IGNORED

Crowd

Henry

6 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I was sitting in the middle of the main stand at Trumpton for a certain derby match one May evening in 1990. Long story. Needless to say, I never had to test the outcome of my being the only person to leap up and celebrate a goal. Although being the only person sitting on your hands whilst others around you celebrate wildly is possibly an even worse experience. 

Me too, I was in the Rovers end that night, not a pleasant experience to say the least, as you say, didn't have anything to celebrate and I managed to stay under the radar.

33 minutes ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

Do you know they were "coked up", or is this an assumption? Not saying you're wrong, but hear this a lot at the moment, and wonder how people know? 

I heard they were on a Fanta & 7 Up combo. Nothing good comes from that!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Leroyfromthestart said:

I agree that some will have seen it and should report it (maybe some have reported it), but I was watching the game and didn’t see who threw the objects. 

I reiterate that this is for the police/stewards/safety officer/club to use the cctv to identify the perpetrators.

I think the problem is that part of the standing section next to the dolman seams to have been taken over by teenagers who are trying to make a name for themselves no one really there to have a word, as someone who's was there a bit further around near the drum I can say that everyone around me was embarrassed as they keep doing these tinpot things, 

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

There was 15000 of us and there was plenty of trouble around. The 70s was one big football punch up/riot and you are arguing things/people are worse now?
Is your memory getting a bit hazy!

I have not argued at all that things or people are worse or better now.

I have just tried to make the point that there is no justification for violence whatsoever just because someone supports a different team.

I have just expressed the view that football fans of whatever team should be able to control themselves enough to be able to watch and celebrate their team without the need to resort to violence.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, weepywall said:

Me too, I was in the Rovers end that night, not a pleasant experience to say the least, as you say, didn't have anything to celebrate and I managed to stay under the radar.

I took a gas supporting mate of mine to the Gate years ago. He was in the army so wasn't any slouch. He decided, against my advice, to sit on the old grandstand,  next to the gas support when they were in the east end.

We were surrounded by South Bristols finest, you know the type, banned from the venturer for fighting.

City scored 3 and my poor gas mate had to celebrate every time or we would have been slaughtered. He hadn't been to the Gate since!

Bloody funny at the time!

Saying about 'home' stands, I work in London a fair bit, at Guys hospital so have got into the habit of going to Millwall for something to do. I always sit in the same place, speak to the locals and sometimes hear 'Bristol are in then', never had a hint of trouble from the locals and they are partisan as hell. I rather enjoy it tbh.

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Redtucks said:

Yes it's an emotional game, but no more emotional than the last game at Coventry of our first season back in the top division in 1977.

I sat next to a Coventry fan, he celebrated both goals as they went 2-0 up, we argued throughout the game and I celebrated our goals as we equalised at 2-2. At no time did I feel the need to throw punches at him even though I felt he was talking bollox most of the game.

At the end of the game when we had both survived relegation, we hugged each other and both went onto the pitch to celebrate with other fans of both sides.

What is it that makes things so different these days?

48 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

I have not argued at all that things or people are worse or better now.

I have just tried to make the point that there is no justification for violence whatsoever just because someone supports a different team.

I have just expressed the view that football fans of whatever team should be able to control themselves enough to be able to watch and celebrate their team without the need to resort to violence.

These days. Your words.

So you have argued exactly what you are now saying you have not! 

There wasn’t a riot at Coventry because everyone was pretty bloody happy.

I will assume as you said you were you were actually there! 

If a visiting supporter had been stupid enough to get on the EE circa 1968/1995 and celebrated a goal to coin a phrase “he would of got his effing head kicked in”

Football was sanitized with the influx of money post premier league and crowd segregation. The bloke here got off lightly compared to his fate in 77. 

Argue all you like but the bloke made his choices to ignore segregation. Not only ignoring the rules and regs around football, but at a time when the world is on a precipice and tensions are high!

Not clever! 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

These days. Your words.

So you have argued exactly what you are now saying you have not! 

There wasn’t a riot at Coventry because everyone was pretty bloody happy.

I will assume as you said you were you were actually there! 

If a visiting supporter had been stupid enough to get on the EE circa 1968/1995 and celebrated a goal to coin a phrase “he would of got his effing head kicked in”

Football was sanitized with the influx of money post premier league and crowd segregation. The bloke here got off lightly compared to his fate in 77. 

Argue all you like but the bloke made his choices to ignore segregation. Not only ignoring the rules and regs around football, but at a time when the world is on a precipice and tensions are high!

Not clever! 

Doesn't justify violence though does it???

Or do you feel that it does???

That's the only point I have tried to make. Not very clearly by the length of your reply!

3 hours ago, weepywall said:

I was in the rovers end that night too & when Holloway scores pen you will see about 4 people on the fence not celebrate.  Didn’t know the others but we were all City. Worst part of night was leaving to be greeted by hundreds of city running everywhere shouting do him he’s gs as came from rovers end.  Wasn’t my best ever night has to be said but fortunately I knew a couple of lads who confirmed I was City.

