IGNORED

Mark Hughes

daored

8 hours ago, Coxy27 said:

It's nothing to do with what he achieved as a player in the top flight - he has also managed six Premier League sides and a national team.

Most would consider him a success in his roles with Wales, Blackburn, Fulham, and for a long time at Stoke, too.

He's got loads of experience at a very high level, and success there too.

It's a great appointment.

Great post Coxy - the many critics of Mark Hughes should have a look at the premier league finishing positions he consistently delivered for Fulham and Stoke, but they won’t. They should also realise that when he took over at Saints they looked dead and buried and certainties for relegation from the premier league, but he kept them up. Yet they will overlook that.

For Bradford City to appoint Sparky as their new manager is just a great appointment - as you rightly pointed out Coxy ???

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Like 3
  • Flames 1

13 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I never rated him as a manager and didn’t quite understand how he got some top jobs in the past but this is certainly a fall from grace, shows how tough the old manager game is!

Why didn’t you ever rate him as a manager TIn?

He joined Blackburn as their manager, kept them up in the PL when they looked vulnerable and in his first season there he also took them to the FA Cup Semi Final for the first time in 40 years.

In his second season as manager at Ewood Park he took Blackburn to a top 6 finish in the premier league.

In his third season as Blackburn manager he ensured they finished 10th in the premier league whilst getting to their third consecutive cup semi final under Hughes.

In his fourth season as Blackburn manager he finished 7th in the premier league.

He then took Fulham to an 8th placed finish in the premier league as their manager.

And as Stoke City manager, in his first season he took them to a 9th placed finish in the premier league, their highest league placing since 1975.

Hughes then took Stoke City to two consecutive 9th placed premier league finishes followed by a 13th placed finish in his following three seasons as their manager in the top flight.

Certainly not the most shabby managerial CV I’ve seen - so, again, why didn’t you ever rate him as a manager?

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 1

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Why didn’t you ever rate him as a manager TIn?

He joined Blackburn as their manager, kept them up in the PL when they looked vulnerable and in his first season there he also took them to the FA Cup Semi Final for the first time in 40 years.

In his second season as manager at Ewood Park he took Blackburn to a top 6 finish in the premier league.

In his third season as Blackburn manager he ensured they finished 10th in the premier league whilst getting to their third consecutive cup semi final under Hughes.

In his fourth season as Blackburn manager he finished 7th in the premier league.

He then took Fulham to an 8th placed finish in the premier league as their manager.

And as Stoke City manager, in his first season he took them to a 9th placed finish in the premier league, their highest league placing since 1975.

Hughes then took Stoke City to two consecutive 9th placed premier league finishes followed by a 13th placed finish in his following three seasons as their manager in the top flight.

Certainly not the most shabby managerial CV I’ve seen - so, again, why didn’t you ever rate him as a manager?

Thanks for the stats, I was aware of what he’s done (or not done) but it’s nice of you to help re-affirm my original position that I don’t rate him.  

If you are impressed by his CV of winning nothing, and keeping teams in the Prem then that’s up to you, but that doesn’t constitute being a great manager in my book.

I think I will cal him Meh Hughes from now on, he’s just Meh as a manager, if he was our manager I’d think “Meh”

Edited by Tinmans Love Child

6 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Thanks for the stats, I was aware of what he’s done (or not done) but it’s nice of you to help re-affirm my original position that I don’t rate him.  

If you are impressed by his CV of winning nothing, and keeping teams in the Prem then that’s up to you, but that doesn’t constitute being a great manager in my book.

I think I will cal him Meh Hughes from now on, he’s just Meh as a manager, if he was our manager I’d think “Meh”

Over the decades you must have ‘rated’ very few managers then - for the clubs of which Mark Hughes was manager, just staying in the top flight was an achievement - let alone consistently finishing in the top 10 - what would you have thought of a Bristol City manager who delivered three consecutive 9th place finishes in the top tier, as Hughes did at Stoke? You’d have probably been calling for a statue of said boss to be erected outside Ashton Gate - or would you have said ‘Meh, he didn’t actually win anything’ ... 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Over the decades you must have ‘rated’ very few managers then - for the clubs of which Mark Hughes was manager, just staying in the top flight was an achievement - let alone consistently finishing in the top 10 - what would you have thought of a Bristol City manager who delivered three consecutive 9th place finishes in the top tier, as Hughes did at Stoke? You’d have probably been calling for a statue of said boss to be erected outside Ashton Gate - or would you have said ‘Meh, he didn’t actually win anything’ ... 

If we ever get to the Prem and stay there then I will no doubt be annoyed that we haven’t made the Champs league places!

I always want to strive for more, just staying in the prem doing nothing and winning nothing, like Hughes has done, is not for me, it’s dull, what’s the point of it, If you like or rate Mark Hughes that’s fine, I don’t mind.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

If we ever get to the Prem and stay there then I will no doubt be annoyed that we haven’t made the Champs league places!

I always want to strive for more, just staying in the prem doing nothing and winning nothing, like Hughes has done, is not for me, it’s dull, what’s the point of it, If you like or rate Mark Hughes that’s fine, I don’t mind.

So like I said, you obviously never rate around 15 top tier managers every season ... they win nothing but try like mad to stay in the division ... I think that you weren’t entirely aware of Mark Hughes’ impressive achievements as a manager when you posted your disparaging remarks about him and you’ve been backtracking ever since ... ????

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

..... and you ‘don’t rate’ a manager who delivered consistent top half finishes in the top division in England for unfashionable clubs - Blackburn, Fulham and Stoke ... laughable, yet you probably didn’t realise his achievements before posting guff ... ?

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

..... and you ‘don’t rate’ a manager who delivered consistent top half finishes in the top division in England for unfashionable clubs - Blackburn, Fulham and Stoke ... laughable, yet you probably didn’t realise his achievements before posting guff ... ?

You need to get over me having a different opinion to you, what’s with the aggro?  I was fully aware of his “achievements” before you went on Wiki, chill out mate

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

So like I said, you obviously never rate around 15 top tier managers every season ... they win nothing but try like mad to stay in the division ... I think that you weren’t entirely aware of Mark Hughes’ impressive achievements as a manager when you posted your disparaging remarks about him and you’ve been backtracking ever since ... ????

I haven’t back tracked once, I don’t rate him and I haven’t changed that stance, despite you getting funny about it, as I said I was aware of his “impressive achievements” before you went on Wiki, I still don’t rate him, how is that back tracking.  

Not sure what your problem is mate, but if you don’t like other opinions then maybe you shouldn’t post on this forum, maybe join the Mark Hughes Appreciation Society instead?

• Like 1