IGNORED

Who Honestly Cares?!?!?!?!

Guest Cider Army

I couldnt care LESS if City get knocked out of all the cups this year. As long as we win promotion. :city:

IMO getting out of this shite league is the priority but it would be brilliant to get to the Mill Stad again and take up 40,000 + fans. Also, you cant beat the FA Cup third round draw (and us getting away to Gillingham or summut :grr: )

I couldnt care LESS if City get knocked out of all the cups this year. As long as we win promotion. :city:

I'm with you on that one!! Don't mind a bit of a run in the F.A Cup but that Johnstone paint trophy is a pain in the arse.

Spot on. Still at least we wont have to pay any attention to it next season and hopefully we wont pick up any injuries tomorrow.

Thats what i like positive thinking. WE ARE GOING UP :clapping:

"I couldnt care LESS if City get knocked out of all the cups this year. As long as we win promotion."

To be honest - I couldn't care LESS if City don't win promotion as long as we win all the cups this year. That would be a first!

Apart from being totally rediculous that's not a bad point.

I'll be almightally surprised if we pull off League Cup honours mind you.

The FA Cup in particular can be a money spinner so a run in that is not to be sniffed at.Plus there is the possibilty of drawing a big club in 3rd round or after.

As for the Mickey Mouse Cup - thats only financially profitable once you reach the semi's and then final.

City haven't had a good cup run for years and there is the feel good factor that comes with such a run which permiates around the club.

But the bottom line is promotion and like all fans I would forgo any kind of cup run if promotion were guaranteed.Sadly it ain't....

Yeah, that £500,000 we made from winning the LDV was a waste of time. Scrap the cup.

To be honest - yes it was a waste of time. We are still in the Third Division and approximately £3½ million in debt. So it didn't really do a fat lot of good (except contribute towards Tinnion's and probably Stewart's pay off packages!!). The real money will start to roll in if and when we finally reach a good standard of football and are competing well against the likes of Wolves, Leeds, WBA, Birmingham, Preston, Sheffield Wednesday and the like every week (and possibly Luton, Colchester, Southend, Plymouth and those types as well!).

To be honest - yes it was a waste of time. We are still in the Third Division and approximately £3½ million in debt. So it didn't really do a fat lot of good (except contribute towards Tinnion's and probably Stewart's pay off packages!!). The real money will start to roll in if and when we finally reach a good standard of football and are competing well against the likes of Wolves, Leeds, WBA, Birmingham, Preston, Sheffield Wednesday and the like every week (and possibly Luton, Colchester, Southend, Plymouth and those types as well!).

So if we reach the JPT Final then we will reduce our debt to only 3 million. 500k is a lot of money and it may mean that we play a few extra games but the money and the occasion you get from a final appearance is worth it IMHO.

Also as someone else said if we went on a cup run in either the FA Cup or the JPT then it would bring a feel good factor to Ashton Gate which could help inspire us to promotion.

I'm with you on that one!! Don't mind a bit of a run in the F.A Cup but that Johnstone paint trophy is a pain in the arse.

agreed, don't know if I would even bother going to the tin pot final, nice day out, but done it, got the t shirt, and they're hardly great matches,

So if we reach the JPT Final then we will reduce our debt to only 3 million. 500k is a lot of money and it may mean that we play a few extra games but the money and the occasion you get from a final appearance is worth it IMHO.

Also as someone else said if we went on a cup run in either the FA Cup or the JPT then it would bring a feel good factor to Ashton Gate which could help inspire us to promotion.

Very good point. I can't remember the last time we had a really good crack in a major cup competition. Ashton Gate in the late 80's (Chelski, Forest) and early 90's (Everton, Liverpool) witnessed some great cup ties. It really captures the public's imagination and ups the subsequent league attendances and atmosphere.

Yeah, that £500,000 we made from winning the LDV was a waste of time. Scrap the cup.

Point taken, albeit in it's sarcastically expressed style.

The cynically made money received on the off chance of us actually winning it is imo the only benefit from competing in such an unprestigious competition.

We'll never know what implications it had on our promotion chances, nor our chances the previous year when we fell at the semi-final stage to Cambridge and didn't make the half mill.