1 hour ago, Redtucks said:

Doesn't justify violence though does it???

Or do you feel that it does???

That's the only point I have tried to make. Not very clearly by the length of your reply!

Nothing does and you can keep going as much as you like!

Do I feel it does. :laugh:! 

However you made the bad comparisons! All I can think is you were not there!

3 hours ago, winsaw said:

I think the problem is that part of the standing section next to the dolman seams to have been taken over by teenagers who are trying to make a name for themselves no one really there to have a word, as someone who's was there a bit further around near the drum I can say that everyone around me was embarrassed as they keep doing these tinpot things, 

This particular section of the ground needs to be stewarded and policed more tightly for the foreseeable until the "hilarious"  throwing items at the corner taker behaviour ceases. 

Edited by Red-Robbo
  • Like 2

Not sure if City do this for every game but my son's school got given free tickets for the game, I thought it was a bit strange given Birmingham do have a reputation for bringing large numbers and the odd bit of trouble. We sat in W3 of the upper lansdown so had full view of the trouble in the Dolman A block, what with flares and objects being thrown I was surprised my 8 year old son was ok with it all. He did make me chuckle when he saw all the police outside after and said I know they need to make sure everyone gets home safe but this is a bit over the top isn't it dad!!! 

I did laugh at a few Birmingham fans in the beer factory after the game, they were trying to decide where to watch the Liverpool game and decided that the Three lions sports bar would be ok as it wasn't too close to the ground

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Shuffle said:

I was in the rovers end that night too & when Holloway scores pen you will see about 4 people on the fence not celebrate.  Didn’t know the others but we were all City. Worst part of night was leaving to be greeted by hundreds of city running everywhere shouting do him he’s gs as came from rovers end.  Wasn’t my best ever night has to be said but fortunately I knew a couple of lads who confirmed I was City.

I was next to that little bit of garden fence that was near the corner flag at what they call the Bath end, I also had to convince some very angry City fans that I wasn't Gas.

• Like 1

The tossers in the '82 section' are a complete embarrassment tbh and have been for a while. The latest thing with trying to put off anyone taking a corner, chucking stuff at them and then the smoke bomb and can of Haze on Saturday. Area is full of young wannabes still $h*ting yellow or older ****ts who still think they are proper hard. What a state.

• Like 2

On 06/03/2022 at 08:21, richwwtk said:

Well that's embarrassing.

The guy probably shouldn't have celebrated as thugs do indeed exist, but people can't handle it and feel the need to use violence? Pathetic.

Of course the guy was better off keeping quiet. But 100% agreed – you'd think that there wasn't enough violence in the world at the moment wouldn't you? 

What would make you start hitting someone because of that? It is pathetic, embarrassing behaviour. 

If you need to just give him a hard time with some banter. It's only a game funnily enough...

On 06/03/2022 at 07:46, Henry said:

Surprised it’s not been mentioned. What idiot would throw a flare at a player whilst taking a corner? Looked even more tinpot when they score from the corner.

Along with the scuffle in the Dolman, you’d take the FA might start taking action against us.

Although it was quite funny that the Birmingham fans inadvertently threw a flare at their own goalkeeper as he was about to take a goal kick – perhaps his flourescent kit made them confuse him with a steward.

On 06/03/2022 at 11:20, RedM said:

I think the Stewards should be more active. Recently it has been really lapse with people drinking alcohol and vaping during matches, if they aren’t spotting this how are they meant to to deal with anything more serious.

Mates rates yesterday certainly didn’t help

Spot on.

What the **** was going on with the flares? One of theirs was allowed to burn on the pitch for what seemed like ages, ours then seemed to be dealt with in a way that caused more smoke than when it was thrown.

The stewarding is just pitiful, a few games ago one came up to me & those sat by me & said someone was vaping, I told him I have never smoked & if he cared to look in the row behind me he would see someone doing so, he just shrugged his shoulders & walked off.

People moaned about being searched but there has to be some sort of a plan to stop this happening.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Nothing does and you can keep going as much as you like!

Do I feel it does. :laugh:! 

However you made the bad comparisons! All I can think is you were not there!

You seem to be more intent on questioning whether I was at Coventry in 1977 or whether I feel things are better or worse compared to the past, rather than supporting or disagreeing with my view that violence towards someone that supports an opposition team is unacceptable.

Whatever you feel, I'll leave it there!!!

• Haha 1

On 06/03/2022 at 11:20, RedM said:

I think the Stewards should be more active. Recently it has been really lapse with people drinking alcohol and vaping during matches, if they aren’t spotting this how are they meant to to deal with anything more serious.

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Spot on.

What the **** was going on with the flares? One of theirs was allowed to burn on the pitch for what seemed like ages, ours then seemed to be dealt with in a way that caused more smoke than when it was thrown.

