IGNORED

Hull Or Stoke ?

andy g

I hope neither of these sides do a "Derby" next season, but you have to fear for them both. With the exception of one or two players like Fuller and Campbell, there are very few players of Premier League quality in their squads, so they're going to have to pull off some great signings in the summer.

Of course, they might still surprise us - so, based on their players, their managers and their spending power, do you think either can avoid relegation and set themselves up in the Premier League ?

Or are they both doomed to come straight back down ?

Add WBA to that list.

They had some outstanding players at CCC level but the Prem's a different kettle of fish.

All three will need luck with injuries and to spend BIG... and on the right players.

Looks at the odds on Brown & Pulis being in their jobs by Xmas.

Sunderland just made it and they spent £17m on two players!

About £40m in total plus wages and they didn't pull up any trees.

As the song goes "It's a whole new world!"

I hope neither of these sides do a "Derby" next season, but you have to fear for them both. With the exception of one or two players like Fuller and Campbell, there are very few players of Premier League quality in their squads, so they're going to have to pull off some great signings in the summer.

Of course, they might still surprise us - so, based on their players, their managers and their spending power, do you think either can avoid relegation and set themselves up in the Premier League ?

Or are they both doomed to come straight back down ?

Stoke and Hull will come back down.

WBA - Good Squad with some experienced players with one or two quality additions I expect them to stay up, basically not because they are so good, but because I think one of Wigan/Bolton/Fulham to go down

Stoke and Hull are doomed already. Both of them are absolute shitholes of the highest order to attract any decent players and they simply don't have enough to survive with what they've got at the moment.

Stoke have a better chance than Hull though as they're more defence orientated and may prove harder to break down but if a poor Newcastle side could run through them like they did in the cup then they've got no chance.

West Brom will be fine though. They've got a great footballing squad and I fully expect them to beat sides like Bolton, Fulham, Boro or Sunderland in the mini-league at the bottom. Think they won't have many problems.

Tin,

a shithole my city might be, but at least I have the grace to actually pay for my train fare to matches. I've read your threads earlier and find your childish 'look at me, I didn't pay' act pathetic.

I'll take abuse of my city off those who aren't morally bankrupt (or simply tight) and have a bit of class and nous, cheers.

Thought BCFC played pretty well on Saturday - very tight game and could have gone either way. Bristol is a great city and I wish you lot all the best next season. I presume Tin will be bunking under turnstiles for free?

One of the 3 teams will stay up. As to who it is I have no idea. As for being dumps doesnt make any difference, have you ever been to Blackburn, Bolton, Sunderland or even Middlesbrough? These teams seem to be able to survive and are even bigger wholes than Stoke and Hull.

Both Stoke and Hull will probably come back down but it isn't the foregone conclusion the lazy national press would have you believe. After all you only have to be the fourth worst team.

I think Hull have the better chance because they play a better brand of football, clubs that play very direct and physical games like Stoke rarely prosper at the top level.

I'll be keeping my eye on all 3 teams next season, particulary Hull and Stoke, I genuinely hope they stay up and prove the doubters wrong.

Talk of "They'll do a Derby", "They'll come straight back down", "They'll set a new record for lowest points tally", blah, blah blah... really does annoy me.

A lot of these people who come out with these comments are pretentious individuals who've probably never seen Stoke or Hull play.

I'll make my prediction just before the start of the season having seen who they've brought in!!

Tin,

a shithole my city might be, but at least I have the grace to actually pay for my train fare to matches. I've read your threads earlier and find your childish 'look at me, I didn't pay' act pathetic.

I'll take abuse of my city off those who aren't morally bankrupt (or simply tight) and have a bit of class and nous, cheers.

Thought BCFC played pretty well on Saturday - very tight game and could have gone either way. Bristol is a great city and I wish you lot all the best next season. I presume Tin will be bunking under turnstiles for free?

Haha, cheers for that! Glad it brightened someone's day on a gloomy, dreary day like today. You know nothing about me to make a judgement and until then I'd keep your snide comments to yourself and sod off this forum. Ta ta

I probably know as much about you as you do about Stoke-on-Trent, youth. It's people that make a city, not architecture etc. On that score, we're pretty high up the league table.

<cue witty reposte re Stoke-on-Trent and/or Stoke's nutters>.

I like this forum - some cracking posters and the odd plum. My philosophy is that you should speak to and about people how you'd like to be spoken to.

Tin,

Personally i hope Stoke and Hull stay up, it'll be tough but i may even take some notice of the Premier League with two different sides in the league, the bookies made us favourites to go down this season and even some City fans were saying they'd be happy to finish 4th from bottom, how wrong can some people be. Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Personally i hope Stoke and Hull stay up, it'll be tough but i may even take some notice of the Premier League with two different sides in the league, the bookies made us favourites to go down this season and even some City fans were saying they'd be happy to finish 4th from bottom, how wrong can some people be. Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Completely agree. Stoke is a sh1thole, but I spend a fair bit of time in Stoke, and on the whole they're a good bunch of people. I really hope both Stoke & Hull stay up, if only to shut up the national media who are already convinced they'll both come straight back down. I've always seen Stoke as a similar size club to us, so good luck to them. I just wish they didn't have the evil Pulis in charge.

