IGNORED

Match Report: City players reward themselves with another day off

Olé

Got to agree with all this.

James and Massengo were very poor indeed.   I don't see the point of James at all and HNM was muscled off the ball whenever he got near it and he keeps giving the ball away.   Weimann hardly got a touch and scuffed it when he did.

Cundy and Atkinson are big question marks for me at this level.  Barnsley are not a good team and they ran us ragged whenever they felt like it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Olé said:

I am not Pearson out, I desperately want him to be a success - he describes the games the way I see them and brings a level of experience and toughness that we haven't had. With all that said, I have had enough of believing he is not part of the problem - there is no way any manager on earth gets away with pretending that what is now a) the most chaotically inconsistent side I can remember and b) the weakest and most poorly drilled defensively side at this level since we were last relegated, is not in some way down to the manager, his coaches and what they do in training.

They have a pedigree to be better both defensively and mentally. I have a horrible feeling that he has failed to take control or inspire confidence in this squad and will be clinging on until he is sacked when it becomes obvious or we simply collapse. That's not to say the side is good enough but if improvement is not consistent and entrenched over time there's no point in being here. And Nige doesn't seem to be able to carry his improvements from one game to the next. That's the worst of it.

That's the problem. If he does, he has 0 influence on changing it which is the biggest reason I want him gone 

39 minutes ago, Olé said:

I am not Pearson out, I desperately want him to be a success - he describes the games the way I see them and brings a level of experience and toughness that we haven't had. With all that said, I have had enough of believing he is not part of the problem - there is no way any manager on earth gets away with pretending that what is now a) the most chaotically inconsistent side I can remember and b) the weakest and most poorly drilled defensively side at this level since we were last relegated, is not in some way down to the manager, his coaches and what they do in training.

They have a pedigree to be better both defensively and mentally. I have a horrible feeling that he has failed to take control or inspire confidence in this squad and will be clinging on until he is sacked when it becomes obvious or we simply collapse. That's not to say the side is good enough but if improvement is not consistent and entrenched over time there's no point in being here. And Nige doesn't seem to be able to carry his improvements from one game to the next. That's the worst of it.

Edited by AshtonGreat

Just watched the goals again- the first was okay movement at least, but the 2nd was not far off a free header- to lose to those is not good.

Well maybe not free header but there was very little covering, screening of Helik for that 2nd. Just not good.

Miss by Weimann? Remember it in real time on the screen, on the highlights even worse although it came across quick and tbh he is among the least of our issues currently!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Just watched the goals again- the first was okay movement at least, but the 2nd was not far off a free header- to lose to those is not good.

Well maybe not free header but there was very little covering, screening of Helik for that 2nd. Just not good.

Miss by Weimann? Remember it in real time on the screen, on the highlights even worse although it came across quick and tbh he is among the least of our issues currently!

Just watched them back, and I don’t think the cameraman helps us really see the full extent of what went on, e.g. Helik’s run (who missed the flick)…but it’s a catalogue of individual “errors”.

Second goal, Cundy gets blocked, held, whatever and loses Helik’s run, but we don’t really see why that came about.

Whilst the split zonal / blocking (marking) worked really well up until Xmas, it’s now an Achilles heel.

But our players ultimately have got to show more nous, strength, commitment to defending the goal.  Sometimes you have to accept that a perfectly whipped ball in has been our undoing.  But that wasn’t the case last night…no excuses.

Ok, seen the behind goal camera.

Not sure you need the annotations, but 3 players at fault…Cundy, James and Semenyo.

Helik the target

Gomes to take James away from intended delivery target

Really basic stuff that we should be able to cope with.

For all of you blaming zonal, it’s actually the man-to-man stuff that lets us down.  I think teams have wised up that if you go near post 6 yard box, then Martin or whoever head it away, but if you go 8-10 yards out, you can block runners and get free headers.

