Weimann is in the perfect role to find himself in good positions to score and assist.

But there still might need to be slight adjustments to our approach. As we do look too open defensively. 

If we can do that with Weimann at times up the pitch with Semenyo and Martin and the rest can cope as we defend then great.

Johnson spent too much emphasis on what Weimann could do (Due to his unbelievable work rate and willingness) to stop the opposition , than what threat and damage he could do TO the opposition , an easy mistake to make with a player so willing , and one with respect you have been in danger of doing.

Yes Andi will do whatever job you wish him to do (He is the consumate Pro for me ) and will chase opposing players back into the final third all game if you ask him.

He is some athlete with an attitude to match , but even he can’t sprint for 90 mins - The more you ask him to do defensively the less opportunity he will have to impact the other way.

Its about getting the balance right IMO , yes he needs to fulfill a defensive role when we don’t have the ball , but he does that naturally.

If other players are doing their jobs and the system clear , then there are few occasions he should be sprinting back into our defensive third.

You also forget that we don’t know what Pearson’s ask / instructions are to him - (  I would absolutely surmise that he doesn’t want AW sacrificing himself chasing back doing others jobs all game , )

As I said , a consumate pro (Epitomises the word Professional for me) who makes the absolute best of every asset he has , and one of a group of City players over the years that I think ‘you deserve everything you earn out the game’

* I’d also credit the often maligned Chris Martin for Weimanns impact this season - vastly underrated generally IMO - a clever and technically good footballer and we have two experienced good pros who know each other’s game and who between them have helped nurture and work with the explosive raw talent of a learning Antoine

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

11 hours ago, MJP3 said:

Here's hoping.

He's five years younger than Jamie Vardy so at 30 no way is he "to old" but I know where your coming from, at his age if a bigger club came in for him you could understand it if he wanted one last hurrah.

31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Fry looked at a loss of what to do with the ball numerous times, think they had prepared for our usual 3-5-2 shape and the passes he was anticipating being available were not.

I still like 3-5-2 as default with this squad but we need to tweak and vary it occasionally, as we did yesterday.

We had become far to predictable. Coventry for instance will have a lot more to work on now there is some doubt how we will line up on Tuesday.