IGNORED

Anyone Worried About Gj Leaving

The Man In Black

I know that some people are worried about Johnson being poached. In fact, it's all my old boss goes on about. He's a Wolves fan and has said for weeks that if we don't go up Johnson will go elsewhere. But there's only one other team I worry about.... when Gary moved here he said that he would only leave Yeovil for two clubs, we were one of them. Who was the other one?

What I worry more about is us the fans. Gary has said that he wants to be somewhere he can build something. He has taken 10,000 crowds and made them at least 15,000, all whilst taking us up the leagues. The first season he turned us from relegation contenders to narrowly missing out on the play-offs. Then he got us promoted and in the first season of the Championship we were one goal from the Premier League.

There's still more to come if we want it. We've been there so we know we can be there again, there is talk of a new stadium and those crowds could only grow. At the moment, it is still unfinished business and I reckon that he is hurting and will want to be there again at the right end of the league next season.

But I fear that if we all start moaning like City fans used to - before we all started to 'believe' and became the 12th man - he might think the grass is greener elsewhere.

Any thoughts?

I doubt very much that GJ will leave between now and august. My worry is that, if we're not looking like strong contenders around October/November when Prem managers start to go, he might be tempted. Having said that, I don't think he's the sort to nleave a job half done.

I know that some people are worried about Johnson being poached. In fact, it's all my old boss goes on about. He's a Wolves fan and has said for weeks that if we don't go up Johnson will go elsewhere. But there's only one other team I worry about.... when Gary moved here he said that he would only leave Yeovil for two clubs, we were one of them. Who was the other one?

What I worry more about is us the fans. Gary has said that he wants to be somewhere he can build something. He has taken 10,000 crowds and made them at least 15,000, all whilst taking us up the leagues. The first season he turned us from relegation contenders to narrowly missing out on the play-offs. Then he got us promoted and in the first season of the Championship we were one goal from the Premier League.

There's still more to come if we want it. We've been there so we know we can be there again, there is talk of a new stadium and those crowds could only grow. At the moment, it is still unfinished business and I reckon that he is hurting and will want to be there again at the right end of the league next season.

But I fear that if we all start moaning like City fans used to - before we all started to 'believe' and became the 12th man - he might think the grass is greener elsewhere.

Any thoughts?

Hi TMIB,

The other club would almost certainly be Watford. He was youth team coach there and still has a lot of good friends there, I believe he even knew Keith Millen from his time there...

There are two things to remember about that comment. Firstly, he made it just after he signed for you meaning that he had obviously thought about it while with us. Derby, Coventry ( I think ) and one other ( sorry, can't remember who ) approached us to talk but he didn't leave. He made that comment from a position of mid-table League One when Watford were much higher. Would he go to Watford now? Some might genuinely argue it was a backward step for him. You have crowds not too far behind Watford and although you're no better off at the end of the season than them, barring a trip to Wembley, you certainly equipped yourselves better during the playoffs than they did.

The second thing is that you are now a top-drawer Championship side and the Premier League is within touching distance for both yourselves as a club and Gary as an individual. He left us when we were at our highest ( at that time ) and moved "sideways" to you although most folk can admit you're way bigger than us. Gary might start off next season really well and want to stay or start reasonably and want to go. Depends what happens above him in the Prem. Roy Hodgson did a great job at Fulham keeping them up so he must have bought himself some time. Mowbray should be pretty immune from dismissal after his promotion and Pulis, well I'm not so sure about. If Coppell had gone, GJ might have been worth a shout but he's staying too. Doesn't leave many. If he does go, I'd be surprised if it were a club in your division other than Watford really, maybe it's higher up he'll be looking at now.

Savour him and treasure him while he's there. He's one of a kind, both in PR and talent, and you'll miss him when he's gone. We do!

Archived