IGNORED

Play Off Finals

I don't normally think the English game could learn from the European game, but I was impressed when in the Champions League final, in much the same vein as Rugby Union, Chelsea were applauded off the pitch before collecting their runners-up medals.

It was a more sporting end to a major competition for the winning team to break off from their celebrations and give due recognition to their opponents.

How much more dignified it would have been last Saturday if, rather than just wallowing in their own celebrations, Hull were obliged to form a tunnel to formally applaud City first (perhaps for City to even have received runner-up medals?).

While we were cut up about the result, I still wanted a way to clap the team's efforts on the day - and at the bitter end of an amazing season. As it was, they opted to stay on the pitch and take the applause of those fans still in the stadium, but it was against the backdrop of the Hull team's celebrations at the other end.

Thinking about it, I'm surprised it's not already part of our game. FA Cup Finals would be the better for it.

I don't normally think the English game could learn from the European game, but I was impressed when in the Champions League final, in much the same vein as Rugby Union, Chelsea were applauded off the pitch before collecting their runners-up medals.

It was a more sporting end to a major competition for the winning team to break off from their celebrations and give due recognition to their opponents.

How much more dignified it would have been last Saturday if, rather than just wallowing in their own celebrations, Hull were obliged to form a tunnel to formally applaud City first (perhaps for City to even have received runner-up medals?).

While we were cut up about the result, I still wanted a way to clap the team's efforts on the day - and at the bitter end of an amazing season. As it was, they opted to stay on the pitch and take the applause of those fans still in the stadium, but it was against the backdrop of the Hull team's celebrations at the other end.

Thinking about it, I'm surprised it's not already part of our game. FA Cup Finals would be the better for it.

Excellent point Mrs.Miggins. :clap:

There was a mutual respect between the 2 sets of fans, players, and club's as a whole on the day and I've no doubt the Hull fans would have joined us in a rousing ovation for the plucky City losers - they knew it could have gone either way.

Bringing it in for the F.A. Cup Final may be more difficult due to the media stranglehold on the game. No sooner has the final whistle gone and the winners are bouncing around and the losers are slumped on the ground the interviewers have charged onto the pitch to get immediate emotional reactions.

This season I think it was Ray Stubbs, hand on belly, repeatedly asking Sol/David/Jimmy etc, what emotions were going through their heads "at this moment".

The puffing, sweaty winners, or losers, were of course either over the moon, or gutted, and after shouting nothing of consequence, almost inaudible anyway against a background of tumultuous crowd noise and cacophonous music, are requested to either join their team mates for the celebrations or commiserated with and pointed in the direction of the crestfallen, tearful losers spread out lying on the pitch or with their knees drawn up to their faces.

If it's not Ray Stubbs it's Garth Crooks, eyes bulging with concerned sincerity :noexpression: , and there are plenty of others.

While the media persist in thinking the fans need this immediate emotional reaction your idea is a non starter, unfortunately, although it would indeed be a far more dignified end to the big occasions.

As gutted as I was at the end of the game, there was something about going down the steps to the pitchside to applaud our boys with a backdrop of Hull fans that made me want to see City succeed and Hull fail miserably next season...having said that, you've got to be in the places to finish with a medal, we were fourth in the league and lost the final.

As gutted as I was at the end of the game, there was something about going down the steps to the pitchside to applaud our boys with a backdrop of Hull fans that made me want to see City succeed and Hull fail miserably next season...having said that, you've got to be in the places to finish with a medal, we were fourth in the league and lost the final.

Agreed, it's not about getting a medal - after all we finished 4th - it's about a 'sporting' finish where the victors (ie Hull) and their fans get to pay their respects to the vanquished. I couldn't think of any other reason to climb the Wembley steps other than to pick up a medal!

Hmmm. Thinks. Maybe I'll mount a one-woman crusade to get the FA to introduce it!

Archived