IGNORED

Show of support Saturday - Ukraine

Waconda

21 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Anyone know if the club or fans are planning any type of show of support for Ukraine on Saturday ? Flags etc,

My boy asked me when he got home from school as we are going and I said I would try and find out, says he might make a flag.

its a good question and one that was raised on Bath Rugby Facebook group. My gut reaction is to do it, but in Baths case they have a Russian player which may well put him in a difficult position (in Russia and Bath). City dont have that problem, so yes

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, VT05763 said:

Anyone know if the club or fans are planning any type of show of support for Ukraine on Saturday ? Flags etc,

My boy asked me when he got home from school as we are going and I said I would try and find out, says he might make a flag.

Great to hear that your boy is showing awareness of what is taking place......I wish you and him good luck for Saturday.  It would be excellent to see lots of Ukranian flags at the game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VT05763 said:

I'd love the club to do something, but I'd be surprised if they did.

I think this will need to come from fans like your son. But do it. Get the blue and yellow of Ukraine on show at Ashton Gate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Personally I find it completely inappropriate. That's all.  

Depends how its done, you are right if like Boris lighting up number 10 with the flag in the pretence that he gives a toss about Ukrainians then I would agree with you eg just a photo op and chance to garner media attention for the Brand.

But if it was more like a chance for the people inside the stadium at 3 o'clock Saturday to show some support for the plight of the Ukrainians and also allow my son and other children in attendance see that people actually do care about the fate of others.

Then I would support it and my son for wanting to take part.

Edited by VT05763

51 minutes ago, Lewisdabaron said:

Just play the game as usual. You can do all you like to support the cause away from football. I go to watch to escape the world’s problems. 
(cue the online abuse & confused emjois as usual)

Well said. Want to really help rather than the suggested virtue signalling?

https://www.bristolworld.com/culture/where-in-bristol-can-i-donate-clothes-to-ukraine-how-to-help-refugees-with-donations-and-volunteering-3592181

This may not be a popular view bit I feel the need to say it, and I make no apologies for doing so.

I applaud any action that directly supports the Ukraine in its struggle against that bastard Putin, however I find many of the ‘support’ actions suggested on here and other places sadly inappropriate, and of no use to anyone.

Innocent civilians and Ukrainian soldiers defending their country are being murdered en mass by an enemy who has vastly superior numbers, firepower and technology.

If people want to truly help, draping yourself in a blue and yellow flag or applauding at a given time isn’t helping in the slightest, they know we support them as demonstrated by governments around the world taking actions to hurt the Russian economy.

If people want to help then hard cash to a recognised charity, a letter to your MP supporting the governments actions and demanding further aid and further economic actions are just a couple of things that may go just  a small way in helping.

I fear that many thousands of Civilians will die until the Ukrainians agree to a ceasefire and that will mean that Bastard Putin has won, as he surely will.

This is going to be a long drawn out affair, many years will pass before the Russians leave Ukraine, until that time comes, and it will, the Ukraine and its people need genuine support, not gestures.

OK so I humbly apologise for suggesting Ukrainian colours would be a nice sign of support.

By the same logic, someone is going to say that making a donation to Ukrainian charities is also reprehensible as both ineffectual and just for show.

Maybe volunteering for the Ukrainian army? 

The first thing anyone might want to do is to call Ukraine Ukraine and not "the" Ukraine which essentially plays right into the hands of putinist propaganda, I know a lot of you like to whinge about the nuances of language and snowflakes and want to know why it matters but in this case that one word makes a huge difference, here is why: 

essentially, Ukraine (possibly) translates to borderland, by using the definite article it essentially belittles the country to being part of/the borderland of russia/the ussr, it's why the usage of it fell off a cliff when they gained independence during the fall of the ussr, yes its likely no one in russia or ukraine will ever see it but essentially it's insulting and belittling, Ukraine is the official name of the country within its independence documents, I know its a tiny thing but language does matter a lot, if you're the type of person who usually thinks 'eh who cares' when people talk about how much language matters, let this be the one time you acquiesce, please.

Re: 'pointless' signs of solidarity, you never know who might see it who might find just a little bit of joy in it. I'm sure we've all seen just how much it clearly meant to Zinchenko at the Everton - Man City game, you never know who might have family, friends, their home in Ukraine who'll walk past a stadium or a building and see it and have it mean something to them even if its only for a few seconds. You never know who might see something on TV and have a gesture on TV mean something to them. Clearly its not material support, clearly they would rather have a no fly zone or more assistance or even help with food, resources etc (there are lots of initiatives going round so if you want to help that way and haven't a quick google or search on facebook should help you find somewhere to help in that way, if not, lots of the polish groups/societies/associations are organising that sort of thing so look there) but if something means someone to even just 1 second or 5 seconds then that's better than nothing no? Better than feeling totally isolated and alone. Considering it's no hardship to the club, no hardship to any of us I don't see any harm in it.  

(I'm not a fan of no.10 being lit in Ukrainian colours whilst they refuse to waive visas for refugees in contravention of what most other european countries have done but the club doesn't control that) 

• Like 11
  • Flames 2