6C03DCF9-FA35-4B21-9194-DC190D74B067.thumb.jpeg.d3b34ca566faa6d609bb0f2324c25682.jpeg

29476CFB-D626-4AE8-AB14-43A6799B7756.thumb.jpeg.c9dcbb4c2c8042d254f379a3d83c4a2b.jpeg

CBC9A184-94DC-49FF-8950-50C775234130.thumb.jpeg.a20d5afa8150c9064cef69c8a9ab1d5b.jpeg

43B1F149-37DA-49AB-AD8F-A3A81A8D52CB.thumb.jpeg.8d9c170f5ba9a7ed309b2b7b273806f8.jpeg

1F89A3A4-1CBA-416C-AE9F-880C094303E1.thumb.jpeg.284ff74bbb3885e98bd050e45b8b3ba7.jpeg

6C2741FD-696A-4EFF-883C-E28321DB8FF0.thumb.jpeg.2b9b1cbf5c953fd896741cf0e744db8a.jpeg

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Just watched them back, and I don’t think the cameraman helps us really see the full extent of what went on, e.g. Helik’s run (who missed the flick)…but it’s a catalogue of individual “errors”.

Second goal, Cundy gets blocked, held, whatever and loses Helik’s run, but we don’t really see why that came about.

Whilst the split zonal / blocking (marking) worked really well up until Xmas, it’s now an Achilles heel.

But our players ultimately have got to show more nous, strength, commitment to defending the goal.  Sometimes you have to accept that a perfectly whipped ball in has been our undoing.  But that wasn’t the case last night…no excuses.

Ok, seen the behind goal camera.

Not sure you need the annotations, but 3 players at fault…Cundy, James and Semenyo.

Helik the target

Gomes to take James away from intended delivery target

Really basic stuff that we should be able to cope with.

For all of you blaming zonal, it’s actually the man-to-man stuff that lets us down.  I think teams have wised up that if you go near post 6 yard box, then Martin or whoever head it away, but if you go 8-10 yards out, you can block runners and get free headers.

6C03DCF9-FA35-4B21-9194-DC190D74B067.thumb.jpeg.d3b34ca566faa6d609bb0f2324c25682.jpeg

29476CFB-D626-4AE8-AB14-43A6799B7756.thumb.jpeg.c9dcbb4c2c8042d254f379a3d83c4a2b.jpeg

CBC9A184-94DC-49FF-8950-50C775234130.thumb.jpeg.a20d5afa8150c9064cef69c8a9ab1d5b.jpeg

43B1F149-37DA-49AB-AD8F-A3A81A8D52CB.thumb.jpeg.8d9c170f5ba9a7ed309b2b7b273806f8.jpeg

1F89A3A4-1CBA-416C-AE9F-880C094303E1.thumb.jpeg.284ff74bbb3885e98bd050e45b8b3ba7.jpeg

6C2741FD-696A-4EFF-883C-E28321DB8FF0.thumb.jpeg.2b9b1cbf5c953fd896741cf0e744db8a.jpeg

Yeah I mentioned similar (less detail ;)) on the match thread last night. Cundy gets blocked off in an identical manner for both goals, and misses what should (not fully apportioning blame as there's more!) have been his balls to clear or man to put off both times. 

It's annoying because it's literally the EXACT same corner both times - everyone is stood in exactly the same place on both teams, the ball goes to the same place both times, and the same thing happens both times.

Aaaaargh.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Olé said:

After finally winning an away game (up at Blackburn on Saturday) the least surprising thing ever happened as Nigel Pearson's sad disinterested rabble handed themselves yet another day off for managing to win a game - like Bramhall Lane, Forest, Blackpool and many others beforehand - this time allowing relegation threatened Barnsley to run riot.

The Tykes converted twice in 20 minutes via headers from uncontested left wing corners, in a match where City gave the ball away or made unforced errors the entire time, while being non existent in midfield, getting two of their more influential midfielders injured, and anonymous save for Semenyo's attempts to single handedly kick start a first half revival. 