I think WBA will stay up, Stoke and Hull will come back down......UNLESS they spend the £40m they have been given for promotion. Hull are not a great team currently and have not really got a Premier League player in their ranks.

Stoke have good players but need to add to it. Fuller is a good player and as are others, but not many.

WBA have a very good Championship squad and some will cut the Premier League, but will need to spend a fair few million adding to it, but not as much as the other two.

It is going to be very interesting watching them, and I wish them all well, as I'm sure some of them will wish us well, but by god, it will be a struggle for two of them, if not all.

MM

It would be nice if they all stayed up. Hull and stoke would be my choice of the three to stay up, although West Brom were the best in this division I actually think they will do worse next season, there style of play will leave them far to open at the back against the Prem sides you only had to watch the cup semis against Pompey to realise how good you have to be, Pompey didnt even play that well yet still beat them.

It will be hard for Stoke and Hull to attract players as both cities are dumps.

Of the two I think Hull have a better chance as they play decent football, have a rock solid defence and have the experience of Phil Brown over Pulis.

I would expect both to go down though.

People saying Bolton and Fulham will struggle? Not given the success of their managers last season.

Nothing against Hull, but the truth is like us they don't have one player who is definitely good enough (Campbell isn't theirs), they won't "do a Derby" but I can't see anyway they'll finish above 3 other sides and Stoke won't be much better.

the state of the city's doesnt have alot to do with weather or not any of the teams will stay up. players live in the 'posh' out of town villages which hull has plenty to the west of the city(i don't know about stoke)the problem will be attracting Premier League players that want to play for the club and not just the money. here are my views on the 3 promoted clubs

WBA- need to spend heavily in defense. they play far to open football not to be punished in the Premier League

Stoke city- long ball has worked in the Premier League(bolton)and i reckon will get a few good wins in the first few weeks before being found out

Hull city- we have 2 very good defenders in sam ricketts and michael turner. need a centre back as i don't think wayne brown has enough pace to be succesful at.

i think fraizer will stay, most proberbly on loan. need another striker and a winger.

i think that the standard of the bottom 6 of the Premier League and the top of the championsip is smaller than people think. after that they are just too good to realistically break into in the first few seasons if not relegated.

i think 2 out of 3 will go down, proberbly us and stoke but you never know.

no one will do a derby for a fair few years.they went up with massive debts and didnt really spend money till january

i think that the standard of the bottom 6 of the Premier League and the top of the championsip is smaller than people think. after that they are just too good to realistically break into in the first few seasons if not relegated.

i think 2 out of 3 will go down, proberbly us and stoke but you never know.

no one will do a derby for a fair few years.they went up with massive debts and didnt really spend money till january

Hull actually lost more games this season than any other team in the top 6.

Looking at the last 4 sides to get promoted to the Prem from the playoffs you have - Palace, West Ham, Watford and Derby. Three out of those four went down and the last two Watford and Derby in spectaculor fashion. West Ham already had the infrastructure and money to spend.

I would therefore suggest that the gap is widening between the lower Prem and C'ship. Deby and Brum down this season and only S'land staying up by spending £30 mill would support this theory.

If you stay up it'll be up there with Bradford's achievement, maybe even more impressive.

Good luck though

have you ever been to Blackburn, Bolton, Sunderland or even Middlesbrough?

Middlesbrough is a combination of Avonmouth Chemical works and a town that is trying to find itself from years of destruction of industry. Infact it has some pretty good bars/restaurants, a council that actually pumps money into developments like MIMA and a decent music festival. Not like the embarressing shambles which is Bristol City council. Most of the players live in Yarm which is a posh market town.

Cant believe I'm defending the Middlesbrough!! Ive spent too long up here.

Hull City to definately go down.

One of the 3 teams will stay up. As to who it is I have no idea. As for being dumps doesnt make any difference, have you ever been to Blackburn, Bolton, Sunderland or even Middlesbrough? These teams seem to be able to survive and are even bigger wholes than Stoke and Hull.

Yea, but these clubs have a tone of cash and the ability to fork out for massive wage fees, Hull and Stoke will not be able to do that lest risk doing a Gretna. Bristol is a nice place surrounded by the countryside only hour from a good beaches, 2 hours from london - Anywhere in the south is generally a nice place to live. Most place North is a housing/industrial estate.

Bristol city would have a chance of luring players over cause of the nice surroundings/areas - has anyone seen Hull - it couldn't get much worse if hit by a nuke.

I think Hull will be lucky to get a single point next year. Their only hope to get any points is beating WBA and Stoke.

Most place North is a housing/industrial estate.

Cant fault you on your generalisation.

Harbour Trading Estate Portishead, Brislington Trading estate, South Liberty Lane Industrial estate. Yate, Some cracking House stroke industrial estates, and these are just down South. Just wait till you ever decide to travel up North to say Malvern. :noexpression:

Archived