IGNORED

Cider

DOLMANDAN

Who else agrees that the new flavour Blackthorn is s**t more like Strongbow rubbish to me .I personally think that they have made a mistake in trying to match Magners and grab the London and Northern markets.

Blackthorn belongs to us in the West and no-one else.Even the blue few have it on their shirts now .For christ sake give us back OUR cider :disapointed2se::disapointed2se::disapointed2se:

Who else agrees that the new flavour Blackthorn is s**t more like Strongbow rubbish to me .I personally think that they have made a mistake in trying to match Magners and grab the London and Northern markets.

Blackthorn belongs to us in the West and no-one else.Even the blue few have it on their shirts now .For christ sake give us back OUR cider :disapointed2se::disapointed2se::disapointed2se:

I always prefered Strongbow so i am happy :whistle2:

Agree with you 100%

I cant get a pint of thorn for love nor money where i live and i always look forward to match days and a nice few thorns in bar BS3. To my dismay the new stuff was all they had on saturday so it was cans of natch all round.

I don't see why they cant still sell the original blackthorn and call it "blackthorn export" or similar, particularly in the west country - not happy!

Agree with you 100%

I cant get a pint of thorn for love nor money where i live and i always look forward to match days and a nice few thorns in bar BS3. To my dismay the new stuff was all they had on saturday so it was cans of natch all round.

I don't see why they cant still sell the original blackthorn and call it "blackthorn export" or similar, particularly in the west country - not happy!

Tell me about it! I dared bring up the subject at the bar on Saturday and got short shrift from the bar staff. Luckily, there was an extra delivery of Natch to make up for it.

For those of us that can't get Natch where we live - this is BAD news. So, I took it upon myself to stock up with a crate which I lumbered all the way back home to Essex after the match. :dancing6:

Couldnt agree with you more!!! I cant believe what they have done with the new thorn! its horrible and way too much like wrongbow!!!

Emailed blackthorn expressing my disgust and they simply replied saying "sorry your not happy, but the majority of people are" - but i havent met anyone yet that prefers it to the old thorn!

I don't know why they didnt just make it as an additional drink!

Blackthorn has always been shite as far as I'm concerned. Thatchers is the way forward. Ashton Press or Stowford as a reserve if you want something with bubbles in.

Agree with the Thatchers comment. Thatchers Gold is my drink of choice when in Essex (its the only half decent cider available)

...although......

:aok2: I hear that Natch is now availabile at Bargain Booze nationwide, on an order-in basis.

Already noticed the change on the pumps with Stonehouse Inches reappearing and taking the place of Blackthorn.

Its going to be ever tougher for the tied pubs as they will have to still try and sell the new weaker, sweeter poncified Blackthorn. Hopefully nobody will buy out Thatchers as they will take over the niche now left in the West Country market.

We still have the real one in the Miners, But Gerry has said only for a few more weeks, and when it's gone it's gone for ever as he wont stock the new muck, He had Sky and a few papers in the other day asking about the new one also ITV did a taste the diff with a few of us locals. And just to let you know we all gave the new one a big NO NO. If you want real Zider people go for a drive out to Chew Lake and go to Perry House Farm, for real zider and Perry

Thats it!

I'm off to complain!

Finding blackthorn in a super market round here is difficult enough, absolutely no chance of black rat or natch making an appearance!

Waitrose and Sainsburys do sell bottles of green goblin though, but its quite pricey though!

:disapointed2se:

As Essex Robin says, why not order Natch from Bargain Booze, there's one in Maidenhead - 71 St Marks Road. 01628 639788. £16.29 for a case, I've just ordered three from my nearest branch, Watford.

Nice one, cheers mate :thumbsup:

Much as I liked the old Blackthorn I couldn't drink it as it always gave me bad guts. Not in the pebble dashing the pan type of way but in terms of acid. It would give me reflux something terrible. Other ciders don't have the same effect so I would drink Stowford Press or something similar.

I've yet to try the new Blackthorn but I'll give it ago - hopefuly it won't have the same effect as the old one.

I have spent the last several year sampling various offerings and have come to the following conclusions:

London Pride - if you are East of Reading and Stongbow is your only Apple offering

Thatchers Gold - if you want fresh, crisp and suitably satisfying cider around south Bristol

Westons Organic - all the best super markets

Thatchers Katy - if you want you mates from north of Cheltenham to sample 'real' cider

Ashton Press - at the best pub in the BS area - Woolpack in St Georges, WSM

For all else, get your lazy arses over to Churchill to gather the King of Cider, Thatchers.

Archived