IGNORED

Huge Crowds

sglosbcfc

If you wrongly assumed that the only club in the lower leagues capable of attracting huge crowds was everyone's second favourite team Bristol Rovers, then think again. Fair play to Notts County, nearly 10500 at their derby v Chesterfield yesterday and around 8500 at Wrexham for the game v Dover. There cannot be another country in the world who would see those crowds at fifth tier level.

• Like 12

Wrexham are a bit like Plymouth in that they have little competition for a fanbase in quite a large area. Chester were their nearest rivals but are in the bottom half of NL North, and the nearest league rivals are Crewe and Shrewsbury.

With a little success they could be bringing in support from Mid to North Wales.

The Hollywood investors might have been wiser than many gave them credit for

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

If you wrongly assumed that the only club in the lower leagues capable of attracting huge crowds was everyone's second favourite team Bristol Rovers, then think again. Fair play to Notts County, nearly 10500 at their derby v Chesterfield yesterday and around 8500 at Wrexham for the game v Dover. There cannot be another country in the world who would see those crowds at fifth tier level.

I can't remember what tier they were in, I'd say maybe 4th, but 1860 Munich were getting 12,000 on average when they were very low down the leagues. I think Germany can rival the UK for attendances.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

I can't remember what tier they were in, I'd say maybe 4th, but 1860 Munich were getting 12,000 on average when they were very low down the leagues. I think Germany can rival the UK for attendances.

Well it was for 1 season in the 4th tier and in the same league over the last 6 years, 4 times the highest supported team has had an average below 2000 spectators per game and the whole league has been less than 900. Every single league 2 club has averages over 2000 this season.

I don't think Germany can rival the UK for attendances.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

The 8500at Wrexham certainly got their money's worth!

• Like 2

Wrexham are currently limited capacity due to the old Kop end being derelict and unused. They have recently submitted plans for a 5k seat Stand on that end with conference centre to tie in with the councils project of regeneration of the station. In a few years capacity could be 14-15k, something the it’s what we do rabble from South Gloucestershire can only dream of.

• Like 1

I'd be interested to know what the away figures were. I imagine pretty good for Notts County/Chesterfield but not so for Wrexham/Dover. Away fans can make a real difference here but not so elsewhere, although they can travel in reasonable numbers in Germany, Italy and Poland for the big rivalries. 

1 hour ago, Coxy27 said:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/3-liga/besucherzahlen/wettbewerb/L3/saison_id/2021

German third tier (League One) attendance. I don't think they match the UK at all

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Isn`t it? If someone asked me where Kaiserslautern for instance were in their league I`d have said the top division!

I have just realised that some of them are the 2nd teams of more established sides. :facepalm: 

It raises another question though,  is there a limit on how far up the leagues those 2nd teams can go?

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I have just realised that some of them are the 2nd teams of more established sides. :facepalm: 

It raises another question though,  is there a limit on how far up the leagues those 2nd teams can go?

I think it`s normally that they can`t go to the top division - it is that in Spain I believe. IIRC Barca B won the second division a few years back but weren`t allowed to be promoted. No idea what would happen in the, albeit unlikely, situation of Barca being relegated though!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Wikipedia: "In Germany, the 3. Liga is also the highest division that a club's reserve team can play in."

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I think it`s normally that they can`t go to the top division - it is that in Spain I believe. IIRC Barca B won the second division a few years back but weren`t allowed to be promoted. No idea what would happen in the, albeit unlikely, situation of Barca being relegated though!

It's happened to a few clubs, if relegated to the same league the B team is demoted to the division below. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I'd be interested to know what the away figures were. I imagine pretty good for Notts County/Chesterfield but not so for Wrexham/Dover. Away fans can make a real difference here but not so elsewhere, although they can travel in reasonable numbers in Germany, Italy and Poland for the big rivalries. 

I went to watch Hertha v Schalke in Feb 2020 on a Friday night and Schalke brought around 5-6k. for a 4 hr journey. It was impressive when they let the smoke off. CA057DCC-E85A-4311-89A2-CD8850545EAD.thumb.jpeg.dc0bf5c955578754e2a2ea7d03ffa46a.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Wealwayseatcheese said:

Shaun , it was taken as Hertha fans had just began to sing their anthem Nur Nach Hause just before KO. Schalke dropped the banner , up went the scarves and off they went. 

It's really impressive and must have been a privilege to be in the stadium.

i also remember when Liverpool played Dortmund away. Total respect all round

Edited by Shaun Taylor

38 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

It's really impressive and must have been a privilege to be in the stadium.

i also remember when Liverpool played Dortmund away. Total respect all round

The Bundesliga matchday experience is a world apart from this country. You are treated like a fan not a cash machine. Looking forward to going back next season with hopefully a delve into Poland aswell

3 minutes ago, Wealwayseatcheese said:

The Bundesliga matchday experience is a world apart from this country. You are treated like a fan not a cash machine. Looking forward to going back next season with hopefully a delve into Poland aswell

That's a very good point about being treated as a fan and not a cash machine and would love to experience a top German match one day.

6 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

That's a very good point about being treated as a fan and not a cash machine and would love to experience a top German match one day.

Shaun, 4 nights hotel, return flights from Bristol and match ticket was £175 and match ticket gives you free train and tube travel so many hours before and after match.  All booked separately by us. It was on my bucket list . I would recommend getting out there if you can , it’s well worth it. 

Edited by Wealwayseatcheese
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wealwayseatcheese said:

Shaun, 4 nights hotel, return flights from Bristol and match ticket was £175 and match ticket gives you free train and tube travel so many hours before and after match.  All booked separately by us. It was on my bucket list . I would recommend getting out there if you can , it’s well worth it. 

Wow that's impressive. Did it take you long to book it all up separately and how did you get the match tickets?  

3 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Wow that's impressive. Did it take you long to book it all up separately and how did you get the match tickets?  

Hi Shaun , 

booked hotel quickly on booking .com then Let flights stew for a week or 2 to see how much they fluctuated and they didn’t drop so nailed them on easyJet website.

most German clubs will have translated English version of their websites so it’s easy to book tickets .We picked Hertha as they only sell out against Bayern, Dortmund, and ? Berlin so tickets are easy to get. Once purchased they are sent straight to your email as print at home. Voilà.