Instead of teammates following his lead and putting a foot on the ball to go at opponents like the City youngster, after the break they decided it'd be easier on balance if they all just gave the ball away and watched on as the survival battling hosts teed off time and again at Bentley's goal in an even more one sided half that could easily have ended 4-0.

From the off Semenyo's purpose won a right wing corner on a rare break but all the drive and purpose was from Barnsley to open City up. After 10 Cundy gave away a corner from their left and Wolfe headed back at the far post to where Morris hooked easily inside an empty near post. Calamitous defending for a side setup with three big centre backs.

For City Semenyo won a corner and Matty James - awful throughout - screwed miles wide from the edge of box after DaSilva and Massengo combined down the left. But the quality was coming from Barnsley and by 20  another left wing corner (stalled by the ref for the ball outside the quadrant) saw Helik easily peel off and head in at the far post. 

This was abysmal stuff from the supposedly renewed and bouyant away City side. On 28 a chance of a response - Semenyo showed brilliant skill to drop a shoulder to turn away from the last man on the left, racing clear to the byline to cross low and hard into the box but Weimann met the ball in the box with an unusually wild finish that went high and wide.

Things got worse as City lost Alex Scott to a knee injury before the break, Williams on in the so far anonymous midfield while DaSilva switched to right wing back and Weimann pushed forward. The visitors enjoyed a spell of pressure around the box but as usual an unforced error ended it, Massengo gave the ball away left wing with teammates forward. 

After half time City's only hope Semenyo got away from his marker with neat footwork at the second attempt and fed DaSilva running into the right of the box but his low shot was held. City were comically bad from then on - James gave it away in his own half under no pressure while sub Williams limped back off as a porous midfield went from bad to worse.

Striker Wells was on and his first input was to get to the byline and then simply lift the ball out of play under no pressure and with Semenyo in the six yard box. Barnsley didn't need much invitation to carve through their opponents and after an hour tore in off the right, several balls causing panic, as Morris forced the best of several blocks and saves.

No surprise another left wing corner and yet another no show from City as Quina on the edge of the box had time to volley into the side netting. Next Weimann was robbed in open play and Quina lashed another shot in on goal from range just past the far post. At the other end Martin headed over leaning in to James' right wing cross from a rare move.

City briefly rallied and DaSilva went clear to force a parry from which Semenyo forced a save with the rebound and Atkinson headed over from a corner. It was a brief sideshow. Bassi had space on the left to force Bentley to save at the second attempt. Fullback Vita then also forced a stinging save at the near post. Barnsley in first gear and all over us.

Next DaSilva half cleared straight to Brittain who put Bassi in down the right channel - to volley narrowly past Bentley's near post. Yet another sighter and with better finishing this awful City side would be 4 or 5-0 down. One more push for a response saw Weimann put Semenyo into space down the left channel - but he injured himself lashing wildly over.

In injury time easily our best chance of the game as Wells got to the byline on the right and lifted a perfect ball that Martin steered goalwards to be cleared off the line under the bar - from the recycle sub Conway saw his shot deflected wide. Before the end City picked out Wells with keeper to beat but he didn't connect with a simple near post flick.

It summed up an evening where City made a lifetime's worth of unforced errors and never got close to shutting down or slowing down a relegation threatened Barnsley side which was supposed to be their inferior. The reality is that while Pearson's side has good days, it is not clear if they have many sides worse than them, such is their awful consistency.

After all the positivity off a win at Blackburn (a win at Blackburn!) the truth is no matter how much the club spin us out with endless "uncut" video of players training (they train! this is remarkable!) this is easily the softest and most easily found out set of players we have had since we were last relegated and Pearson has no idea how to manage them.

