IGNORED

Stoke And Their Weird Stadium

Will Rollason

Ok i don't get to many away games but went today. Shall draw a veil over the game as has been covered on other threads.

But their ground is just plain weird.

Two sides are a bowl, ok so far.. if you like bowls.....very nice too. :noexpression:

The away end is a sort of Atyeo but steeper and NOT connected to the bowl bit... :noexpression:

And then theres this Stand stuck miles away from the pitch ( bit like the Williams in that couldnt hear anything from it).

WTF? :tumbleweed:

Looks like they went for a bowl then changed their minds.

Bit of a windswept dump actually and was very pleased to head south again and see some tarmac and streetlighting. Ugh never again.

So basically its a shithole if you ask me :innocent06:

The idea when they built the stadium was that they left the corners open and if they ever got to the Premier League they had the opportunity then to fill them in and increase the capacity. Whats the point though if you build a new stadium, surely its easier to finish it.

Bit of a windswept dump actually and was very pleased to head south again and see some tarmac and streetlighting. Ugh never again.

Yeah, I've made a similar point elsewhere. If you read their official site they're very proud of it though, bless them.

Still, I guess if you live in a town where the rag-and-bone man is still an every-day sight, running water is a luxury and electricity is considered witchcraft, it's bound to seem special.

when was it built in the 1980s?

1997 I think, there or thereabouts. And they will have to live with it, as it's unlikely they'll admit it's sh1t, flatten it, and build something better. Cheap and nasty, like one of those B&Q megastores, only with the roof ripped off.

Whose will we model our new stadium on? Coventry's is one of the better of the new-breed that I've seen, though I'm not convinced that it's the ideal solution.

Half of it looked like the Ricoh and well the other half looked just like a mish mash. Also what a strange place to build a stadium. Surrounded by industrial units. The stadium from the outside looked alot older than 11 years old and the wear and tear was clear to be seen.

Half of it looked like the Ricoh and well the other half looked just like a mish mash. Also what a strange place to build a stadium. Surrounded by industrial units. The stadium from the outside looked alot older than 11 years old and the wear and tear was clear to be seen.

Your right there Dan, what a dump, you can understand why nobody wants to go there, talk about an eyesore what the hell were they thinking about about when they stuck that thing up, sort of reminds me of chernobyl after the blast, bits missing everywere, no wonder Pulis has to beg to get fans in there, i wondered why their average gates are rubbish, its all very clear now

Ok i don't get to many away games but went today. Shall draw a veil over the game as has been covered on other threads.

But their ground is just plain weird.

Two sides are a bowl, ok so far.. if you like bowls.....very nice too. :noexpression:

The away end is a sort of Atyeo but steeper and NOT connected to the bowl bit... :noexpression:

And then theres this Stand stuck miles away from the pitch ( bit like the Williams in that couldnt hear anything from it).

WTF? :tumbleweed:

Looks like they went for a bowl then changed their minds.

Don't worry about it Saab driver, it will be the weirdest ground in the Premier League next season so you won't have to return.

money was tight when it was built ( it was built for around half the going rate of new grounds at the time )

Unless you're spending 200m upwards you'll get the same or similar.

Ground was built by the forming of a controlling company made up of the club , developers and the council , which hampered development + maintenece untill now....there's still snag list items outstandiong from the original build.

However, stoke bought the stadium in full this season.and regardless of the division we're playing in now have a devlopment plan off the pitch, which also includes the building of the training ground..portakabins for that to be introduced in the interim that the press harp on about are those previously used by Villa during their re development and are as far removed from a portakabin as you can get.

The stadium, What you see is stage 1 of 3 stages , footings are already in place for one of the corners , ground's designed to be expanded upwards...( though highly iunlikely that will ever occur ) same design as Mboro.

Planning permission in place for a £1m underpass leading from behind the home end to the harvester,which will be completed next summer, general maintance and cleaning of the stadium will take place for the first time this summer.

True it's built were no one wanted to go ..no pubs, no chippies etc , but then the police wanted us out of the warren of terrace streets that surronded the old ground.

But for the first time since we moved we've got a chance to make it our home rather than just somewhere that we play

Don't knock it until you're sitting in your new one and your new one pleases you...the Vic was a hole , but it was our hole and we loved it...AG is a hole but I guess you love it..certainly as a visiting fan it's better than the new bowls...you'll miss the old place.

was it built on a landfill? saw a lot rubbish lying around

It's built on the site of a former coal mine ( actually two seperate mines ) that made up one of the largest mines in europe.

The 'site' is about a mile in length and even ten years later is still developing

It's an industrial city, being situated on a coal field , which made it an ideal place for the pottery and steel industry to grow up..changing industrial times ended that, and the city is having to come to terms with losing it's high paid labour intesive jobs..

however if it's green fields you want then it's literally on the city's doorstep.

