IGNORED

Match Report: City players reward themselves with another day off

Olé

7 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

I totally disagree. We could have set out a way to play and stuck to it. What we have is random at best. People are wedded to "facts" that simply are not true. We don't have the worst injury record, we don't have the youngest squad, we don't have the youngest average starting 11 age, and on and on and on. There are others far worse off than us yet they get on with it, much better in many cases.

We probably agree in fact….because I would’ve stuck to it too.  I was referring to what I think Pearson thought.

I would’ve carried on with boring old 442 / 4411.  There were probably a couple / few games where we’d have had to play Pring and Kalas at CB, or Vyner and Kalas, but we would’ve built familiarity.

• Like 1

agree with everything Ole said, other than Semenyo 7 (more like a 4 for me).

He tried hard (he always does and is a very honest player), but he was poor on the night, slipping over a lot an often forgetting to take the ball with him. he need to improve his heading as he often jumps and completely misses the ball.

I forgive him it all though as he is a joy to watch, a lovely guy, still learning and i think still improving. physically he has everything

• Like 1

Just now, Davefevs said:

We probably agree in fact….because I would’ve stuck to it too.  I was referring to what I think Pearson thought.

I would’ve carried on with boring old 442 / 4411.  There were probably a couple / few games where we’d have had to play Pring and Kalas at CB, or Vyner and Kalas, but we would’ve built familiarity.

Which gets back to my point to Ole. Pearson and his team simply are not delivering what is required. Every hard fact stat says we are doing terribly under his tenure, all things (fairly and equitably) considered. We're even the joint worst team from winning positions, ergo, he does not know how to see out games. Also,  we are first for goals conceded in the first half of games, and third for goals conceded in the second half of games (only Reading and Posh are worse). Ergo, the Pearson team talks/changes make next to no difference at all. He's failing, miserably. Is he going to get sacked, no. Which means that something else has to change. 

• Like 2

Pearson does not coach, will not have anything to do with agents, won't loan players., constantly throws individual players under the bus,  cannot organise a defensive unit, has contracted in 3 buddies "has beens" in King, Simpson and James, and continues to conduct press interviews by criticising, rather than ever offering solutions?  What does this manager offer to Bristol City FC?   It was yet another horrendous mistake by a brilliant businessman, yet an appalling judge of football, to offer this "Past his Sell by Date" Manager a three year contract.  God knows how many season ticket holders will decide NOT to renew...............and all we ever hear is "We are where we are"

We are a mess and an embarassment of a club at present, and do not deserve the loyal support of a fantastic fanbase.   We are a sad shadow of the team than i began watching many years ago, and I am seriously fed up.  Pretty sure i am not the only one?  ??   PS. Excellent report & analysis, as always Ole......thankyou.

Edited by maxjak
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

We're even the joint worst team from winning positions, ergo, he does not know how to see out games.

Is that gross or net? ie are you also factoring in points gained from when we have conceded the first goal, and is the same exercise being done across the board?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

No real surprises that City have become a cliché: lacklustre, mediocre, under-performing, inconsistent. HNM has not been the same player since all the publicity surrounding his remaining or departure. Undoubtedly we've suffered defensively since Nathan Baker's head injury - always available to put himself on the line and to accept other (alien) rôles in defence. Doom and gloom merchant, I realise. But personally, I can't really see us improving to become contenders next season either.

Arguably - and I know it's been said before - but if Reading and Derby hadn't had those deducted points, and if Dan Bentley hadn't been one of the best keepers in the division, I believe our situation would have looked a whole lot different. 

On the positive side, I reckon we'll respond to the Barnsley debacle by hammering The Baggies 4-0! . . . Yes, just coming doctor. I was talking to my friends and I . . . 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

It is as stated. However: lost 19 from 25 after falling behind, 4 wins, two draws.

I make the net figure 15 having had a quick check. 15 is pretty bad overall I do agree.

We're a strange side, almost as if they come out half asleep at times- Birmingham at home was so sloppy early on and gave us too much to do, same last night albeit the goals weren't quite so early.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

I make the net figure 15 having had a quick check. 15 is pretty bad overall I do agree.

The facts on every basis of measurement are appaling. This "Inherited issues"/"Young Players"/"Injuries" argument needs debunking for good this far into his reign. We have a mild Cult of Pearson issue where the belief in him is stronger than the reality of what he can currently deliver. I can only see one last roll of the dice, which is to add a new face to the coaching team (lose one). It is abundantly clear that Pearson is not hands on in any way. Those at the coal face need to be better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brady bunch said:

agree with everything Ole said, other than Semenyo 7 (more like a 4 for me).

He tried hard (he always does and is a very honest player), but he was poor on the night, slipping over a lot an often forgetting to take the ball with him. he need to improve his heading as he often jumps and completely misses the ball.

I forgive him it all though as he is a joy to watch, a lovely guy, still learning and i think still improving. physically he has everything

And I know it’s a physical game and I like seeing our players give some back, but he continuously has the urge to shove the opposition player. All that results in is the Ref blowing for a foul and we lose pocession, needlessly. 

• Like 1

Thanks @Olé not much to argue with there - a disappointing night. Not sure whether it was a night off, or an off night.

Two points I'd make - one to disagree slightly, one to add something.

Massengo: no way (for me) was he our worst - or even equal worst - player last night. There are several contenders for that accolade. Weimann: its not his fault that he's asked to play in such a ridiculous position, but that first half was one of the worst RWB performances I've seen. Martin: couldn't trap a bag of cement, and seemed detached from everything going on around him. Atkinson: made the wrong decision almost every time. James: no better than Scott or HNM in a poor midfield, without the excuse of relative inexperience.