Bentley 6

Klose 5

Atkinson 4

Cundy 4

DaSilva 6

Weimann 4

James 3

Massengo 3

Scott 4

Martin 4

Semenyo 7

Williams 4

Wells 4

Conway 5

You saved the best and most accurate sentence to last, damning of both players and manager. 
The team that finished last season was the worst in recent times but it was stripped of so many players because of injury. This team does not have the same excuse. (There are a few injuries but nowhere near so many.)

1 hour ago, IAmNick said:

Yeah I mentioned similar (less detail ;)) on the match thread last night. Cundy gets blocked off in an identical manner for both goals, and misses what should (not fully apportioning blame as there's more!) have been his balls to clear or man to put off both times. 

It's annoying because it's literally the EXACT same corner both times - everyone is stood in exactly the same place on both teams, the ball goes to the same place both times, and the same thing happens both times.

Aaaaargh.

And our set pieces? Pot luck at best

12 hours ago, Olé said:

Trouble is, you state thus: "Pearson has no idea how to manage them". Now, you are clearly a very organised, focused, diligent and detail driven sort of chap, not one to suffer fools nor B.S. How can a man with "no idea" still be given control? Let's put it another way, from a non logical point of view (since football suppport is not always grounded in logic). If he has no idea, then he needs a team around him who do have an idea. He's already dumped two assistants/coaches. Are Fleming, Mountain and Cissé the answer? It would appear not. Clearly he won't get the sack in the fixures remaining (if only from a cost point of view). That being so, who is most expendable? I'd say Mountain, who, we are led to believe, "organises" set pice drills and defensive shape.  If we are not changing the leader, then we need to change the troops, or at least one of them. To do nothing is utter madness. If Pearson really retained "toughness" he would have sorted this by now. By that, I mean we would have gone through a spell of being boring, at least to steady things and get some consistency. The much maligned Johnson Jr did boring, with 4-1-4-1 away from home (admittedly with Fam up top). People hated it at times but it was effective, to a point. Anyway, enough of history. Any coach worth anything at all would have stopped the rot by being defensive and tough to beat, at least away from home (though Pearson says we don't have the players to do that! That's a lame excuse for poor coaching). We have an open door policy a the back. It is shamefully inept and cavalier. It in no way reflects the romantic perception of Pearson as this tough, no nonsense General. It's far more Corporal Jones in reality. As to the much peddled myth of youth, I think the stattos will find that our avearge starting 11 age is probably mid table. There are other teams with more kids, less budget, greater challenges that are doing much, much better with less reputation at the helm.

Edited by The Original OTIB
spelling
  • Like 4

Whilst the midfield was awful - a few matches ago the midfield, which was mainly the kids, started to look promising.

As soon as James and Williams started playing any fluidity and drive seems to have totally disappeared.

I can’t remember James’s contract details - but I really hope he’s gone at the end of the season.  As for Williams - will he ever stay fit??

2 hours ago, firstdivision said:

You saved the best and most accurate sentence to last, damning of both players and manager. 
The team that finished last season was the worst in recent times but it was stripped of so many players because of injury. This team does not have the same excuse. (There are a few injuries but nowhere near so many.)

I thought the best line was the OP's Thread title, the players rewarding themselves with a day off having won at the weekend (needn't have said any more than that).

Like last season, Nige arrives, we win two games, we're safe and the players take the rest of the season off.

The only way to "manage" this squad is to get rid of the wasters and the easily satisfied/complacent, and bring in better, hungrier characters.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

I thought the best line was the OP's Thread title, the players rewarding themselves with a day off having won at the weekend (needn't have said any more than that).

Like last season, Nige arrives, we win two games, we're safe and the players take the rest of the season off.

The only way to "manage" this squad is to get rid of the wasters and the easily satisfied/complacent, and bring in better, hungrier characters.

Just said something similar on another thread it's about desire,heart and passion if that's not there then bye.

