IGNORED

Next Seasons Expectations?

Guest DanC

Guest DanC

So now that we have all come to terms with our defeat on Saturday and the dust has settled our attentions are now turning to next season.

The Championship on paper looks more difficult than this season but on paper last season it also looked difficult.

This season most would have been happy with a 21st place finish. Were we a one season wonder? Do you think we can repeat this seasons achievements? Or do you think we can go one better and win auto promotion? Or would you be happy for a mid table finish?

I feel with a couple of quality signings we can do it. The pain of losing on Saturday will spur the players on I feel and it also looks as if Steve Lansdown wants us to go all out for promotion. Two Strikers have left so I expect two more to be brought in and possibly a third depending on Steve Brooker. A right midfielder is a must although I'm not writing Sproule off yet. We will need another CB now Vasko has gone home and I think we already have one lined up otherwise GJ wouldn't have let Vasko go. And I have a concern over Mccallister and his discipline which has cost us on a few occasions.

realistically we have to look to build on what we have.

Need to realise we won alot of games by the odd goal, many of those wins could eaily become draws if we don't start scoring more.

Id be over-joyed if we reach the playoffs again, but will be happy if we compete around mid table.

I don't see the league being any more difficult next season than it was this so i would be looking to make the playoffs and with some luck be in and around the automatic places come March/April. :fingerscrossed:

A lot will depend on how the players react to Saturday and what players we bring in and if any go.

Anything below 12th will be a disappointment for me.

All depends on who teams sign/let go during the close season really but based on squads at the moment my ROUGH predictions are-

Going for Top 2-

Birmingham City, Reading, Sheffield United

Challenging for Play Offs-

Charlton Athletic, Crystal Palace, Derby County, Ipswich Town, Nottingham Forest,

Queens Park Rangers, Wolverhampton Wanderers

Mid Table-

BRISTOL CITY, Cardiff City, Doncaster Rovers, Norwich City, Plymouth Argyle, Preston North End, Swansea City, Watford

Relegation fight-

Barnsley, Blackpool, Burnley, Coventry City, Sheffield Wednesday, Southampton

All this could change with 3 or 4 EXCITING players brought in......

BCAGFC

Top half would be good.

West Brom aside, a lot of clubs suffer from the notorious second season syndrome. All i want to do is establish ourselves as a decent Championship side (an equivalent of where we were in division 3). This isn't to say i don't think we're good enough to achieve more, i just think it's a realistic starting point.

Assuming we'll improve over the summer, the aim should be top 6 again.

I don't really like the word 'expectation' as it puts pointless pressure on a team who'll be trying their best anyway.

We haven't over-achieved this season; we finished top 6 because we were one of the best teams in the division.

Therefore, that has to be the aim next season as well. And that's actually really exciting considering where we've come from.

Archived