IGNORED

Championship Table 08/09

iWurzel

OK, so now we are starting to move on from Saturday's heartbreak, let's look forward to the next season, and have your predictions for the final table come May 2009!

I'll get the ball rolling

Reading

Crystal Palace

-------------------

Birmingham

Ipswich

Bristol City

QPR

-------------------

Wolverhampton

Charlton

Derby

Watford

Sheff Utd

Southampton

Plymouth

Preston

Burnley

Sheff Wed

Norwich

Doncaster

Barnsley

Coventry

Swansea

-------------------

Cardiff

Nottm Forest

Blackpool

So: Reading & Palace up automatically and Playoffs will be Birmingham vs QPR and Ipswich vs City

Final Birmingham vs City

Promotion: BRISTOL CITY!

Oh, and our friendly neighbours from Cardiff down while Swansea survive by a point :winner_third_h4h:

Carlsberg don't make league table predictions....

Top 6

------

Birmingham

Reading

-------------

Palace

QPR

Ipswich

Charlton

Bottom 3

---------

Sheff Wed

Barnsley

Doncaster

City to finish 10th or there about.

Obviously based on current squads - a hell of a lot can change with the summer signings, ask us again at the start of August !!!

I'm bored, so-

1 Birmingham

2 Reading

3 QPR

4 Wolves

5 Charlton

6 Derby

7 Sheff Utd

8 Nottm Forest

9 City

10 Norwich

11 Coventry

12 Southampton

13 Cardiff

14 Preston

15 Ipswich

16 Palace

17 Burnley

18 Watford

19 Swansea

20 Sheff Wed

21 Plymouth

22 Barnsley

23 Blackpool

24 Doncaster

How can you possibly try and predict the league next season when you don't know what players teams will be starting the season with?

My early money goes on Palace, Norwich, QPR and Sheff Utd to vastly improve on this season, Swansea to be the surprise package and three from Sheff Weds, Barnsley, Doncaster, Blackpool, Preston and us to go down.

Only because these play-off defeats often linger on into the next season, just look at PNE's hangover this year after missing out the year before and the same can be said with Colchester's second season syndrome. GJ's got a massive task to restore this belief that got us where we are today in my book and this league is going to be a heck of a lot harder next year. We need to bring in genuine quality to keep moving forward. :tomato:

How can you possibly try and predict the league next season when you don't know what players teams will be starting the season with?

My early money goes on Palace, Norwich, QPR and Sheff Utd to vastly improve on this season, Swansea to be the surprise package and three from Sheff Weds, Barnsley, Doncaster, Blackpool, Preston and us to go down.

Only because these play-off defeats often linger on into the next season, just look at PNE's hangover this year after missing out the year before and the same can be said with Colchester's second season syndrome. GJ's got a massive task to restore this belief that got us where we are today in my book and this league is going to be a heck of a lot harder next year. We need to bring in genuine quality to keep moving forward. :tomato:

PNE went out semi and sold the only good assett they had in Nugent. WBA lost in final and used that as a springboard to a great next season. We don't rely on one striker, just one keeper :bruce_h4h: , but in all honesty it's only our scoring that needs to addressed as i have mentioned on other threads. Couple of fresh strikers with pace and tricky feet and actually able to let off a shot or ten a game, we'll do well i think :fingerscrossed:

PNE went out semi and sold the only good assett they had in Nugent. WBA lost in final and used that as a springboard to a great next season. We don't rely on one striker, just one keeper :bruce_h4h: , but in all honesty it's only our scoring that needs to addressed as i have mentioned on other threads. Couple of fresh strikers with pace and tricky feet and actually able to let off a shot or ten a game, we'll do well i think :fingerscrossed:

Whilst I agree in essence with what your saying, we're a much more similar sized club to PNE than we are to WBA. West Brom also sold some of their best assets in players like Curtis Davies but brought in snips with genuine class like Koren to keep them moving forward. PNE had a similar budget to what we will have and struggled.

The springboard for our success this season was the momentum we built up from promotion last year and the belief that generated. I fear that's taken a huge dent following the weekend and it may linger into next season unless we improve the squad with proven quality in certain areas.

The springboard for our success this season was the momentum we built up from promotion last year and the belief that generated. I fear that's taken a huge dent following the weekend and it may linger into next season unless we improve the squad with proven quality in certain areas.

I know what you're saying James, but why should our confidence have taken such a huge dent?! We finished THIRD in our first season back in the Championship and were one Lardass away from getting into the Premier League! That's how close it was.

I honestly can't see us losing any of our best players, and to be fair we're not a team build around a couple of individuals like Preston or other sides have been. We're a team that is greater than the sum of its parts. I think we can only get stronger, as long as we keep the management structure in place.

I'm not saying it'll be plain sailing - I still think we need two or three players - but i think we're big enough and strong to build ourselves up, improve and get back up there again next year.

I know we shouldn't be over confident, but I honestly think we have to keep that belief we've had for the last two years and keep working hard - and Johnson will make sure we do that.

For us fans, next season starts NOW!

