IGNORED

Does Anybody Remember Tony Harling ?

Uncle Ern

A well known loon who used to come from Hemel Hempstead to watch City at every game home and away,particularly when we were in the old 4th division.

He used to wear a City top stretched over a suit and tie, and sit alone in the stand whilst trying to start one man chants.

What ever happened to him ????

:D

There was a thread on here a month or two back about the said Tony Harling. His chants were quite amusing. One I remember, was when we had a free kick around the box he would sing "In the Net, (clap clap clap) in the net" etc,etc.

I suppose you had to be there. :D

he was a supporter who probably packed it in because those around him called him a looney for trying to start songs all by himself - very brave I would say and he had one hell of a voice that boomed all around the ground - would put most of the current "singers" to shame.

Tony Harling was an Arsenal fan who saw the light the day the Cheese stunned the highbury faithful and upstaged Malcolm Mac donald on his arsenal debut......Came here for years afterward although I have'nt noticed him for quite sometime he would mainly sit in the Grandstand (hey I'm a traditionalist) toward the East End nice guy slightly eccentric but you've got to be to support the City.....

Just remembered that a video of a game I bought from the City shop (probably a game against gas) must have had the sound boom pointed in Tony's direction. Large parts of the match had some interesting and at times inane Harling chanting.

He was amusing but a seat at an away game next to him was not a position to cherish!! :Costumed19:

We have told this story on yer before, but every time we hear the name of

Tony Harling we think of it.........

We went up to Chelsea to watch the city in the old first division in the 70s.

We landed up in a bar near Stamford Bridge which was full of Chelsea Boot

boys! We thought oh well, nice pint in yer, so we`ll keep our mouths shut cos we wernt wearin` any colours, an enjoy our drink before the match!

About 2 o`clock who was to come through the ruddy door was Tony Harling!

He was wearin` red an white from his Hat to his shoes! You could have yerd a pin drop in that boozer! We held our heads under our coats, cos he knew us!

But our luck was out, he spotted us and called out to us! He started to come

towards us, not carin` about ole they evil lookin` Chelsea fans who were

lookin for some Bristol Blood! Not bein` cowards, we thought S#d this! an we

slipped out the back an ran like hell down the Kings Road with ole Tony Harling

in pursult an a Blue Army behind he! :D True story!

Another time he was sat in the stand at Millwall, they were chuckin` bottles an stones at him as he just sat thur chantin` City, City, City! every seat was empty around him but he carried on clappin an chantin`!

We aint seen or heard of him for yers now! He was a nice bloke but he was

also a right nutter! Great city fan though for someone who came from

Hertfordshire......Maybe they Chelsea Boot Boys caught up with him in the end! :me?:

Remember him coming in the East End once, tried teaching him a few of the longer songs but he couldn't get his head round anything more than a one word chant.

Quite amusing watching the old bill watching him, they didn't know what the hell to do! Made more noise than the dolman does now though. :D

Tony Harling was an Arsenal fan who saw the light the day the Cheese stunned the highbury faithful and upstaged Malcolm Mac donald on his arsenal debut......

Really??? Now that I did not know.

I remember Tony well from when I was a kid in the enclosure and he used to sit behind us at the front of the grandstand. I also had the, ahem, 'privilege' of sitting next to him at the Hawthorns for a boxing day match in the snow which we lost. He pretty much drowned out the rest of the crowd on his own that day.

Guest city slicker 71

1973/4 v Palace at Selhurst Park; Mal Allison appeared with a cigar and a fedora hat but the seated ones were more interested in the aforementioned further along.

Good luck to you Tony Harling, an old friend mentioned your name it took a bit of time to click but there could be no other. All the very best wherever you are.

Regards, :D

Another one I remember well is

My old man said be a rovers fan,

I said don't be silly, your a fool.

The politically correct version.

He was also a regular writer to the E Post letter columns (no Green Un around in the early eighties).

Also what happened to the lone bugler (normally in the dolman)? He was around as recently as the promotion season of 97/98.

He was amusing but a seat at an away game next to him was not a position to cherish!! :Costumed19:
Having said that though. The bloke who sat next to him apparently nominated for a "number one fan" competition! :clap:

I think he must have left his hearing aids at home :Costumed19: :Costumed19: :Costumed19: :Laugh4:

Also what happened to the lone bugler (normally in the dolman)? He was around as recently as the promotion season of 97/98.

I remember the lone bugler. He did 'Last Post' when we won 4-0, I think it was against Grimsby or Notts County, as all the away fans were leaving. Absolutely hilarious.

As it was before the band, I assumed he joined them.

Archived