IGNORED

How Should We Approach Next Season?

Port Said Red

Perhaps the most unusual season in European history will see the top divisions closing down for a long period for the World Cup.

In England the Premiership will close from the 11th November and restart on Boxing Day.

The Championship will also close on the 11th but restart on Dec 10th after the group games have finished, individual clubs will be able to postpone games though if they can show their squad is sufficiently weakened.

So as per the title, how would you approach the season? Regarding training will it be a normal pre season followed perhaps a mini pre season in December?

In games we could potentially play a heavy pressing game, knowing that we will have a mid season break for recovery and to go again in the "second half" of the season.

Ironically, it might be perfectly structured for LJ's "busy bees" team, but might also suit NP's hard working aggressive style.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 1

It’s a very valid question that deserves more than some of the responses so far.

Its often quoted that England don’t do as well as they could at tournaments due to the strain of our season. With Qatar mid season then that strain hits club teams in the second half and not the National sides.

We should be ok. Based on current squad it’s only (potentially) Semenyo going to the tournament, so there’s opportunity to go hard in the first half of the season, then rest up, then go hard in the second half. The uniqueness of the season means that “lesser” squads with few internationals will have an opportunity as the “better” squads tire

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Try to do better with less.

Continue to cut costs, wages in particular.  Amortisation cost cutting is taking care of itself thanks to Pearson and a bit of Holden.

Continue to develop the youngsters…and keep the links close between u23s and first team.

Continue to build the togetherness of the squad.

Something like that anyway! ?

• Like 4

I would expect a normal pre season (training conditioning wise). 

The break for the World Cup should be easy enough to manage. There is normally a two week International break around November time anyway and the second two weeks will be a bit more conditioning with a couple of friendlies against either Prem clubs U23 sides or other Championships clubs.

Won't make any difference to us though as we always lose the first match after an International break so don't expect miracles.

• Like 2

The aim mid term must be to be a competitive championship team with a wages budget which is less than 80% of turnover.  To achieve that we will need to move on the top earners and replace them with home players and OOC signings who won’t demand the type of wages that we currently pay Kalas, Bentley Dasilva etc.

That ambition is no small feat.  Hopefully, next season will be another season similar to this one, where we reduce the wage bill but achieve safety without out any major worries.

• Like 3

I'm strangely content about next season already.

GK: Bentley, O'Leary

CB: Atkinson, Klose, Cundy, Kalas, Vyner

WB: Dasilva, Pring, Tanner, Scott

MF: Williams, James, Massengo, Benarous

F: Martin, Wiemann, Semmenyo, Wells

Plus the other u23s not listed above.

May not set the world alight but if Pearson can get things moving should be interesting.

Baker will never play again - no manager would be stupid enough to let him get a third potentially life changing/fatal head injury.

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Mr Sno said:

Firstly I think we should consider selling Massengo and Semenyo, if we could get 15-20 combined that will ease our financial problems hugely.

If that is million then I think you are being wildly optimistic. Out of interest what benchmark are you using to come to those amounts ?

• Like 1

My guess would be standard pre-season with maintenance and additional shape work over the break. Nothing too revolutionary as rest is probably more beneficial than any minimal gains that could be made in a few weeks of physical exertion.

Maybe a couple of friendlies in the break for fringe players to shine.

Edited by SydneyCity

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Keep on 'blaming the mess LJ and Ashton left us in' even though Lee left 2 years and 3 seasons ago?

Alternatively, BCFC must ensure that any incomings are players who will be relevant to any new manager who replaces Nigel in the event that his record at this club continues.

With another man in charge in between, who it seems history has forgotten. COYR 

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

It’s a very valid question that deserves more than some of the responses so far.

Its often quoted that England don’t do as well as they could at tournaments due to the strain of our season. With Qatar mid season then that strain hits club teams in the second half and not the National sides.

We should be ok. Based on current squad it’s only (potentially) Semenyo going to the tournament, so there’s opportunity to go hard in the first half of the season, then rest up, then go hard in the second half. The uniqueness of the season means that “lesser” squads with few internationals will have an opportunity as the “better” squads tire

2 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

I would expect a normal pre season (training conditioning wise). 

The break for the World Cup should be easy enough to manage. There is normally a two week International break around November time anyway and the second two weeks will be a bit more conditioning with a couple of friendlies against either Prem clubs U23 sides or other Championships clubs.

Won't make any difference to us though as we always lose the first match after an International break so don't expect miracles.

31 minutes ago, SydneyCity said:

My guess would be standard pre-season with maintenance and additional shape work over the break. Nothing too revolutionary as rest is probably more beneficial than any minimal gains that could be made in a few weeks of physical exertion.

Maybe a couple of friendlies in the break for fringe players to shine.

Thanks guys, at least you look like you read my original post. :)

1 hour ago, Hxj said:

I'm strangely content about next season already.

GK: Bentley, O'Leary

CB: Atkinson, Klose, Cundy, Kalas, Vyner

WB: Dasilva, Pring, Tanner, Scott

MF: Williams, James, Massengo, Benarous

F: Martin, Wiemann, Semmenyo, Wells

Plus the other u23s not listed above.

May not set the world alight but if Pearson can get things moving should be interesting.

Baker will never play again - no manager would be stupid enough to let him get a third potentially life changing/fatal head injury.

That team has produced some god awful football this season 

Edited by Sturny

10 minutes ago, Sturny said:

That team has produced some god awful football this season 

It has - but it has also produced some brilliant moments.

It also collapsed too many times in the last ten minutes.  

Bear in mind that I have been going to matches for almost 50 years, so I have seen some real 'god awful' football.

• Like 4