IGNORED

Stoke And Their Weird Stadium

Will Rollason

• SC&T Board Members
In English please.

see post 17

Splitting hairs:

Stoke-on-Trent (i.e. Stoke + Fenton + Longton + Burslem + Tunstall + Hanley) = city

Stoke = town

Therefore the sign was correct AND the name of the football club is also correct (the club has only been called 'City' since the merger of the six Potteries towns and the granting of city status to the merged conurbation in 1925)

PS - The sign 'Stoke town centre' was pointing to the centre of the little town of Stoke. Roadsigns in the area pointing to the 'City centre' take you to Hanley, where all the main shops are. This is thus regarded as the centre of the city of Stoke-on-Trent.

The two questions above...

Safe standing, long time ago..but no ...it wasn't on the agenda, one of the reasons for new grounds being built at the time was the change from old big grounds to all seater stadiums

Would I have stayed at the Vic...yes , but at 48 I grew up on terraces

As I couldn't stand at the new place I went from one extreme to the other and sit in the upper tier, great view no atmosphere, but did so because I didn't think stoke would stay seated..

Don't mind away standing as it's an 'us against them' mentatlity , but up and down at home games just because we crossed the half way line wasn't my idea of fun...in fairness it's not happened

Lot of the old boothen and boothen paddock mob ,split all over the place...many instead of going behind the goal chose the stand to your right ..it's not the boothen or the little mob to your left but the side stand that's potentially the most partizan part of the ground

Fans who were organised and quick off the mark ( ie not a terrace thing) bought the prime seats on ST's behind the goal..in general moderate family people are where the 'singers' should be..its why as you look at the boothen from the away end the 'singing mob' instead of being in the middle is actually in the bottom right hand corner.

Plans to stay included seats on the old large terrace, possibly with a new roof , seats in the paddocks and a new 12,000 to the boothens right , which would have been impressive, but similar to the one at Leeds,it would have looked a bit odd and would have ned to be full to pay it's way....unfortunatly the Trent runs in a culvert there and although it could be built over the costs where enourmous.

So we moved to ice station zebra :)

Even though they weren't all good times I still miss the old place

You used the word partizan but yesterday it was pretty average despite the occassion. This is not a pop but the Britannia is a crap day out compared to the Victoria. Seems to me that the stadium has sucked the life out of your suppport and Pullis aside see why Stokes gates are not great[neither are ours] because it would crush me to see Bristol City move to similar.

I really fear ice station zebra could appear in the West.

Don't worry about it Saab driver, it will be the weirdest ground in the Premier League next season so you won't have to return.

:winner_third_h4h: good shout.

money was tight when it was built ( it was built for around half the going rate of new grounds at the time )

Unless you're spending 200m upwards you'll get the same or similar.

Ground was built by the forming of a controlling company made up of the club , developers and the council , which hampered development + maintenece untill now....there's still snag list items outstandiong from the original build.

However, stoke bought the stadium in full this season.and regardless of the division we're playing in now have a devlopment plan off the pitch, which also includes the building of the training ground..portakabins for that to be introduced in the interim that the press harp on about are those previously used by Villa during their re development and are as far removed from a portakabin as you can get.

The stadium, What you see is stage 1 of 3 stages , footings are already in place for one of the corners , ground's designed to be expanded upwards...( though highly iunlikely that will ever occur ) same design as Mboro.

Planning permission in place for a £1m underpass leading from behind the home end to the harvester,which will be completed next summer, general maintance and cleaning of the stadium will take place for the first time this summer.

True it's built were no one wanted to go ..no pubs, no chippies etc , but then the police wanted us out of the warren of terrace streets that surronded the old ground.

But for the first time since we moved we've got a chance to make it our home rather than just somewhere that we play

Don't knock it until you're sitting in your new one and your new one pleases you...the Vic was a hole , but it was our hole and we loved it...AG is a hole but I guess you love it..certainly as a visiting fan it's better than the new bowls...you'll miss the old place.

Thanks for that fella. Good insight into what might befall us unless we are very careful.

Whats the feeling amongst the faithful about the Prem?

All those years striving to get their and then the fear of doing a Derby? Or confident ?

crap ground, crap fans, crap town

Stoke is just one of 7 towns all loosely amalgamated into a city called Stoke on Trent. Even more weird is that the centre of 'Stoke' is in Hanley, one of those towns. All of which, as we should know, grew up in the making of find bone china. It is still one of the most deprived places in England and boy does it show. Like most people, everywhere you go and especially up norf, they are salt of the earth and very friendly. But when you see Primark as the main retail outlet and 'Booze Bargains' and 'Cheap Fags' as major stadium sponsors you know you are somewhere with real depravation.

The stadium is really looking worse for wears and its only what a dozen or so years old and, as has been mentioned, very odd design.

As for the weather.. arctic winds spring to mind.

Splitting hairs:

Stoke-on-Trent (i.e. Stoke + Fenton + Longton + Burslem + Tunstall + Hanley) = city

Stoke = town

Therefore the sign was correct AND the name of the football club is also correct (the club has only been called 'City' since the merger of the six Potteries towns and the granting of city status to the merged conurbation in 1925)

PS - The sign 'Stoke town centre' was pointing to the centre of the little town of Stoke. Roadsigns in the area pointing to the 'City centre' take you to Hanley, where all the main shops are. This is thus regarded as the centre of the city of Stoke-on-Trent.

What a strange place.

