IGNORED

Troy Deeney

Port Said Red

I suppose there is an argument for putting this in the politics forum, but I though it might lose some audience there.

spacer1.gif
Change.org
spacer1.gif
spacer1.gif

spacer1.gif

cd9203cc-9e62-42d7-9b2a-9a51550927cc.jpeg
spacer1.gif

— 18 months ago, during the wave of protests following the killing of George Floyd, I took the knee alongside my fellow Premier League football players. Anti-racism demonstrators flooded the streets of the UK, social media stood in solidarity, slaver statues and colonial relics were torn down and hundreds of thousands of people from all backgrounds demanded institutions tackle systemic inequalities in our society to combat racism.

We are nearly two years on from the death of George Floyd and the tidal wave of outrage that followed. An eerie quiet seems to have descended, the issues raised have receded from the news agenda and if we are to believe the conclusions of the Sewell Report, the UK does not have a systemic problem with racism at all.

Yet in that time both myself and my family have continued to experience vile racist abuse. I want to use my platform to campaign for change and not to let this movement and its momentum just fade away - that’s why I’m calling for Black, Asian and minority ethnic histories and experiences to be put on the national curriculum

spacer1.gif
Sign now with a click
spacer1.gif

I am a proud father of four children. I have seen more and more how important it is for my children to be able to see themselves represented in what they are being taught and learn about the contribution and background of people who look like them.

As a mixed race man from a black Jamaican father and a white mother with Irish heritage, I grew up having an uncertain relationship with my own identity. Whilst at school I felt detached, neither white enough for the white kids or black enough for the black kids. I was even told by one teacher that I’d be dead by the time I was 25. It was only in my 20’s that I learnt more about my heritage, what it means to be a black man and the potential impact an earlier understanding of this might’ve had on me.

spacer1.gif
Sign now with a click
spacer1.gif

I want to reignite this conversation and put it back on the agenda.

My mum always says to me, you can’t understand where you’re going if you don’t understand where you’ve come from. We need to lay a pathway for longer lasting change for our kids as I believe the current system is failing children from ethnic minorities.

Please sign this petition to ask the Secretary of State for Education to make the teaching of Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic histories and experiences mandatory throughout the school curriculum.

spacer1.gif
Sign now with a click
spacer1.gif

Yours Sincerely,

Troy Deeney

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

tin hat on

bit rich i think coming from a violent man and former football thug,but lets feel sorry for him because he's neither  black or white and once again join the anti racist bandwagon.i would say the teacher that told him he would be dead in his 20,s was thinking about all the trouble he got into nothing to do with being black,brown tan or white but once again lets twist it into a racist remark.

Troy Deeney and Brennan were more serious than the other defendants.

In the 30-second video clip, the pair could be seen kicking out at the "defenceless" students, one of whom received repeated blows to the head as he lay injured on the ground.

i know this wont go down well but facts are facts.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2
  • Hmmm 1

21 hours ago, big dosser said:

tin hat on

bit rich i think coming from a violent man and former football thug,but lets feel sorry for him because he's neither  black or white and once again join the anti racist bandwagon.i would say the teacher that told him he would be dead in his 20,s was thinking about all the trouble he got into nothing to do with being black,brown tan or white but once again lets twist it into a racist remark.

Troy Deeney and Brennan were more serious than the other defendants.

In the 30-second video clip, the pair could be seen kicking out at the "defenceless" students, one of whom received repeated blows to the head as he lay injured on the ground.

i know this wont go down well but facts are facts.

You’ve completely missed the point of his letter, and come across as an idiot in the process. Your username is apt. Congratulations on that. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, big dosser said:

hi would you like to let me know what point i have missed sir

He’s not asking for sympathy because of his mixed heritage. He is asking for a broader BAME representation in the curriculum so that children have a greater understanding of their identities. 

How is this petition for positive social change in any way linked to mistakes he’s made (and acknowledged) in the past? 

I fail to understand why you have been affronted by such a sensible request. Why is this? 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Wiltsred14 said:

He’s not asking for sympathy because of his mixed heritage. He is asking for a broader BAME representation in the curriculum so that children have a greater understanding of their identities. 

How is this petition for positive social change in any way linked to mistakes he’s made (and acknowledged) in the past? 

I fail to understand why you have been affronted by such a sensible request. Why is this? 

i am going to take on board what you have said and also listen to dave l links he sent,maybe i missed something or read it wrong

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, When the river runs said:

Joey Barton's hated for his criminal ways but it's all forgotten with Troy's. 

Booting a defenseless student in the head . I think he should leave the politics to someone else as hes no role model.

thats how i wanted to put it there always seems to be a rule for one and a rule for another,thanks river run

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, When the river runs said:

Booting a defenseless student in the head . I think he should leave the politics to someone else as hes no role model.

John McVicar was a convicted violent criminal who became a respected writer and studied for a degree. People can develop.

The difference between Deeney, or Bradley Orr for example and Barton is the apparent lack of remorse and continued bad behaviour of the latter.

• Like 3

Personally I'm a fan of history and encourage all forms of it.

Playing devils advocate here, how many people know much more than their grandparents, 1066 and the Great Fire of London? Is the "you don't know where you're going until you know where you've come from" over played? Don't many people of all backgrounds go through life with very little knowledge of their own or their families past? Is the past really the place to look to solve the issues Troy has raised?

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

John McVicar was a convicted violent criminal who became a respected writer and studied for a degree. People can develop.

The difference between Deeney, or Bradley Orr for example and Barton is the apparent lack of remorse and continued bad behaviour of the latter.

Good film, good soundtrack 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, When the river runs said:

Deeney did something terrible, did his time and has clearly grown as a person since then.

Barton on the other hand has got himself in trouble time and time again and was recently back in court for assaulting another manager the two aren’t really comparable 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, When the river runs said:

I understand where you're coming from, but I'd argue this isn't political more addressing obvious injustice. There needs to be a wider range of viewpoints taught in schools that's a fact not a political opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, When the river runs said:

Remorse is the difference, Joey’s a repeat offender. Deeney appears to have left that life behind him.

On 02/04/2022 at 09:58, When the river runs said:

If Joey Barton spoke out against racism he would still be correct, despite his past.

Racism isn't situational, it is always bad and speaking out against it is always correct, no matter the source.

Deeney deserves criticism for what he has done, and it is maybe glossed over, but it doesn't negate the point he is making.

Of course no one's talking about racism or slavery - all the players are just about to go to a world cup that's built on it!

It would look slightly duplicitous to stand against racism and then go and earn hundreds of thousands for a few weeks work on the back of racism and slavery.