I watched Massengo quite closely, partly because of the dreadful cameo at Blackburn, and not suggesting it was up there with Preston, but it also wasn't that bad. Yes he got muscled off the ball a couple of times, yes he misplaced a couple of passes (who didn't) but on the whole I thought he was quite neat, did actually show some strength at times, found a black shirt more often than most and played us out of trouble a couple of times. 

But - and this brings me on to me second point - there were times when he was off the ball and looked quite lost as to what he was supposed to be doing. We seemed to have no pattern last night, we were back to looking like 11 strangers again and we switched from one formation to another, to another, and none of the time looking like we understood as a team what the plan was. And that has to be down to NP and the coaching. As with many opponents this season, Barnsley players needed one touch and they knew where team mates would be, where to play it. We took one touch then had to look up, see who was where, figure out what to do (and often with very few options and no-one else looking to support) - and then just as we played it one way the other players would run the other. 

11 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Thanks @Olé not much to argue with there - a disappointing night. Not sure whether it was a night off, or an off night.

Two points I'd make - one to disagree slightly, one to add something.

Massengo: no way (for me) was he our worst - or even equal worst - player last night. There are several contenders for that accolade. Weimann: its not his fault that he's asked to play in such a ridiculous position, but that first half was one of the worst RWB performances I've seen. Martin: couldn't trap a bag of cement, and seemed detached from everything going on around him. Atkinson: made the wrong decision almost every time. James: no better than Scott or HNM in a poor midfield, without the excuse of relative inexperience.

I watched Massengo quite closely, partly because of the dreadful cameo at Blackburn, and not suggesting it was up there with Preston, but it also wasn't that bad. Yes he got muscled off the ball a couple of times, yes he misplaced a couple of passes (who didn't) but on the whole I thought he was quite neat, did actually show some strength at times, found a black shirt more often than most and played us out of trouble a couple of times. 

But - and this brings me on to me second point - there were times when he was off the ball and looked quite lost as to what he was supposed to be doing. We seemed to have no pattern last night, we were back to looking like 11 strangers again and we switched from one formation to another, to another, and none of the time looking like we understood as a team what the plan was. And that has to be down to NP and the coaching. As with many opponents this season, Barnsley players needed one touch and they knew where team mates would be, where to play it. We took one touch then had to look up, see who was where, figure out what to do (and often with very few options and no-one else looking to support) - and then just as we played it one way the other players would run the other. 

I agree, I thought Massengo worked hard last night, tried to get us to play.  He was far from being our worst player. The passing options given to him at times were awful.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Daniro said:

Got to agree with all this.

James and Massengo were very poor indeed.   I don't see the point of James at all and HNM was muscled off the ball whenever he got near it and he keeps giving the ball away.   Weimann hardly got a touch and scuffed it when he did.

Cundy and Atkinson are big question marks for me at this level.  Barnsley are not a good team and they ran us ragged whenever they felt like it.

Cundy has started just two games at this level. Both were playing Non League football only a few years ago, so may need time to adjust. Doesn’t help that the midfield offer zero protection, and we often have little in the way of full backs.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mr Chappers said:

Cundy has started just two games at this level. Both were playing Non League football only a few years ago, so may need time to adjust. Doesn’t help that the midfield offer zero protection, and we often have little in the way of full backs.

Switching between a back 3 and 4 probably doesn't help so much.

I always think 3 in CM rather than 2 is the best bet...that can help to make the centre more solid, problem is 2 v 1 in wide areas- dunno about Semenyo-Weimann-Martin up front from a structure POV it can leave us exposed in one, or if it's a back 3, both aspects of protecting the defence.

Ideally with a 4-3-3 you would have the necessary numbers centrally and higher up the pitch you would have players who properly pull wide out of possession, protecting the full back...thereby guarding against 2 v 1.

I dunno, some compromises here but...

Bentley

Tanner Kalas Atkinson DaSilva/Pring

Massengo Williams James

Scott

Weimann Semenyo

Semenyo as we know can pull wide left and Scott has experience in the RWB position- out of possession their remit would be to protect the fullbacks to an extent- and press. You'd hope that a CM 3 of Massengo, Williams and James all on the pitch at the same time could provide some useful combinations in CM in and out of possession.

Narrower you could definitively for some games have Vyner and Pring- or if he's fit again Baker- in the full back roles. Klose of course at CB, or Kalas-Baker at CB pair and Tanner on one side, Pring/DaSilva on the other.

Like I say compromises but some tweaks feel possible, if everyone is fit and match fit.

I am really trying not to be too negative, but it's difficult, and getting more so.

Just when we started to see signs of improvement , we get more injuries . Bristol Live or someone reporting there could be 9 out Saturday, from a small squad that's a killer. Just keeping everyone available this year , everything could have been so different, and this is with better medical and backroom staff. Imagine how bad it could have been !
I'm not sure what is going on, but the same mistakes made by different players across so long does post the finger at the coach. At the same time, he's hardly been able to field the same side 3 games in a row, let alone his preferred side or even his preferred formation.
I thought , apart fro JD & Bentley the rest were poor , wasteful and sloppy. Some worked hard, probably most of them TBF, but with not a lot of direction and no end product. It is worrying.
I actually thought Cundy and Atkinson showed some promise, but struggled in that wide CB/WB role. Semenyo's control over the last couple of games has been poor, I winder if he's tensing up and trying too hard. 
The team sheet Saturday really will be last man standing.