The stewarding is just pitiful, a few games ago one came up to me & those sat by me & said someone was vaping, I told him I have never smoked & if he cared to look in the row behind me he would see someone doing so, he just shrugged his shoulders & walked off.

People moaned about being searched but there has to be some sort of a plan to stop this happening.

There are a range of factors. Arrests are certainly up this season, on property seasons. Low to medium level nonsense a lot of it probably but arrests are arrests and an indication that behaviour has changed- talking nationally BTW.

Then, there is combined with this a slow burning issue that has likely accelerated this season of a shortage of experienced stewards- again nationally speaking but probably the case at AG too. This was in 2019 and I expect Covid has exacerbated it.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11663155/safety-union-declares-nationwide-shortage-of-stewards

What happens when you lack numbers? Gaps are filled with young, inexperienced, poorly trained, probably incompetent agency stewards- being agency they probably aren't wildly motivated either and the results speak for themselves.

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

There are a range of factors. Arrests are certainly up this season, on property seasons. Low to medium level nonsense a lot of it probably but arrests are arrests and an indication that behaviour has changed- talking nationally BTW.

Then, there is combined with this a slow burning issue that has likely accelerated this season of a shortage of experienced stewards- again nationally speaking but probably the case at AG too. This was in 2019 and I expect Covid has exacerbated it.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11663155/safety-union-declares-nationwide-shortage-of-stewards

What happens when you lack numbers? Gaps are filled with young, inexperienced, poorly trained, probably incompetent agency stewards- being agency they probably aren't wildly motivated either and the results speak for themselves.

There’s a different steward on our entry to the stadium at every game? 

I wonder…….Do they get moved elsewhere for each game, or are they new recruits for ones who only last one game?

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Spot on.

I think it’s only a matter of time before we are hit with a very heavy fine, it’s every match now something happens. I can see the club not selling tickets to under 18’s in that corner if we are charged and fined. There then will be an outcry but unless it’s stopped now it might happen.

Or maybe it’s already too late. The club will have to be seen as doing something.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, whoklldredrobin said:

Of course the guy was better off keeping quiet. But 100% agreed – you'd think that there wasn't enough violence in the world at the moment wouldn't you? 

What would make you start hitting someone because of that? It is pathetic, embarrassing behaviour. 

If you need to just give him a hard time with some banter. It's only a game funnily enough...

Football is so so much more than just a game I am afraid, runs much deeper . Been telling my Mrs this for years and she still doesn’t get the whole feeling of what it’s like supporting your club up and down the country for over 40 years. Passion , loyalties and friendship and respect , make it so much more than just a game. If it was just a game we wouldn’t pin our colours to the mast .

Tiddlywinks is just a game 

Edited by Wealwayseatcheese
  • Like 1

On 06/03/2022 at 08:21, richwwtk said:

Well that's embarrassing.

The guy probably shouldn't have celebrated as thugs do indeed exist, but people can't handle it and feel the need to use violence? Pathetic.

I abhor violence.

The one thing that is absolutely guaranteed is an away fan sitting in a section of youngish City fans and celebrating a goal unless we are winning 10-0. It doesn't make it right but a violent reaction is as odds on as an arrest at a protest in Moscow.

The stupidity of football fans has no boundaries or limits but even the most ignorant know that if you sit with the opposition fans- shut the **** up or get a slap or two.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedLionLad said:

There’s a different steward on our entry to the stadium at every game? 

I wonder…….Do they get moved elsewhere for each game, or are they new recruits for ones who only last one game?

Who knows- tbh I am using it based on an account by my mate who works at another ground but there is definitely a shortage it would appear...unsure where they've gone but both in absolute numbers and experienced- and knock on effects such as what we are seeing is no great surprise. Maybe agency ones are less regular let's say, ie agency send different ones periodically.

• Admin
7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Anyway bottom line is, people can moan on here if they want but based on that article and the complaints on here, the situation- nationally and at AG- has been a while in the making and will probably take a while to turn round.

It isn't just football though, society has gone darker since the lockdowns

There are more problems in and around bars etc now.

We had a young farmers convention in Weston over the weekend just gone, they caused mayhem all around town, with multiple bars being vandalised and fights etc in the streets

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

It isn't just football though, society has gone darker since the lockdowns

There are more problems in and around bars etc now.

We had a young farmers convention in Weston over the weekend just gone, they caused mayhem all around town, with multiple bars being vandalised and fights etc in the streets

Yeah some truth to that...society and football do feed into each other, by which I mean football doesn't exist in a vacuum but within society.

Post lockdown, it can certainly be edgier- agreed. In a football specific context though, society issues post lockdown plus the bit about a shortage of stewards and experienced stewards- makes for a less than ideal mix I think. Rugby too has had more issues post lockdown as you and others have mentioned- think that is mainly alcohol based but something that wasn't there before.