I just hope we don't pick up any injurys, yellow cards or suffer from general fatigue tomorrow night with an important league game looming three days later.

Two sides to every coin. Imagine getting to the latter stages of the Paint Brush Challenge or whatever it is called and losing 2 or 3 key players to injury for the rest of the season (and after the Transfer Window is closed). Could cost the club a lot more than 500 poxy grand!! What we want is third or fourth round FA Cup, big game, gallant defeat on national TV then concentrate on winning Division 3. Forget Johnstones Paints in my view.

Two sides to every coin. Imagine getting to the latter stages of the Paint Brush Challenge or whatever it is called and losing 2 or 3 key players to injury for the rest of the season (and after the Transfer Window is closed). Could cost the club a lot more than 500 poxy grand!! What we want is third or fourth round FA Cup, big game, gallant defeat on national TV then concentrate on winning Division 3. Forget Johnstones Paints in my view.

The Fa cup 4th round is the 27th Jan or something and the Area final 1st leg of the JPT is the 29th Jan. So the same could be said about injuries in the Fa Cup and the JPT.

Taking part in any cup competition is a risk but myself would prefer to win the JPT than get to the fa cup 4th round and go out to a championship side or a lower premiership side and have nothing to show for it.

At least if we win the JPT we will get a nice little trophy to have in next years team photo.

I must admit to feeling strangely withdrawn during our victory over Carlisle and empty when we paraded the crappy cup. It was a poxy match and the competition has a real 80's feel to it (Remember the Full-Members cup? - 1st and 2nd division clubs - stopped dead by the Premiership).

It was definitely not as exciting as being an 8 year-old, watching City destroy Bolton 3-0 at Wembley. Rather cruelly, my Uncle told me that we would have been playing against the likes of Real Madrid in the European Cup-Winners Cup the following season, had English Clubs not been banned from Europe.......

It was nothing like that much.

With the possibility of injuries and fixture pile-ups the JPT is nothing but an irritating hinderance to City's season.

Put out the weakest team allowed and hope for earliest exit possible.

As for the F.A. Cup, that's the big one, recognised as such around the world with the possibility of genuinely big matches and fantastic publicity for City if we can progress a few rounds.

Ahh but I bet you won't be saying that when we get Notts Forest in the final !!

Area Final you mean? :dunno:

I must admit to feeling strangely withdrawn during our victory over Carlisle and empty when we paraded the crappy cup. It was a poxy match and the competition has a real 80's feel to it (Remember the Full-Members cup? - 1st and 2nd division clubs - stopped dead by the Premiership).

It was definitely not as exciting as being an 8 year-old, watching City destroy Bolton 3-0 at Wembley. Rather cruelly, my Uncle told me that we would have been playing against the likes of Real Madrid in the European Cup-Winners Cup the following season, had English Clubs not been banned from Europe.......

You got the same feeling as me then. It is a crappy cup and i don't think i would bother with a final again unless it was at the new wembley. I would rather spend my money on a league away day and have the satisfaction of seeing us collect 3pts towards the ultimate goal. Promotion.

Anyway the competition is dated and needs a revamp. How about offering an automatic Fa cup 3rd round place the following season for the winners of the tin pot.

You got the same feeling as me then. It is a crappy cup and i don't think i would bother with a final again unless it was at the new wembley. I would rather spend my money on a league away day and have the satisfaction of seeing us collect 3pts towards the ultimate goal. Promotion.

Anyway the competition is dated and needs a revamp. How about offering an automatic Fa cup 3rd round place the following season for the winners of the tin pot.

I think a Fa Cup 3rd round place is slightly out of the question as the FA run the Fa Cup and the FL run the JPT and also the Coca Cola cup. So IMO they should give the winners a Coca Cola 3rd round place.

Of course promotion is the priority this season (as it is every year), but I'd be interested to see some stats that link success in cups for lower league clubs to league position. Does doing well in a cup REALLY put us to a disadvantage? Can anyone less lazy than myself help out here?

Getting knocked out of all 3 cup competitions at the first hurdle last season didn't seem to help us out too much did it?!

On a (slightly) different note, when was our last cup win? Is this the most games we've ever gone without a cup win??

Archived