IGNORED

Mark Hughes

daored

Win win for Hughes and Bradford.

Bradford get a name, and let's be fair he's a decent enough manager, although at the top level is no longer a favourite for vacant managerial posts.

Hughes gets his name back in the game, has a decent enough contract if things go pear shaped, then if things click it could mean someone at this level starts looking his way with a better, more attractive offer.

Of course it could end up being that things click for everyone, and Bradford start climbing again.

Would I be disappointed if we appointed him? I'm not quite sure, always been a bit marmite as a manager for my liking. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I never rated him as a manager and didn’t quite understand how he got some top jobs in the past but this is certainly a fall from grace, shows how tough the old manager game is!

Spot on Tinman, my opinion exactly. Must be Hughes first managerial job outside the PL?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Spot on Tinman, my opinion exactly. Must be Hughes first managerial job outside the PL?

36 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Premier League isn’t Wales

So the Wales job would be a managerial job outside of the Premier League then, would it not?

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

I can't stand Hughes, but it's a decent appointment for him. Bradford must be the largest one-team city to compete at this lowly level. The Bantams heritage means they have a decent latent support base, even if many have stopped attending matches in recent years. 

Don't know, so much, when I was growing up they were always Div3 North or later Div4 (just like their neighbors Park Ave) It was only in the late 80's, early 90's (?) they got bigger, got to Prem and started redeveloping their ground.

1 minute ago, slartibartfast said:

Don't know, so much, when I was growing up they were always Div3 North or later Div4 (just like their neighbors Park Ave) It was only in the late 80's, early 90's (?) they got bigger, got to Prem and started redeveloping their ground.

I did mean their more recent Prem seasons rather than their 1911 FA Cup triumph.  ;)

• Haha 1

Pre season i had my annual largish bet on all four divisions..............MAN CITY - CHAMPS   FULHAM CHAMPS  WIGAN TO BE PROMOTED  BRADFORD CITY TOP 7....It was all going so well, but Bradford are letting me down big time, despite my caution of a top 7 place, they have been a major let down.   Now Mark arrives with Bradford lying 15th with 13 games left, can they do it somehow?   i very much doubt it?  Just goes to show that a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.................why the pheck didn't i pick Forest Green Rovers??

2 hours ago, VT05763 said:

Not the type of Manager to get more out of less.

Bradford need a "real" coach.

This will end in tears, how long it takes is the only debate.

Basically every managerial appointment in football ends in tears at some point, you're hardly making a doomsday prediction there.

Hughes is a good appointment for that level.

10 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

Basically every managerial appointment in football ends in tears at some point, you're hardly making a doomsday prediction there.

Hughes is a good appointment for that level.

Working with league 2 players ? 

Whole different skill set needed to succeed at that level, what you achieved as a player in the top flight means virtually nothing. 

people love a "name" though.

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I can't stand Hughes, but it's a decent appointment for him. Bradford must be the largest one-team city to compete at this lowly level. The Bantams heritage means they have a decent latent support base, even if many have stopped attending matches in recent years. 

One team? Park Avenue still exist.

14 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Whole different skill set needed to succeed at that level, what you achieved as a player in the top flight means virtually nothing. 

Derek Adams looked an excellent appointment, just got a team with the lowest budget in League Two into League One & that didn’t work, either.

Every appointment is a gamble, no fan of Hughes but admire that he’s prepared to drop this low to work again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VT05763 said:

It's nothing to do with what he achieved as a player in the top flight - he has also managed six Premier League sides and a national team.

Most would consider him a success in his roles with Wales, Blackburn, Fulham, and for a long time at Stoke, too.

He's got loads of experience at a very high level, and success there too.

It's a great appointment.

• Flames 1

11 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

You did not say that. In any case, they exist so not a one team City. 

Nowhere is if you are prepared to go down to non-league level. 

BPA hasn't been a league rival to Bradford City for more than 50 years.  Bradford is a large urban area with but one league club. Bristol, by comparison, has two. City and Farcelona. 

4 hours ago, VT05763 said:

Not the type of Manager to get more out of less.

Bradford need a "real" coach.

This will end in tears, how long it takes is the only debate.

I believe there were quite a lot of tears around during Adams reign?  So Hughes won't have to do a great deal to dry those eyes, if he can improve on 15th? ? ?

1 hour ago, Coxy27 said:

It's nothing to do with what he achieved as a player in the top flight - he has also managed six Premier League sides and a national team.

Most would consider him a success in his roles with Wales, Blackburn, Fulham, and for a long time at Stoke, too.

He's got loads of experience at a very high level, and success there too.

It's a great appointment.

He has never worked with League 2 players - massive difference.

Time will tell.