IGNORED

If I Had A Few Million Floating Around.....

eastbristolredun

To be fair, I think we are very lucky to have SL. Great chairman and obviously loves the reds. I can sleep easy at night knowing we have a club on Monday morning and a ground in progress........

But, if we were to go wild and have a £10m pot, what would you spend it on?

I would go for the following:

1 - Leroy Lita - £2m ( approx )

2- Ben Watson - £4m ( thats a wild guess )

3 -Steven Clemance - £2m ( approx )

4 - Steve Howard £2m (approx)

I know the values are a wild punt, but those 4 players would see us walk the title, Strength and pace with Leroy and Howard, Ben watson and Clemance would add something to the midfield, i fear Marv will be gone......

M

To be fair, I think we are very lucky to have SL. Great chairman and obviously loves the reds. I can sleep easy at night knowing we have a club on Monday morning and a ground in progress........

I know the values are a wild punt, but those 4 players would see us walk the title, Strength and pace with Leroy and Howard, Ben watson and Clemance would add something to the midfield, i fear Marv will be gone......

M

I would agree with 1 + 2, Ben Watson was outstanding in the PO semis(although Palace fans think he is more likely to be prem bound soon), not sure about 3 and definately not 4(if it is Steve Howard the Derby striker)

I would agree with 1 + 2, Ben Watson was outstanding in the PO semis(although Palace fans think he is more likely to be prem bound soon), not sure about 3 and definately not 4(if it is Steve Howard the Derby striker)

With all due respect to Dele, and I rate Dele..... But I think Steve is a more mobile and able striker doing the same job. I can see Leroy feeding of those knockdowns all day long.

Also imagine a team trying to mark us for a corner, we would have some big lads in the box.... Steve is great in the air.

With all due respect to Dele, and I rate Dele..... But I think Steve is a more mobile and able striker doing the same job. I can see Leroy feeding of those knockdowns all day long.

Also imagine a team trying to mark us for a corner, we would have some big lads in the box.... Steve is great in the air.

I think all of the points you make about Mr Howard are valid, but he isn't 1.75m better than Dele. He is slightly better at flick ons and holding the ball up, but then do you really want to encourage McCombe, Carey et al to play the long ball game?

I think all of the points you make about Mr Howard are valid, but he isn't 1.75m better than Dele. He is slightly better at flick ons and holding the ball up, but then do you really want to encourage McCombe, Carey et al to play the long ball game?

I may have to conceed defeat, thats a fair point. I just remember Steve scoring everytime he played against us. The only thing against Dele is lack of pace, yes he is as strong as an ox, but Steve would be far more rapid accross the deck.

Anyway, its wait and see time. But I think Steve would put 20 away for us if he came

M

Bolton are interested in Ben Watson I believe

Now there's a shout. He's a class player at this level and with proven experience in the Prem as well. There's no way he'd cost as much as £2m though given the wage he'll be on and Leicester cutting the cloth accordingly to fit the status they're at. I reckon £500k would be enough to secure him.

I'd rather have Watson though. He also wouldn't cost as much as £4m because he's out of contract next season. Palace are thought to be weighing up a £1.25m bid from QPR for his services instead of letting him run down his contract and leave for next to nothing this time next year. Any outlay on him would be at least doubled IMHO.

do you really want to encourage McCombe, Carey et al to play the long ball game?

That's all McCombe does anyway since we signed Adebola. Would much prefer Fontaine and Carey starting at the back.

Back on subject, Howard would be an excellent target man but would that make too many? Adebola, Brooker (if fit), someone with pace is a must. Watson is also a good shout but not for £4m, if we are spending that kind of money get 2 decent forwards in. Oh, and don't let him take the penalties.

• Admin

Firstly if I had £10m I wanted to spend on City I wouldn't dictate to GJ who I was gonna buy as that'd be sure to pee him off.

But ignoring that caveat for the purpose of this thread, I'd go for:

Lita £2m (including our 20-25% discount, great value there!)

Kaspars Gorkks £250k (better than McCombe and chips in with goals too, also great value with his release fee clause)

Kevin Phillips Free (West Brom's top goalscorer and he's available for free, I still like getting good value)

Dean Lewington £500k (Good attacking left back to compete with Macca)

Tibor Tisza £750k (Young Striker/Right sided Midfielder with decent potential and a great free-kick)

The rest of the money I'd allocate to creating the wage packages and signing on fees to ensure the above joined us.

Is Bas Savage still available? :o

Archived