IGNORED

The Wembley Pitch Is Awful

Rudolf Hucker

When I watched the FA Cup Final on TV I thought that the pitch looked very slow and contributed to a pretty ordinary game. Sadly, it hadn't improved in time for yesterday's game.

The ball didn't seem to roll and kept getting stuck under the feet of those guys that like to run with the ball such as McIndoe and Carle. Our pitch at AG is many times better and suits our game more.

We can't use the pitch as an excuse because we were beaten by a great goal but if this is the pitch that our national team have to play on then frankly, it's no wonder that we're sitting out this summer's European Championships.

Thoughts?

I thought everything about Wembley was awful once you'd got over the "oooh, big innit" moment.

Awful pitch and terrible acoustics in a sterile stadium. It barely even felt like you were actually at the game, in a strange way.

I thought everything about Wembley was awful once you'd got over the "oooh, big innit" moment.

Awful pitch and terrible acoustics in a sterile stadium. It barely even felt like you were actually at the game, in a strange way.

Got to say that I much prefer the Millenium. Seems to offer better view(s), accoustics and only a few miles away!!

Spot on, it does have an initial WOW factor but after that you feel disconnected. Also cant get used to escalators, felt like I was at Cribbs !!

Both my lads said they would go for Ashton Gate anyday.

Sadly it heavyly favoured Hulls only tactic, to hit it long, and hope that their player could catch up with it, the ball sat up nicely giving them loads of time to catch it. On the other hand city tried to pass it around, take it past players, and generally use skill to win the game; the sad fact is that these tactics require the ball on the ground, especially taking it past a player, Mcindoe and Trundle both seem to like using skills where the ball is close into thier feet (as apposed to their striker, who seemed to like knocking it round players and use his pace), keeping the ball close to their feet just didn't work on that pitch, because little touches couldn't move the ball around in the way it would at ashton gate.

This was furthur proved when Sproule came on, and a player that has looked sadly poor at taking on players at ashton gate, could beat their defenders easily using his pace.

Worryingly this may not have been a mistake, and is infact the way that English football is going to be in the Capello eara, we have quick forwards, but not too many players who like the little tricks (as apposed to players like ronaldo) I really hope were not going to have to watch years of England hoof and hope, but looking at that pitch, I think its the way its going.

Not sour grapes at all, but I genuinely believe that at Cardiff, we would have stood a far better chance.

Did anyone see the pitch get watered?

I was in there from just after 2 and didn't see the sprinklers come on at all, and thought it was strange at the time, given the dry weather we've been having.

Didn't notice it at the time, but no, I was there from 1 and there was no sprinklers on

Where did you sit Edson?

I was in Row 17 right behind the goal and the view, I think, was about the best in the ground (Not through choice of course. I was just lucky. Why would I expect a choice when ringing up to pay £62???). Having said that I was still about 100m from the touchline. I imagine people in the Upper Tier must have felt like they were watching from Brentford.

Yes it's wembely everything should be perfect? I was in block 530 way up and thought the view of the whole stadium and the players was pretty amazing. I could tell which players were which quite easily, as for the whole acoustics thing it was never going to be great but then again it's a massive stadium for amazing football games(not amercian football :noexpression: ).

I was saying to my mate about the pitch being way to slow. i was inside from half 1 and not a drop of water went on it. I would be surprised if GJ didn't ask the ref @ half time to put the sprinklers on. Another thing that was poor was the lack of half time entertainment. i know u don't go for that but absolutely nothing happened excpet a few coca cola adverts.

Where did you sit Edson?

I was in Row 17 right behind the goal and the view, I think, was about the best in the ground (Not through choice of course. I was just lucky. Why would I expect a choice when ringing up to pay £62???). Having said that I was still about 100m from the touchline. I imagine people in the Upper Tier must have felt like they were watching from Brentford.

It was, far to far from the pitch. Overpriced, overhyped and just another concrete bowl.Give me the Dolman anyday (and I'm being serious).

As for the pitch,it was clear to see how slow it is just by how many passes of ours went short . Just watched the Leeds game and exactly the same. It doesnt get played on enough and the grass is to lush for quick passing football.

Thought the atmosphere was shxte, i was surrounded by people who kept SILENT throughout the whole game.

All in all another hugely frustrating day. Perhaps one goal may have made me think different though :noexpression:

Where did you sit Edson?

Not at all. Was in the corner, bottom of the top tier and the view was incredible.

In all pictures it looks miles from the pitch, but you feel incredibly close. Not like watching ants at all.

Had a perfect 'birds eye' view of the game, and I certainly saw the game pan out better than you could.

;)

Got to say that I much prefer the Millenium. Seems to offer better view(s), accoustics and only a few miles away!!

I completely agree with you Mr Red,Millenium is far better.

As for the pitch yesterday,don't get me started on that subject.......... :disapointed2se:

No please, do tell!

Thought although the grass looked lush and green it was too long and didn't seem to have been watered,this meant that actually passing the ball became very difficult.When we did try and run with the ball it was getting caught under the players feet.Long balls were holding up on the bounce.

Just spoke to a mate of mine (Southampton fan) and he said that they mentioned this on Sky.Apparently it had been watered early on but had dried out very quickly.They also thought that the grass was too long.

Same for both teams so not using this as an excuse,but with all the money spent on the set up at Wembley you would think they would have bought a decent lawnmower!!

I watched the Donny v Leeds match earlier and despite the fact that the pitch was damp due to rain, it wasn't any better than the day before. Passes rolled along the surface seem to bounce up and bobble all over the place. Yet all of the commentators remark upon how wonderful and lush (I think they mean "gert lush") it looks.

Perhaps Geoff Boycott should stick his key into it and give us his opinion?

Archived