IGNORED

Ribeiro (merged Again...and Again!)

bcfcas1

my initial thought was that we could let vasko go, and bring ribeiro in to take his place in the squad. well Vasko has gone, but we will have to wait and see what happens next, but the next step for ribeiro has to be a regular sub appearance, and the occasional start, in league cup games, or when there are any suspensions or injuries.

Just to add, for the Academy to work for Bristol City as well as the young players, then any bids of 500k. have to be rejected out of hand.

If a Premier League manager feels that a BCFC youngster is worth a bid, meaning that he sees him as someone who can actively challenge for a first team place within a couple of years, then City have to ensure we are compensated accordingly.

To me this means paying an absolute minimum of 1m., with plenty of add ons taking the final total to at least 3x that figure.

With the money floating around in the PL and the amounts that are regularly paid out for far older players even this may be undervaluing potentially future international players.

At that age it's a gamble for all club's involved but a gamble PL club's can easily afford and City must at least make them pay to the hilt for the potential they see.

Agreed, I think the gulf in money between Premier League teams and even top Championship teams is incomprehensible, they, bizarrely, have the law on their side too, unfortunately. the current tribunal system for youngsters under 23 needs to change if this country is serious about producing a better crop of youngsters.

Any Premier League team whether we like it of not can pick and choose our best youngsters at their leisure, its sickening. The Sags got mugged by Chelsea for Sinclair, 250k was it? Maybe their best youngster for 10 yrs and he goes for the price of a 3 bed in Clifton :disapointed2se:

More needs to come from the players too, and of course the agents, but agents will corrupt the kids heads from the age of 16 putting emphasis on money rather than playing the game, this is why we have a wealth of quality English players in Premier League U18's and reserves rotting away hoping that 7 first team players get injured so they can make the bench, never given the chance of regular football and will never progress to their potential, unless of course you're Rooney and Rolando.

With excessive money comes greed, and football and money don't mix, sounds weird, but its true.

The FA is incompetent in dealing with this, their archaic way of thinking is going to kill the English game, the FA needs to be dissolved and reformed, its a disgusting and stagnant cesspit of corruption and skulduggery, it still stinks of that putrid cockroach David Deane, serious decontamination is required.

Did anyone see a second article in today's Daily Mirror?

Stated that Everton had made a firm bid of £750k. An increase on Saturday's posting.

No news coming from the club as yet. Even if true personally can't see City wanting to sell, unless the funds would be helpful in seciring some the new strikers.

Did anyone see a second article in today's Daily Mirror?

Stated that Everton had made a firm bid of £750k. An increase on Saturday's posting.

No news coming from the club as yet. Even if true personally can't see City wanting to sell, unless the funds would be helpful in seciring some the new strikers.

if we can get 750,000 plus a decent sell on clause he'll be gone.

if we can get 750,000 plus a decent sell on clause he'll be gone.

I'd rather get that for Bradley Orr and play Ribeiro. I'm getting sick of these youngsters being built up as the next big thing and not getting a chance with us. If you're good enough, you're old enough in my eyes.

I'd rather get that for Bradley Orr and play Ribeiro. I'm getting sick of these youngsters being built up as the next big thing and not getting a chance with us. If you're good enough, you're old enough in my eyes.

Bang on. Although I can't see Bradders playing for Everton. :blink:

More needs to come from the players too, and of course the agents, but agents will corrupt the kids heads from the age of 16 putting emphasis on money rather than playing the game, this is why we have a wealth of quality English players in Premier League U18's and reserves rotting away hoping that 7 first team players get injured so they can make the bench, never given the chance of regular football and will never progress to their potential, unless of course you're Rooney and Rolando.

Interesting and correct observation. But it that not the same situation we find at our club. Younger players needing 7 first team injuries before getting a chance of making the bench. IE No opportunaities for any of them.

Found some more interesting comments from GJ today.

Johnson said: "He's 100% here, he's worked very hard, is very close to the first team, and has every chance of being in it next season.

"He's waited patiently and now he'll look to have a good pre-season."

"Everything is speculation with everybody at the moment. I know David Moyes very well and he would have spoken to me."

Ribeiro has represented Wales at under-17, under-19 and under-21 level, and signed his first professional contract with Bristol City in December 2006 after coming through the youth system at the club.

City boss Johnson admitted he's not surprised that there have been rumours regarding his future, and believes that if an offer did come, Ribeiro would be able resist the lure of the Premier League.

He said: "He deserves the interest, I would be if I was outside of the club, but he has to knuckle down, and he knows it is the club for him.

"He understands his lot here, he knows he was close to playing last year if it wasn't for illness and a knock at the wrong time.

"You need to get first team games very quickly and Bristol City are the ones to give him that."

Source Glos Gazette.

My sons best mates sister is "going out" with the lad (long winded i know!) and alot of the lads he is doing his A levels with at Marling speak to him alot and are always saying that he he has no intentions of leaving Bristol City YET the lad is very level headed and grateful to the club for what they've done / and are doing for him , i've spoken to him a few times myself and he's a genuinely nice lad .. i'd rather believe them than the local papers round here who have nothing else to write about ..i think this story is a load of rubbish personally

:city:

the greatest link at the moment between the two clubs is former city manager and academy director and now everton first team scout Tony Fawthrop who was in charge when Ribeiro was a up and coming youngster ,Ribeiro is a great player with huge future ahead of him wouldnt it be a shame to have invested so much into him and then let him go whats the point ,hes are best pro at the academy by miles no one is close to him including plummer ,artus etc watched him a few times at the reserve games but was most impressed when he made his debut for wales u21 he was excellent looked liked he had been playing there all his life plays very similar to rio ferdinand, hope we can hang on to him as i belive he will be a great asset to the club

u redzz

has anyone read this ?

The player was memorably red carded in a victory shield game against Scotland and subsequently served a 12 month suspension for biting off the ear of an opposing player after they became entangled following a robust challenge.

:laugh:

As I said - who would you leave out to give a teenager his debut when we are chasing for promotion ?

Your point highlights one of the key issue at the club for Ribeiro and any of the younger pro's.

Our club is on the up, as such we will always be pushing to succeed . IE expect / want to be able to win every game. This is a good thing for players, fans and club, and because of our new found winning mentality, we should always be pushing for promotion.

However, if the club is serious about keeping and developing t's best young prospects, then it needs to find a way of weaving them into 1st team squad selection. Of course, loans are also an option, but inclusion in the 1st team squad also needs achieved.

Obviuosly not an easy problem to solve, but is seems to be one that any club with a large squad must manage. Simply waiting for a situation where there is nothing to play for before selecting youth, surely means that any young player's opportunity to be involved, will be limited or even non existant over the coming season .

As we progress and grow as a club, I hope we find a way of achieving this balance and hence regain our reputaion as a good club for good young players to thrive and become valued players.

It would be wonderful if we were able to continue to achieve our success on the field, with a growing number of home grown players being involved. Just my "rose tinted" opinion on what a successful future for City could look like. Just needs a little more commitment and inventiveness to bring our best young players through and into the squad.

Archived