"so we will be able to retain all the pubs, shops cafes that are so welcoming for home and visiting fans alike"

Yes, our supporters who came on the coach and frogmarched to AG really loved the Bristolian welcome of having pint pots thrown at them from nutters coming out of a local by the ground. Let's face it, you're nutters are out in force every single time I've been to your ground. Funny, how we admit to our problem and have made steps to sort it, yet it seems some clubs quite like burying their heads in the sand.

Love Bristol the city, great place and had tons of great nights out there. But some on this mb have really shown themselves to be small-time with their attempted put downs of SOT as a city, our crowd, ground etc. I expect better from you lot.

Facts; the better team won, and it was electric in our ends. Good luck for the rest of the seson folks.

"so we will be able to retain all the pubs, shops cafes that are so welcoming for home and visiting fans alike"

Yes, our supporters who came on the coach and frogmarched to AG really loved the Bristolian welcome of having pint pots thrown at them from nutters coming out of a local by the ground. Let's face it, you're nutters are out in force every single time I've been to your ground. Funny, how we admit to our problem and have made steps to sort it, yet it seems some clubs quite like burying their heads in the sand.

Love Bristol the city, great place and had tons of great nights out there. But some on this mb have really shown themselves to be small-time with their attempted put downs of SOT as a city, our crowd, ground etc. I expect better from you lot.

Facts; the better team won, and it was electric in our ends. Good luck for the rest of the seson folks.

WE get the same treatment when we travel away. If you get the coach or the train then you are at the mercy of the police. Best thing I have found is to drive and it's cheaper to if there is a few of you.

And as for the highlighted bit, Stop kidding yourselves.

I went to Stoke yesterday for the first time and in my opinion they thought about the stadium layout to a tee for their club!

They abviously said before the build:

"Lets leave half the stadium open so the wind can sweep in and carry the football along with our long ball tactics"

Hope plenty of people have filled out the survey for our new gate as i don't want a shithole like the Brittania!

I went to Stoke yesterday for the first time and in my opinion they thought about the stadium layout to a tee for their club!

They abviously said before the build:

"Lets leave half the stadium open so the wind can sweep in and carry the football along with our long ball tactics"

Hope plenty of people have filled out the survey for our new gate as i don't want a shithole like the Brittania!

**** me long ball tactics!!!!! you didnt go to the game and watch your team then? huffball is your new tactic or was it that your players were shiting themselfs?

Go away you northern #######. Yes we lost, yes we didnt play well but you do play long ball football like we have seem to be doing during the past few months and why i feel we havent been doing well.

With you it seems to work, lump it up to the big ugly bloke and it will score goals.

Its not football though.

wasnt so hard was it takes a man to admit defeat! that big ugly bloke scored twice! could believe it myself!

The name Stoke CITY didn't gave away that it infact is not a town then? :winner_third_h4h:

Good luck in the playoffs, hope that your pygmy of a manager doesn't bottle it like he's bottled the automatic place. Oh and just one more thing, I know we brought 800 to Ashton Gate, but 1700 for a game of such magnitude with 3 games to go :noexpression:

so over twice as many

plus it was on tv

plus there was no direct train to bristol after the game due to the late ko

plus the away game before and after have sold out

plus stoke, whether its a town or a city is one of the most depressing places in england

13th worse place to live i think it came last year - surely it should be in the top 5

surely all games are as important so the fact that you only took 800 means most of your fans are glory hunters.

I think we will need a lot of luck in the play offs - we've run out of steam and look tired - don't think we've got 3 big play off games in us, but you never know. Whether we finish 2nd or 7th we have had a great season. Our pygmy manager as you call him will sign well in the summer as he is a great manager, look at his record. And with a great chairman at the helm its good times in south Bristol

Wont wish you good luck as you don't deserve it, cant quite believe i may have to watch your vile club and that t+at of a manager on M.O.T.D then year..... oh dear

so over twice as many

plus it was on tv

plus stoke, whether its a town or a city is one of the most depressing places in england

13th worse place to live i think it came last year - surely it should be in the top 5

surely all games are as important so the fact that you only took 800 means most of your fans are glory hunters.

I think we will need a lot of luck in the play offs - we've run out of steam and look tired - don't think we've got 3 big play off games in us, but you never know. Whether we finish 2nd or 7th we have had a great season. Our pygmy manager as you call him will sign well in the summer as he is a great manager, look at his record. And with a great chairman at the helm its good times in south Bristol

Wont wish you good luck as you don't deserve it, cant quite believe i may have to watch your vile club and that t+at of a manager on M.O.T.D then year..... oh dear

QUOTE (boothenendboy @ Apr 20 2008, 12:53 AM) *

asked my mum and she says she's had plenty of c**k from bristol.she didnt mention hung like a horse though

so over twice as many

plus it was on tv

Maybe it would suggest slight gloryhunting, however, Stoke were just outside the playoffs at the time, we hadn't got as good a team. I'm not saying Stoke would have sold X amount of whatever. The main thing is that your lot came on our board and said we could seel 5/6000 and then you don't even sell your initial allocation

I didn't mind the stadium that much but there is fuck all to do outside which is something we definately don't want to have when we leave AG. The worst thing about the inside was the weather. Mediocre is a suitable word to describe the britannia stadium.

weird ground, LOUD fans. When they did sing, credit where its due, they were flipping LOUD!! Louder the the gate could ever be unfortuneately!
I think that has something to do with there deep Brummie come Manc come scouse accents.

Archived