IGNORED

Wages

jhowie11

My Friend was talking to GJ on a plane some time this season, asking question which GJ was answering honestly and openly. When he asked who earned the most, GJ said he wouldn't say, but would say that there was a wage cap of £5k a week. (and had we got promoted, it would have been lifted to £15k).

One, I thought some players would be on more than that, so if this is true well done GJ!

Two, Would this be a barrier to signing some top players this season? Although GJ has proved he doesn't need big name players to achieve, surely there can only be a limit to the quality of player he can sign for this? Especially in this day and age of greedy footballers :dunno:

There are players at the club on more than 5k a week. The likes of Trundle, McIdnoe, Adebola and Carle are the top earners at the club and all on more than 5k, I'm sure there is likely to be others as well.

When Johnson came here there was actually a player on more than 5k per week.

I thought that too. If not more than one.

I was surprised when I heard this, but when you think about the sort of manager GJ is and the way he manages, the type of players he looks to sign, I can believe this. or at least believe most are under this

Apparently, Carle is on the largest weekly wage, rumoured to be around £8k per week.

Trundle, Sproule and McIndoe will all have contracts around the £5k-£7k mark, as does Louis after we got promoted.

I don't think wages are an issue, but we wont be after the money merchants like the Fowlers and Hasselbianks of this world!

We're never going to know for sure what individual players earn but I'd be amazed if there was an actual wage cap. I'm sure they look at it case by case and I'm certain that there are a couple of players earning more than that right now. Are you sure your mate isn't pulling your leg? I doubt GJ would discuss finances with a random fan on a plane.

Our footballing wage bill for this season is £6m, clubs like Charlton, Watford and WBA were all paying out well over £10m - so yes we will find it harder to compete for the bigger names. That's fine by me, I don't want big name signings and I don't want us spending recklessly.

I would be suprised if there were no players at a club who finished 4th in the Championship who were earning over 5k a week. To an extent in this league it doesnt really matter I don't think, because no-one doubts Johnsons ability to find a player from no where, but in the Premier League, I think you would find it hard to compete if you were not prepared to pay a substantial amount in wages.

Archived