IGNORED

City Foundation

phantom

• Admin

The official website is running a story today saying that there has been no £500 weekly winner on the City Foundation draw.

I was wondering how someone actually wins this amount - I thought that each week numerous £10 prizes were awarded, and I would have "assumed" that a name would have been pulled out each week to determine the "big" winner ??

Any idea's ?

Each foundation member has a four digit number and I assume a computer randomly generates a four digit number which either equates to a foundation membership number or it rolls over.

If that's true - WHY?

It's not difficult to ensure that the number generated belongs to the subset of numbers that is held by the membership.

I'm a City Foundation member and I wasn't aware of this.

According to the blurb:

"For just £2.20 per week you will receive numerous exclusive benefits and a membership card bearing your exclusive draw numbers.

These numbers will be entered into all of the following draws: an annual jackpot draw for £25,000, weekly rollover cash draws and a number of exclusive city foundation draws for unique Bristol City experiences".

This is a contradiction. If only the active membership numbers are entered into the draw, there cannot possibly be a rollover. The blurb IMPLIES that only active membership numbers are entered, when in fact it appears that ANY number can be generated.

This drastically changes your chances of winning. On my membership card there are 10 "lucky numbers" consisting of an alpha and 4 numerics.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, the membership is 5,000. That means there are 50,000 (5,000x10) active "lucky numbers". Now, assuming the use of all letters in the alphabet, there are 26x10,000 possibilities, or 260,000 possible combinations of "lucky numbers".

If only the active "lucky numbers" were entered into the draw, each member would have a 10 in 5,000 chance or 499/1 odds of winning the £500 prize. However, if all possible combinations are entered, each member has 10 in 260,000 chance or 25,999/1 odds of winning - a vast difference, and probably the main reason the jackpot has rolled over seven times so far.

If that's true - WHY?

It's not difficult to ensure that the number generated belongs to the subset of numbers that is held by the membership.

I'm a City Foundation member and I wasn't aware of this.

According to the blurb:

"For just £2.20 per week you will receive numerous exclusive benefits and a membership card bearing your exclusive draw numbers.

These numbers will be entered into all of the following draws: an annual jackpot draw for £25,000, weekly rollover cash draws and a number of exclusive city foundation draws for unique Bristol City experiences".

This is a contradiction. If only the active membership numbers are entered into the draw, there cannot possibly be a rollover. The blurb IMPLIES that only active membership numbers are entered, when in fact it appears that ANY number can be generated.

This drastically changes your chances of winning. On my membership card there are 10 "lucky numbers" consisting of an alpha and 4 numerics.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, the membership is 5,000. That means there are 50,000 (5,000x10) active "lucky numbers". Now, assuming the use of all letters in the alphabet, there are 26x10,000 possibilities, or 260,000 possible combinations of "lucky numbers".

If only the active "lucky numbers" were entered into the draw, each member would have a 10 in 5,000 chance or 499/1 odds of winning the £500 prize. However, if all possible combinations are entered, each member has 10 in 260,000 chance or 25,999/1 odds of winning - a vast difference, and probably the main reason the jackpot has rolled over seven times so far.

disagree - it refers to you receiving "numberS" as a foundation member, and these (ie, yours) numberS are entered into a draw

disagree - it refers to you receiving "numberS" as a foundation member, and these (ie, yours) numberS are entered into a draw

I am Secretary of City Foundation.

The Rollover draw can only be won by current members, as such all current members have an equal chance on winning. However all the numbers are included. If when we do the draw a number comes up that is unallocated or is someone who was previously in the draw but has not maintained their subsciption then the prize rolls over. We will of course advise the person what they have missed out on!! The weekly £10 draws are limited to current members only and so are distributed each week. The Rollover is aimed to add extra interest and possibly substantial prizes. £4,000 for a weekly draw sounds pretty good to me.

I know this has nothing to do with the post but i was just had a phone call from city foundation asking if i wanted to sign up, thought it seemed a bit strange to be phoned as i thought things like the foundation were sent through the post has any one else been phoned recently??

I know this has nothing to do with the post but i was just had a phone call from city foundation asking if i wanted to sign up, thought it seemed a bit strange to be phoned as i thought things like the foundation were sent through the post has any one else been phoned recently??

Yup theyve rung me 4 times in the last 2 weeks, and ive said the same thing everytime, thanks but no thanks.

The Rollover draw can only be won by current members, as such all current members have an equal chance on winning. However all the numbers are included. If when we do the draw a number comes up that is unallocated or is someone who was previously in the draw but has not maintained their subsciption then the prize rolls over. We will of course advise the person what they have missed out on!! The weekly £10 draws are limited to current members only and so are distributed each week. The Rollover is aimed to add extra interest and possibly substantial prizes. £4,000 for a weekly draw sounds pretty good to me.

Are the number of Foundation members limited to 2000? Current membership circa 1700? therefore chance of roll over is 300/2000?

Is this how it works?

I had a call this evening , must have been a guy from NORTH Bristol....

It went something like ..." Why-eye pet, the youse wanna be a good gadgee and gang along an join the City Foundation ,like?"

Either that or they've hired a north east call centre.

I think the call centre is well outside Bristol. The number that came up on my phone when they called was a code I did not recognise, so it threw me a bit when they said it's Bristol City Football Club.

Clearly the job has been farmed out much like the Ticketmaster thing. It must be worth their while to keep badgering because by all accounts loads of people are getting these calls.

Are the number of Foundation members limited to 2000? Current membership circa 1700? therefore chance of roll over is 300/2000?

Is this how it works?

To echo Geoff65's comment, is what he says correct?

I was under the impression that any 'lottery' must publish the actual chances of winning by law - is this correct? - and if so, what are the actual chances of winning the weekly draw for a current member?

Besides, I - for one - would prefer it to be won every week, rather than roll over.

Besides, I - for one - would prefer it to be won every week, rather than roll over.

I'm not a member and now am less likely to consider it. I would rather have a slim chance of winning £500 weekly than the prize not being issued for 8 weeks resulting in a £4000 pot (I think this is how it seems to work, apologies if I have misunderstood).

• Admin

Many Thanks to all those who has replied - I myself was under the "impression" that only current foundation members would be entered into a weekly draw this was why I could not understand the "rollover" element - I was curious / concerned if I was supposed to checking to see if my numbers were ever drawn out. . . .

I got called last summer. Guy got quite shirty when I declined. :disapointed2se:

Archived