The full landscaping of the whole site would probably cost more than the original cost of the ground, as the site develops it'll be concreted and paved over..the latest car show room built pinched some of Stoke car parking space,which was previously just ash , plans are in place to tarmac those areas..the car parks around the ground not those directly outside the stands

Easier to do something about it, when you own it

money was tight when it was built ( it was built for around half the going rate of new grounds at the time )

Ground was built by the forming of a controlling company made up of the club , developers and the council , which hampered development + maintenece untill now....there's still snag list items outstandiong from the original build.

However, stoke bought the stadium in full this season.and regardless of the division we're playing in now have a devlopment plan off the pitch, which also includes the building of the training ground..portakabins for that to be introduced in the interim that the press harp on about are those previously used by Villa during their re development and are as far removed from a portakabin as you can get.

The stadium, What you see is stage 1 of 3 stages , footings are already in place for one of the corners , ground's designed to be expanded upwards...( though highly iunlikely that will ever occur ) same design as Mboro.

Planning permission in place for a £1m underpass leading from behind the home end to the harvester,which will be completed next summer, general maintance and cleaning of the stadium will take place for the first time this summer.

True it's built were no one wanted to go ..no pubs, no chippies etc , but then the police wanted us out of the warren of terrace streets that surronded the old ground.

But for the first time since we moved we've got a chance to make it our home rather than just somewhere that we play

Don't knock it until you're sitting in your new one and your new one pleases you...the Vic was a hole , but it was our hole and we loved it...AG is a hole but I guess you love it..certainly as a visiting fan it's better than the new bowls...you'll miss the old place.

Hopefully bcfc will learn by your mistake of a ground when planning our new place, at least it will be only a short walk from AG so we will be able to retain all the pubs, shops cafes that are so welcoming for home and visiting fans alike, lets be fair about this, no matter what they do to your place it remains in a industrial estate, bleak, barren, and a soulless eyesore, tbh your club has been short changed, just get them out the city, don't care where, just get them out, give me AG every time

Your right there Dan, what a dump, you can understand why nobody wants to go there, talk about an eyesore what the hell were they thinking about about when they stuck that thing up, sort of reminds me of chernobyl after the blast, bits missing everywere, no wonder Pulis has to beg to get fans in there, i wondered why their average gates are rubbish, its all very clear now
I love the Chernobyl quote never been to the ground only past it,looks like the weird haunted house stuck up on the hill

As the years tick by the new generation TBH wont care ...older fans have taken a long time to warm to it, yet thery're the very ones that have stuck by the club

The main problem week in week out as a home fans is getting off the site...

sincerely best of luck with your new ground ,the kids will love it, you're hardcore less so...not sure where your new place will be , ours is 20 minutes walk away from the old place, but to the edge of the city ,the Vic was literally over the road to where the club first began ..not far but far enough to put it into a different area of the city.

Similar to Bristol, SOT has two clubs , the support of which is largely geographical based, so some areas of the city where none starters. IMHO the siting is more important than the ground itself

One final tip , if you have a questinaire answer EVERY question HONESTLY, we had a huge document..some of the questions based around funding ..ie would you contribute to the building of the stadium in the form of a bond...( all the rage at the time, forget exact wordings) this was a £350 ten year membership ( on top of your ST ) giving access to the upper tier or a bar behind the home end..

It was like asking fans do you support the club, so most answered yes..the only part of the costings that weren't meant was this bond...we ended up selling Sheron to QPR to cover the shortfall.

As I say best of luck, yes I support my club over and above any other, yes if it means a club has to fail for mine to succeed then I'd wish it every day...but also a footie fan and like to think a realistic one too..us a big club, nah, which is why I love them so much.

Best of luck

The s*it roads around the ground caused the worst traffic congestion I have experienced at any ground. The police did ###### all to help, and it ended up in a free-for-all to get up a single lane road out of Stanley Matthews Way. It was pathetic.

I won't bother commenting on the ground itself because it's been covered by all the other posters, but one word sums it up... 'soulless'.

As the years tick by the new generation TBH wont care ...older fans have taken a long time to warm to it, yet thery're the very ones that have stuck by the club

sincerely best of luck with your new ground ,the kids will love it, you're hardcore less so...not sure where your new place will be , ours is 20 minutes walk away from the old place, but to the edge of the city ,the Vic was literally over the road to where the club first began ..not far but far enough to put it into a different area of the city.

Similar to Bristol, SOT has two clubs , the support of which is largely geographical based, so some areas of the city where none starters. IMHO the siting is more important than the ground itself

One final tip , if you have a questinaire answer EVERY question HONESTLY, we had a huge document..some of the questions based around funding ..ie would you contribute to the building of the stadium in the form of a bond...( all the rage at the time, forget exact wordings) this was a £350 ten year membership ( on top of your ST ) giving access to the upper tier or a bar behind the home end..

It was like asking fans do you support the club, so most answered yes..the only part of the costings that weren't meant was this bond...we ended up selling Sheron to QPR to cover the shortfall.

