IGNORED

Linesman

i know that this isn't a major point and didn't cost us anything but, every hull goal kick windass was at least 10-15 yards offside when the ball was kicked, and was active because he challenged for every header and won some of the them. the lino didn't flag once

anyone else notice this? was pissing me and my dad right off!!

By goal kick, both us ex-refs assume he means from a goal kick as opposed to a drop kick.

You cannot be offside from a restart when the ball has gone out of play (throw in, corner, goal kick, goal).

You can be offside when the keeper kicks from his hands (or throws it).

There's an interesting point! As you have to be in an offside position when the ball is played, at what point is the ball "played" when it's thrown? It's easy to see from a kick!

By goal kick, both us ex-refs assume he means from a goal kick as opposed to a drop kick.

You cannot be offside from a restart when the ball has gone out of play (throw in, corner, goal kick, goal).

You can be offside when the keeper kicks from his hands (or throws it).

You can't be offside for a corner kick because the ball is in advance of ALL players.

You can be in advanced position. The quarter arc is one metre. So if the kick is taken from the furthest point it is one metre from the bye line, so techincally you can be in an offside position.

But you can't be offisde because it's a restart (as explained earlier).

I know that this is an old topic, but I needed it bumped to the top to offer my apologies to Lord Football as he is right - you cannot be offside from a restart after the ball has gone out of play.

I apologise wholeheartedly for my incredulity, and to substantiate his point i attach the link from the BBC web-site

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/r...ent/4993924.stm

It seems its not only my missus who doesn't understand the offside rule :blush:

You can be in advanced position. The quarter arc is one metre. So if the kick is taken from the furthest point it is one metre from the bye line, so techincally you can be in an offside position.

But you can't be offisde because it's a restart (as explained earlier).

I'm no referee but are you sure that the arc stretches one metre from the bye line. That would be an awful big arc. I think maybe you will find that the arc has a one metre outside circumference. I am also no great mathmetician, but this would mean the distance from bye line to furthest pointr of arc would be less than half a metre.

I'm no referee but are you sure that the arc stretches one metre from the bye line. That would be an awful big arc. I think maybe you will find that the arc has a one metre outside circumference. I am also no great mathmetician, but this would mean the distance from bye line to furthest pointr of arc would be less than half a metre.

From FA Site

The Corner Arc

A quarter circle with a radius of 1m (1yd) from each corner flagpost is drawn inside the field of play.

Thankyou for that. That would mean 1 metre around, which includes the straight bits of the bye line and touchline. No way is the arc 1 metre from the bye line.

No it wouldn't, the radius is the distance from the centre of a circle to it's edge. The centre being the corner flag and the edge being the curved line.

Thankyou for that. That would mean 1 metre around, which includes the straight bits of the bye line and touchline. No way is the arc 1 metre from the bye line.

No it wouldn't, the radius is the distance from the centre of a circle to it's edge. The centre being the corner flag and the edge being the curved line.

Which is what Kingpin said (I think).

The edge of the circle meets the touchline and byeline 1 metre from the corner flag. This seems wrong.

I'm not really one for maths, but Lee Johnson seems to manage to take his corners from a foot or so outside the arc at the East End, especially when that corner gets too worn and the ball just rolls. So all those corners are illegal, technically.

I know that this is an old topic, but I needed it bumped to the top to offer my apologies to Lord Football as he is right - you cannot be offside from a restart after the ball has gone out of play.

I apologise wholeheartedly for my incredulity, and to substantiate his point i attach the link from the BBC web-site

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/r...ent/4993924.stm

It seems its not only my missus who doesn't understand the offside rule :blush:

Trust me, on a windy Sunday morning or Saturday afternoon, you can score many a goal by exploiting this rule.

RBFCTillIDie and his Real Bristol team mates can confirm this after their friendly with the Forum team :innocent06:

Trust me, on a windy Sunday morning or Saturday afternoon, you can score many a goal by exploiting this rule.

RBFCTillIDie and his Real Bristol team mates can confirm this after their friendly with the Forum team :innocent06:

Yes I thought the same.

I can't remember ever seeing City trying to exploit it though....

whats the decision then ... going back to the ball going out of play and you cant be offside ... if youre in the opposition half when kick off is taken is that just encroachment?

It's a separate law.

All players must be in their own half of the field at kick off.

Archived