IGNORED

Psycological Edge

rayer

Just had an interesting conversation and we disagreed concerning views.

At the moment, I think one of the biggest deciding factors of tomorrows game will be the moment the teams walk out on the pitch. They will either lap it up and love it, or from the sheer specticule of the size of the stadium/crowd, world press flashing away and the worldwide audience, the knees will start shaking and feelings will be all over the place.

It all depends on how the team are mentally prepared before walking out on the turf. Hopefully GJ will get the team ready, but you have to take into account that at the moment even GJ has not been in a game of this magnitude before.

Now, Hull however have experienced members in there squad, like Barmby and Windass, who can help prepare their team for what to expect, lead by example etc etc as they have more expereince in large high pressured profile games.

Looking back at the Brighton playoff, it goes to show how the team must be mentally prepared. We had Danny Wilson who had experience in the top flight, but when it came to that play off final, you could see the team wasnt ready in the head, and everyone knows what our performance was like in that game.

This is where GJ hopefully will now raise to the next level, top flight management, and get the lads totally in 'the zone' and what to expect when they walk out onto the wembley pitch, totally focussed and ready to do one thing, the job.

I cannot imagine what it would be like to walk out in front of 90,000 fans in the worlds most famous stadium, in front of the whole world, playing in the biggest match of your life.

We will all find out tomorrow.

:englandsmile4wf:

I think you're right about most things you said, but personally, I don't see having a few experienced heads in the changing room will help the whole team. Sure, those individuals (Windass and Barmby are the obvious ones, as you said) will probably be more prepared mentally, but I still think that each player is different and that they will either rise up to the occasion, or shy away. Even if they know what to expect, walking out on to the pitch with an eruption of noise must still get every single player either excited or terrified.

I can see that some players in our changing room will lap up the atmosphere (Trundle, McIndoe) but I'm sure that there will be a good few players from both teams who start a little shakily, or don't make an impact on the game at all.

For me, it's the managers who really get their teams mentally and psychologically prepared. They need to fire them up and make them want to give everything they've got. I'm sure GJ would much rather have to sub off an absolutely shattered player who has given his all, rather than someone who has played fairly averagly and has failed to make an impact.

I just hope, HOPE, that our lads give it their all. If they do, then we can't ask for anything more.....

....and we'll win!

gj is a very shrewd manager who i believe instills such belief in his players that they would lay their life down for this game for the fans the club their fellow players i really feel one and all will be mentally & physically prepared for battle 2moro

Interesting post.

The first thing we did after beating Palace, aside from having a days rest, was to go to Portugal. This had the effect of taking the players away from the pressure at home but also instilled in the players the idea that Saturday is no normal game.

I suspect GJ has spent the last 10 days drilling into the players not only the importance of the game but also, that if they trust him and their training they will win the game.

This should have the effect of instilling confidence in the players, but by making them fully aware of the situation they should be less likely to freeze on the day. They've had 10 days to get their head around it. Least i hopes that's what will happen.

Compare this with Hull who have spent all week treating it as a normal game when quite clearly it's not. By turning a blind eye to the magnitude of the game the occasion could catch them by surprise and they may freeze. Well, one can hope.

GJ will do the old...look into my eyes, not around the eyes, in the eyes..1..2...3...your under. OK, when you wake up, you are as good as a player from Real Madrid and this game will be a piece of piss

Interesting post.

The first thing we did after beating Palace, aside from having a days rest, was to go to Portugal.

That was a very wise thing to do, otherwise they would of been caught in all the media whirlwind. The Portugal trip was to bring them back to earth and get total focus away from all the news without distractions.

Just had an interesting conversation and we disagreed concerning views.

At the moment, I think one of the biggest deciding factors of tomorrows game will be the moment the teams walk out on the pitch. They will either lap it up and love it, or from the sheer specticule of the size of the stadium/crowd, world press flashing away and the worldwide audience, the knees will start shaking and feelings will be all over the place.

It all depends on how the team are mentally prepared before walking out on the turf. Hopefully GJ will get the team ready, but you have to take into account that at the moment even GJ has not been in a game of this magnitude before.

Now, Hull however have experienced members in there squad, like Barmby and Windass, who can help prepare their team for what to expect, lead by example etc etc as they have more expereince in large high pressured profile games.

Looking back at the Brighton playoff, it goes to show how the team must be mentally prepared. We had Danny Wilson who had experience in the top flight, but when it came to that play off final, you could see the team wasnt ready in the head, and everyone knows what our performance was like in that game.

This is where GJ hopefully will now raise to the next level, top flight management, and get the lads totally in 'the zone' and what to expect when they walk out onto the wembley pitch, totally focussed and ready to do one thing, the job.

I cannot imagine what it would be like to walk out in front of 90,000 fans in the worlds most famous stadium, in front of the whole world, playing in the biggest match of your life.

We will all find out tomorrow.

:englandsmile4wf:

But that said..... as a Musician and a bit of an old pro..... I would say..... that if you asked me to play in front of those 90,000.......

I would say..... Bring it on...... Yes please!

I hope it's Hull that suffer the not turning up stage fright..... Not Bristol City this time..... fingers crossed

Oh by the way......... About four thousand live..... was as far as I got live...... but that said there would have been far more for the various Radio 1 sessions and the odd record that I played on ;)..... not many but must have been heard by a few back in the 80's....... nothing really bigtime..... I don't make false claims..... the music biz is like that :)

Archived