IGNORED

Old picture great player

sticks 1969

Him & Marvin Elliott are our best 2 midfielders since we got relegated from the top flight in 1980.

Hard working, great tackler, scored a decent amount of goals & a real edge to him, he didn’t like losing..

Never forgot his reaction at the end of the 1-0 win over the few (the one Donowa scored in), Holloway came over to shake his hand & he pushed him away & turned to the fans with both arms aloft, fair to say he was pumped up for that one..

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

He did score a late winner away to Brighton, but it was a midweek game and quite a pleasant evening, not raining as far as I recall.

This game? Not sure about pleasant evening?? Great way to win though.

Just now, pikeysrobins said:

https://youtu.be/pzGRLLEWEU4

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, pikeysrobins said:

It’s a great watch. “Nothing jammy about that from Chivers …”. Loved the awful commentaries from Roger Malone, back in the day!

Refreshing to see players clattered but immediately get to their feet without writhing “in agony” on the floor. 

The game may have changed but the chants of City fans haven’t!

• Like 1

Yes Roger was awful. If Roger was my dad, he’d be the embarrassing dad dancing in the disco or on the mic at a karaoke who thinks he can sing and dance. Roger thought he could commentate but in truth he sounded like an enthusiastic but untrained dad trying to ‘impress’ his family on TV.

Just now, pikeysrobins said:

Yes Roger was awful. If Roger was my dad, he’d be the embarrassing dad dancing in the disco or on the mic at a karaoke who thinks he can sing and dance. Roger thought he could commentate but in truth he sounded like an enthusiastic but untrained dad trying to ‘impress’ his family on TV.

Nice bloke though. 

3 hours ago, pikeysrobins said:

Yep, that certainly appears to be the game to which I was referring.

Midweek evening game, late Gary Shelton winner, but, as would seem evident from the clip, not the typically bright Spring evening that I recall.

It is strange, though, as I remember driving there after work, parking close to the ground and, I was convinced, strolling to the ground in early evening sunshine, stopping for a pint on the way.  

I was sitting in one of the stands, so perhaps it started raining during the game?

I remember a home game when I was stood right at the front of the old Enclosure - Shelts came flying into a tackle right in front of me - he cleaned out the opponent who started whinging at him immediately - Shelts just squared up to him snarled “**** off, you’re at Ashton Gate now” - the other guy wilted like a piece of spinach.

I loved Shelts, still do, had a good chat with him one Sunday lunchtime in the “Dirty Duck” on Stoke Lane - he only had good things to say about our club, and he knew how to smash back a Guinness ...

6 hours ago, pikeysrobins said:

I went to that game, had a new tyre fitted on my van in the morning, had a puncture in the new tyre on the way and couldn't undo the wheel nuts as they were too tight, had to get the AA out, good night tho !!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

We still had a chance of going up that night.

You can clearly see by the surface it rained.

Yep, it pissed down and we were on the open side. We`d been in Brighton all day as CATS used to run an early coach for people who wanted to do that (did it for Blackpool one year too). One thing I do recall is getting back on the coach and they put on the local (BBC Sussex?) commentary of the goal:

`And the ball comes to Shelton and he scores to make it 1-0. There is pandemonium to my left!`

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Best midfielder to play for City since Gow; and we have had nobody close since (including Marvin Elliot).*

He was brought in as a swap deal for Steve "falls over more than Jack Grealish" McLaren.

Superb player who gave his all in every game. I cannot remember a single game where he played poorly.

(*Not forgetting Tins of course, but he was a different type of player, and spent most of his time with us in L1).

• Like 1