1 hour ago, The Original OTIB said:

By that, I mean we would have gone through a spell of being boring, at least to steady things and get some consistency. The much maligned Johnson Jr did boring, with 4-1-4-1 away from home (admittedly with Fam up top). People hated it at times but it was effective, to a point.

He did that….but the fans hated it!  We didn’t score as many as now, but we didn’t concede as many as now either.  We had 4W 4D 3L 16Pts / 11 games when we win at Peterborough before the break….and that was without a home win.

Okay, I’m being a bit facetious, but you get my point.

37 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He did that….but the fans hated it!  We didn’t score as many as now, but we didn’t concede as many as now either.  We had 4W 4D 3L 16Pts / 11 games when we win at Peterborough before the break….and that was without a home win.

Okay, I’m being a bit facetious, but you get my point.

Not really Dave. Success derives from points on the board. Your example averages 1.45 per game = nearly 67 points over a season. That's top 10 form.  Will we get anywhere near that now? No chance of that.

1 hour ago, The Original OTIB said:

Trouble is, you state thus: "Pearson has no idea how to manage them". Now, you are clearly a very organised, focused, diligent and detail driven sort of chap, not one to suffer fools nor B.S. How can a man with "no idea" still be given control? Let's put it another way, from a non logical point of view (since football suppport is not always grounded in logic). If he has no idea, then he needs a team around him who do have an idea. He's already dumped two assistants/coaches. Are Fleming, Mountain and Cissé the answer? It would appear not. Clearly he won't get the sack in the fixures remaining (if only from a cost point of view). That being so, who is most expendable? I'd say Mountain, who, we are led to believe, "organises" set pice drills and defensive shape.  If we are not changing the leader, then we need to change the troops, or at least one of them. To do nothing is utter madness. If Pearson really retained "toughness" he would have sorted this by now. By that, I mean we would have gone through a spell of being boring, at least to steady things and get some consistency. The much maligned Johnson Jr did boring, with 4-1-4-1 away from home (admittedly with Fam up top). People hated it at times but it was effective, to a point. Anyway, enough of history. Any coach worth anything at all would have stopped the rot by being defensive and tough to beat, at least away from home (though Pearson says we don't have the players to do that! That's a lame excuse for poor coaching). We have an open door policy a the back. It is shamefully inept and cavalier. It in no way reflects the romantic perception of Pearson as this tough, no nonsense General. It's far more Corporal Jones in reality. As to the much peddled myth of youth, I think the stattos will find that our avearge starting 11 age is probably mid table. There are other teams with more kids, less budget, greater challenges that are doing much, much better with less reputation at the helm.

Something else to chew on, we are first for goals conceded in the first half of games, and third for goals conceded in the second half of games (only Reading and Posh are worse). Ergo, the Pearson team talks/changes make next to no difference at all.

3 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

Not really Dave. Success derives from points on the board. Your example averages 1.45 per game = nearly 67 points over a season. That's top 10 form.  Will we get anywhere near that now? No chance of that.

The point I’m badly making (sorry) is that we were boring early season, but more effective.  But I also think injuries meant we couldn’t persist with that style (Baker pretty key to our robustness defensively).

Bentley made a point a week or so ago that they purposely played more direct early season to keep the ball further from our goal (paraphrased what he said).

The fans moaned like hell about it. ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

Just now, Davefevs said:

The point I’m badly making (sorry) is that we were boring early season, but more effective.  But I also think injuries meant we couldn’t persist with that style (Baker pretty key to our robustness defensively).

Bentley made a point a week or so ago that they purposely played more direct early season to keep the ball further from our goal (paraphrased what he said).

The fans moaned like hell about it. ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

I totally disagree. We could have set out a way to play and stuck to it. What we have is random at best. People are wedded to "facts" that simply are not true. We don't have the worst injury record, we don't have the youngest squad, we don't have the youngest average starting 11 age, and on and on and on. There are others far worse off than us yet they get on with it, much better in many cases.

• Like 1