Silly Season

Hicksy-BCFC

Ok so silly season is upon us.

I hope everyone is ready now for us to be signing

1) Cristiano Ronaldo

2) Rio Ferdinand

3) John Terry

4) All of the above

There will be people signing from sources of mate's mate's brother's next door neighbour's mate who heard a bloke down the pub say. Everyone from Ronaldinho to the bloke up front for Fishponds Old boys.

For my take on where we are -

We've released pretty much who I thought we would release (although I am slightly pleasantly surprised Keogh avoided the cut, thought he'd burnt his chips here) and that Gary realises that with all the heart in the world the big fella Enoch is not going to get us back up among the play offs in the CCC.

Byfield had one game and two bad games. You could argue he didn't get a real run in the side but the times I saw him he was poor. Great finishes at home to Burnley but against Plymouth home I think, he was very poor and this happened too often.

Next year it will be that bit harder and we can't afford passengers.

Ivan Sproule I reckon has a quarter of a season to pull it back together but he is well worth giving a shot.

Lee Trundle has to prove that his form at the tail end of the season wasn't a flash in the pan and that he really did take nigh on 3/4 of a season to settle. If he did then great, we may have the Trundle we thought we had bought this time last year.

The back four are terrific and need to be kept together. Someone like Vasko needs to come in for support to the back 4. Seemed a little haphazard when we lost Bradley Orr seeing Marv Elliott moved to right back for the first time in the season and in the most important game of our lives. I'd like us to have a little more cover than just Brian Wilson.

On the subject of Bradley and I know for a mate at AG that the scouse fella reads this messageboard. I thought he has had a fantastic season capped by being named in the team of the season for this league. I have criticised him in the past for his distribution but he has been a solid member of a back 4 that got us to the brink of the Premier League. I hope he gets better and better. All along I have said there is no player who gives more on a football field.

Basso - nothing to say that everyone doesn't know. Bristol's number two??? That died a death didn't it.....

Bringing people in - we need 2 striker I think. Our performance, Johnson's growing reputation and Lansdown's cash should work to bring in what I would call a player of finishing ability suited to this level. I don't think a shout for Kevin Phillips is unreasonable (unless someone knows otherwise). Someone like that who is proven.

Overall we have had a fantastic season and ignore all this schite about Colchester. They had a little ground, sold their best players and then unsurprisingly went down. We're selling nobody we don't want to, have a much bigger ground and fanbase and should be strengthening.

Anyone else who suggests otherwise is probably deluded or jealous.

We have had a great season. We are a big club, with the potential to become much bigger, a new stadium, a terrific manager and a lot to look forward to.

Once again Bristol has ONE club to support and its the right one.

Onwards and upwards my friends. Bring on the welsh twiceover, the Brummies and Warnock once again!

In the meantime strap yourselves in for silly season....

PS - I heard we might be signing Rooney :noexpression:

Go along with that Hicksy.

Think it's obvious that 2 strikers will be coming in with Byfield and Enoch going - one has to be an out and out sniffer though. Someone with a track record of 15-20 goals a season at this level, and that isn't going to be cheap. Still, got complete faith in GJ, and know that SL will back his man.

Interesting point about Brad reading the forum - if he does, and he comes across this then I just want to say fair shout to the fella. What a season, and the general reaction in the pub when was went down on Saturday shows exactly how highly he is regarded by us fans. The guy is a winner and I'm glad he's a s*ithead!

Was at the girlfriends last night, having a quiet smoke outside mulling Saturday over (again!) and the thought about GJ leaving hit me. I've just got a nasty feeling he's going to quit. Hope I'm wrong, don't know why I'm thinking it - just got a sinking feeling. I hope this post is thrown back at me in August when the season kicks off - but need to share my pain with you all!

Archived