IGNORED

How Should We Approach Next Season?

Port Said Red

2 hours ago, billywedlock said:

LJ signed in the main rubbish. 4 players signed for close to 20 m , all on over 20k a week , and unsaleable, and 4 players who will never be Prem players  , 39m loss confirmed it .

Usually agree with your posts and while I agree with most of this one "in the main rubbish", dunno about that? Think there is an argument that other coaches might have got more out of some of them, his man management of Magnússon and Moore for differing reasons didn't seem the best. Didn't use Henriksen in his optimum, Benkovic the same to name just 4.

Let us not forget too that a reasonable ratio of the players he signed had medium to long term injuries. That's bad luck! Reduces their chances of showing what they can do properly. Mind you can say the same about a range of NP's signings, plus Mawson last year, more bad luck.

Who are the 4 players also? Palmer and Wells are obviously two but the other 2 I'm unsure on.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Yep, it's all about opinions.

I just struggle with the one that is:

Lee Johnson= everything bad

Nigel Pearson= everything good

I like the one's in between where LJ did some good and NP has done some bad and vice versa.

I do too….as I say, it’s rarely black and white.

Having said that, the carefree spending over a period of 3/4/5 years is a big reason we are where we are now.  Who you want to attribute that to (or combination of people) and how much is more difficult.

There is lots of talk about Pearson not coaching what he has or likes to delegate, but I would say what we have seen is that he will adapt….he’s on the training ground quite a lot by the looks of it, he’s happy to try the younger players, when perhaps in previous years the problem was solved by getting a new player in.  That was the frustrating things for me as someone who’s watched the finances closely over a number of years and saw trouble brewing.

I wanted Lee to call-out Ashton.  Looks like at Sunderland the Defoe signing was against his wishes and perhaps he learned from his time here, even if it cost him his job.  His next job will be interesting.  I therefore think it was more the combo of LJ and MA and the period of time that created the negative side of things.

Nige has frustrated me too, but I do put a lot of stock on the job he’s done on remedying the finances.  For me that was priority one whilst keeping us in this division.  I’m happy to sacrifice some of our form being a bit crap this season….probably next season too.

But what I’m really interested in though is this summer.  Want to really see creative recruitment lead to a solid team next season.

We will start to move beyond “LJ’s time” over the next 12 months.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Individually some of the players were good , maybe on paper too . But it was not a squad signed to a clearly defined plan or strategy . So when combined , for me they were in the main rubbish and less than the sum of the parts . Square pegs and round holes . No idea where certain players were expected to play . Players who had little character , resilience, team ethic .  So yes in isolation some of the players  were ok/good/great  but as a team and squad  for me mainly rubbish . 

Of the 4 you name , suggesting another coach could have got more . Where are those 4 now ? 

I contrast with both GJ and SC teams and for me the collective result was greater than the individuals. 

the other 2 ? Kalas and DaSilva . 

Totally agree with this, but helped by having an idea how they wanted to set up and play. LJ never seemed certain of which way he wanted to go. 

One thing I will say in defence of Johnson , and I'm no way a fan of his tenure , he did what (nearly) every manager does. They always want the next player, another player, the next piece in the jigsaw. What you need is knowledge, strength, understanding and direction from above. Steve Lansdown was way too loyal and giving when it came to funds for LJ, what he needed was that experienced football man as a link to the manager to syphon or filter out the deals that weren't viable or necessary. What we had is Del Boy without the class. He loved a deal so much I doubt anyone ever said no to a signing.  

As for next season, I'd love Kelly & Webster to move for massively over the top fees, and nice and early in the window.  Then see where we go from there  

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

On 17/04/2022 at 22:48, billywedlock said:

Individually some of the players were good , maybe on paper too . But it was not a squad signed to a clearly defined plan or strategy . So when combined , for me they were in the main rubbish and less than the sum of the parts . Square pegs and round holes . No idea where certain players were expected to play . Players who had little character , resilience, team ethic .  So yes in isolation some of the players  were ok/good/great  but as a team and squad  for me mainly rubbish . 

Of the 4 you name , suggesting another coach could have got more . Where are those 4 now ? 

I contrast with both GJ and SC teams and for me the collective result was greater than the individuals. 

the other 2 ? Kalas and DaSilva . 

Thanks for the fair response. Agree with chunks. Yes agree, a gap between individuals and what was at times produced as a unit. Felt towards the latter LJ era we were less than the sum of our parts.

Mixed bag with the 4 I listed, they were 4 players picked at random, which was one of the issues with the LJ era, so many signings in so little time relative to churn!

Benkovic, think he showed more of what he could do under Holden. Bad career move I think to go to Cardiff, Cardiff and Harris in terms of playing out from the back, not a great move. Think he's at Udinese now? He has had injuries too.

Moore, Hearts granted. Unsure loaning him out mid season was great man management in January 2020.

Magnússon, CSKA. Played in Europe periodically, although unsure hammering him for Preston away April 2017 reat man management albeit he was very useful for a time during the golden period of 2017/18. Tactically as part of a unit especially.

Moore and Magnússon, both at that time relatively young, two examples of questionable man management.

Henriksen. Pass tbh although I believe that he was best suited to a genuine CM 3. One of many options in the LJ era who he/we signed but then proceeded to utilise differently.

You think Kalas and DaSilva a great waste? Dunno about that at all. I could see Kalas if fully fit as lower PL in the right team, DaSilva is 23-24, age is on his side. He clearly has decent technical ability and has worked his way back so wouldn't say never.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1