As I say best of luck, yes I support my club over and above any other, yes if it means a club has to fail for mine to succeed then I'd wish it every day...but also a footie fan and like to think a realistic one too..us a big club, nah, which is why I love them so much.

Best of luck

If it had been possible would you have stayed at the Victoria?

To me the Brittania is everything i fear could happen to Bristol City. There is virtuallly nothing at the Britannia to like.

Best of luck

Honest and good poster. We have had a questionare but funding wassnt on it, it was done by the Supporters Trust and not by the club (top questionare as well, covered everything).

One question, did yours contain a question on whether people would like Safe Standing? A bit of topic I know but can you remember if so what the results were?

btw, I thought your fans were quality yesterday (I unfortunally sat centre of the Boothan) and good luck in the Premier League (if you make it).

crap ground, crap fans, crap town

The name Stoke CITY didn't gave away that it infact is not a town then? :winner_third_h4h:

Good luck in the playoffs, hope that your pygmy of a manager doesn't bottle it like he's bottled the automatic place. Oh and just one more thing, I know we brought 800 to Ashton Gate, but 1700 for a game of such magnitude with 3 games to go :noexpression:

Seems your ground was poorly designed from the start. Things like maintenance should be done from day one. Now it will cost more to do it. Why was things like underpasses not done from the start? If you fill in the corner between the away end and where the scoreboard is then that area will just get used for segregation I would imagine so there's little benefit there is there? And then if you do the corner from the Main stand to the Boothen End then that will be difficult and may look odd as the stands have differing angles it seems. The fact that it only took 40 odd weeks to build it says it all really.

When it opened it was thought by many to be a great and a dream stadium. That's not what I thought of it yesterday. It seems you built it to keep up with the Jones's (Derby) but ultimately there ground is better than yours although there ground is also shit but at least it doesn't look odd.

Our new ground is much closer to AG than the brit is from the Vic so it will still be very much in our heartland and we will be able to still use the same pubs and park in the same spots etc and it's likely we may also have a train station also at the bottom of the site.

Maybe your best bet is to pack your bags and start again and head off back to your old site and put this one down to a bad experience.

The two questions above...

Safe standing, long time ago..but no ...it wasn't on the agenda, one of the reasons for new grounds being built at the time was the change from old big grounds to all seater stadiums

Would I have stayed at the Vic...yes , but at 48 I grew up on terraces

As I couldn't stand at the new place I went from one extreme to the other and sit in the upper tier, great view no atmosphere, but did so because I didn't think stoke would stay seated..

Don't mind away standing as it's an 'us against them' mentatlity , but up and down at home games just because we crossed the half way line wasn't my idea of fun...in fairness it's not happened

Lot of the old boothen and boothen paddock mob ,split all over the place...many instead of going behind the goal chose the stand to your right ..it's not the boothen or the little mob to your left but the side stand that's potentially the most partizan part of the ground

Fans who were organised and quick off the mark ( ie not a terrace thing) bought the prime seats on ST's behind the goal..in general moderate family people are where the 'singers' should be..its why as you look at the boothen from the away end the 'singing mob' instead of being in the middle is actually in the bottom right hand corner.

Plans to stay included seats on the old large terrace, possibly with a new roof , seats in the paddocks and a new 12,000 to the boothens right , which would have been impressive, but similar to the one at Leeds,it would have looked a bit odd and would have ned to be full to pay it's way....unfortunatly the Trent runs in a culvert there and although it could be built over the costs where enourmous.

So we moved to ice station zebra :)

Even though they weren't all good times I still miss the old place

The name Stoke CITY didn't gave away that it infact is not a town then? :winner_third_h4h:

Good luck in the playoffs, hope that your pygmy of a manager doesn't bottle it like he's bottled the automatic place. Oh and just one more thing, I know we brought 800 to Ashton Gate, but 1700 for a game of such magnitude with 3 games to go :noexpression:

Good first post, lets have it right though, two weeks ago you lot wanted to kill pulis, you hated him, crap, don't know what he is doing, your words, not ours, we just dislike the bloke because we know him better than you, you will soon see his true colours, as for the pygmy as you call him, check back through our forum, none of are lads have ever been so disrespectful to GJ as your fans have been to Pulis,or as he is known down here, poltice, something you put on to draw out an infected boil, seems he is in the right club at last, as for wembley yea well done, pity the ref never seen you cheat, but thats water under the bridge, shame you have to go back so far to have a dig, just shows what you have achieved, nothing, as for our support, it just has not sunk in has it so let me tell you again, YOUR PLACE IS A COMPLETE TIP, nobody wants to go there, not even your fans, poltice has to beg you, and the fact it was on the telly, great for the bristol boys, one journey to another shite pit we don't have to make, as for your support at AG, your having a laugh, like we will be if you go up, you lot make derby look great, second rate club, in a second rate ground, in a despot of a city, now trot of to sunday school boy, you are not old enough or wise enough to post on here

Archived