IGNORED

City All Over The World

The Man In Black

I have a RSS feed that is linked to a customer Google News search for Bristol City related stories.

In the last week or so it has gone haywire, with news sources all over the world reporting stories on us, such as this one

It's really bizarre, and will surely be a daily occurrence if we win tomorrow. Also nice to see the Australian and Irish media interviewing and having in depth articles on players such as Carle and Sproule.

I have a RSS feed that is linked to a customer Google News search for Bristol City related stories.

In the last week or so it has gone haywire, with news sources all over the world reporting stories on us, such as this one

It's really bizarre, and will surely be a daily occurrence if we win tomorrow. Also nice to see the Australian and Irish media interviewing and having in depth articles on players such as Carle and Sproule.

I know what you mean, my inbox is full of alerts, some strange stories too. We having a party here too. http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_soccerblog/

www.whittlesealeader.com.au/article/2008/05/20/35660_wpv_news.html - 17k -

Here's one from slightly left field.

A Newspaper in rural Victoria, (Australia) writes of young gun Robert Stambolziev

Whittlesea teen on a roll to English Premier League

20May08

Robert Stambolziev, from Whittlesea township, is hoping to forge a career in the English Premier League.

LIKE many young soccer fans, Robert Stambolziev, pictured, has dreams of playing in the English Premier League.

But, unlike many other young fans, that dream is within striking distance for the 17-year-old from Whittlesea township.

At 14 he travelled to England to train with English clubs and impressed scouts. Then last year he was signed as a first-year scholar with Bristol City's Premier League Academy.

He has been based in Britain to play with the Academy side for the past 15 months.

Back on his family's farm for the end-of-season break, Robert said his experiences with Bristol City were a world away from his time with clubs in Preston and North Coburg.

"It was hard to get used to at the start. We were doing double training sessions in a day instead of twice a week over here," he said.

"There's pressure, but it's good pressure. There are expectations you know you have to meet and it pushes you harder to meet those.

"I've enjoyed it, it's been good."

Robert, who plays as a striker or on the left wing, has already been called up to play with the club's Championship League Reserves team and has scored three goals from four starts.

He flew in to high expectations when he arrived in Bristol last February, and coach John Clayton had already been raving about him to the local press.

"He is excellent and we have got high hopes for him," Clayton told Bristol's Evening Post.

Being the only recruit to come from outside the Bristol area meant there were nerves, Robert said.

"The boys had all grown up with each other and, with me coming in and taking someone else's position, I thought that would be a problem," he said. "But it's been really good, we all get along."

The team studies together at the City Academy Bristol College, where Robert is completing a sports science course.

He is also doing his year 12 studies through correspondence.

As the Academy's joint top scorer for the season, Robert is on his way to his dream of playing in the English Premier League.

Bristol City's senior team will play Hull City for a spot in the league in a promotion play-off at Wembley Stadium on Saturday.

Another dream lies closer to home.

"The long-term goal would be to play for Australia," Robert said.

There is a nightly sports show here in America called "The FSN Final Score." They sometimes show Premier League and MLS highlights but never anything else even remotely football related. Imagine my shock when they showed highlights of every playoff match! There was also an article picked up off the wire in one of my local newspapers; truly bizarre.

Archived