Having listened to Lansdown iin post wembley interviews i wouldn't be surprised to see us spend more than expected of a club our size. Upon getting promotion to the CCC no doubt SL would have taken spending a few years consolidating slowly improving, however his ambitions have been raised and i sense he now wants prem football badly. SL said we WILL be a prem side soon, somthing i don't think he would have said if we had just avoided relegation. I reckon SL may dig deep now his ambitions have been raised so much. just a theory of course.

I know what you're saying James, but why should our confidence have taken such a huge dent?! We finished THIRD in our first season back in the Championship and were one Lardass away from getting into the Premier League! That's how close it was.

I know mate but I'm going on past play-off losers/second season syndrome and reading between the lines of the players' reactions post-match at Wembley.

McIndoe's a prime example of one who has massive self belief but the way he was talking was the complete opposite. Mix that with people possibly coming in for GJ, if Watford complete their takeover and sack Boothroyd, and Basso, who's profile has soared this season and is crucial for the team spirit in the dressing room, and suddenly that dent becomes bigger and spreads like wildfire.

Obviously this is a worse case scenario but it shouldn't be dismissed totally out of hand either as our success would've definately attracted watching eyes for both our coaching staff and players.

I honestly can't see us losing any of our best players, and to be fair we're not a team build around a couple of individuals like Preston or other sides have been. We're a team that is greater than the sum of its parts. I think we can only get stronger, as long as we keep the management structure in place.

That's the key thought Matt - keeping everything together. As I said above, I fear our success could lead poachers this way. We've just got to keep everything in place and fine tune in certain areas - full back, centre back, versatile attacking midfielder who's predominantly a right winger, and a few strikers.

I'm not saying it'll be plain sailing - I still think we need two or three players - but i think we're big enough and strong to build ourselves up, improve and get back up there again next year.

I think we need five or six of proven ability, matchwinners if you will. I keep banging on the drum of WBA unearthing someone like Koren last season and we need to do the same, especially in attacking midfield. We could murder someone who's willing to shoot from distance like that and there must be some Eastern European out there for bugger all.

I know we shouldn't be over confident, but I honestly think we have to keep that belief we've had for the last two years and keep working hard - and Johnson will make sure we do that.

For us fans, next season starts NOW!

tins, you can hardly say WBA "unearthed" koren

he was playing in the same league as mifsud, olofinjana (sp?) of wolves and barnsley's keeper heinz muller

all 4 of those players were signed for combined fees of less than 3m, yet now you couldn't buy them for less than 10m

its just a case of half decent scouting

koren was already an international when he was signed

tins, you can hardly say WBA "unearthed" koren

he was playing in the same league as mifsud, olofinjana (sp?) of wolves and barnsley's keeper heinz muller

all 4 of those players were signed for combined fees of less than 3m, yet now you couldn't buy them for less than 10m

its just a case of half decent scouting

koren was already an international when he was signed

Fair play for having that knowledge but I'd never heard of him before WBA signed him and certainly don't follow Swedish or Slovenian football too closely. Good point about the scouting though, something we need to improve on. Hopefully we can find and bring in a player who'll have a similar impact.

OK, so now we are starting to move on from Saturday's heartbreak, let's look forward to the next season, and have your predictions for the final table come May 2009!

We'll be promoted as Champions. :winner_third_h4h:

Look out for Birmingham City - imminent collapse - their current Chairman/Directors are all wanting to sell their shares after being threatened by Birmingham 'fans' following relegation from the Premier League.

Bristol City Champions !!!!!

Sheff Utd

-------------------

Reading

Crystal Palace

Wolverhampton

QPR

-------------------

Ipswich

Charlton

Derby

Watford

Norwich

Southampton

Plymouth

Preston

Burnley

Sheff Wed

Cardiff

Barnsley

Coventry

Swansea

Nottm Forest

-------------------

Blackpool

Birmingham

Doncaster

Look out for Birmingham City - imminent collapse - their current Chairman/Directors are all wanting to sell their shares after being threatened by Birmingham 'fans' following relegation from the Premier League.

Sheff Utd

-------------------

Reading

Crystal Palace

Wolverhampton

QPR

-------------------

Ipswich

Charlton

Derby

Watford

Norwich

Southampton

Plymouth

Preston

Burnley

Sheff Wed

Cardiff

Barnsley

Coventry

Swansea

Nottm Forest

-------------------

Blackpool

Birmingham

Doncaster

I hope you're right goblin but..........

With QPR now buying players from the Premier League we could now be looking at finishing second. :noexpression:

With QPR's billionaire Chairman throwing money around they'll buy a promotion just as Blackburn did in the 1990's.

Sheff Utd

-------------------

Reading

Crystal Palace

Wolverhampton

QPR

-------------------

Ipswich

Charlton

Derby

Watford

Norwich

Southampton

Plymouth

Preston

Burnley

Sheff Wed

Cardiff

Barnsley

Coventry

Swansea

Nottm Forest

-------------------

Blackpool

Birmingham

Doncaster

but brum losing there board will have no effect on their playing squad who will still be the best in the division?

and forest will get playoffs that is my big bet for this year

I reckons

1. Birmingham

2. Sheffield United

----------------------

3. Reading

4. QPR

5. Wolves

6. Ipswich

----------------------

7. Crystal Palace

8. Bristol City