IGNORED

Just Read This.......

ooRya

....on "BBC 606".

A couple of new names for the pot.

I have read a report about who Bristol City are trying to sign. I don't know if this is one of the "unamed players" but here it is anyway -

Bristol City manager Gary Johnson is set to complete a move for Inverness Caledonian Thistle striker Marius Niculae who is currently at Euro 2008 with Romania, and Johnson has already matched the £400,000 buy out clause that Niculae has in his contract. And is also trying to persuade Birmingham manager Alex McLeish to part company with defender Liam Ridgewell, 23, who has fallen out of favour with some supporters but has remained determined to stay but the interest from Gary Johnson may change things and it is expected a bid in the region of £2 million is around what Birmingham would settle for.

Interesting couple of names we haven't heard before.

I don't know anything about Niculae but that's the sort of player I'd expect to see GJ looking at in terms of price and age.

Ridgewell is a very good defender and would definitely improve us but I'd be surprised that Brum would let him go because he will be quality at this level I think and he only signed for them last year for £2m. I'd also be fairly surprised to see us spending £2m on a defender when we need two strikers more and they're usually expensive. Not impossible though I guess.

Interesting couple of names we haven't heard before.

I don't know anything about Niculae but that's the sort of player I'd expect to see GJ looking at in terms of price and age.

Ridgewell is a very good defender and would definitely improve us but I'd be surprised that Brum would let him go because he will be quality at this level I think and he only signed for them last year for £2m. I'd also be fairly surprised to see us spending £2m on a defender when we need two strikers more and they're usually expensive. Not impossible though I guess.

i see what you mean about £2m on a defender but its cetainly somewhere we need to strengthen and if we want to push on from last season then thats the sort of money we got to be looking at.

all i know about Niculae is that on champ manager 2001/02 he was a world beater at sporting lisbon!

Sorry, being a bit lazy here :blush: What we looking at in terms of main strengths - pace, strength, poacher, all of these?

I dunno, just seems to fit as in the player, age, price etc and now EP say GJ is going over to Euro 2008 end of this week, which could be tomorrow, which is also when Romania play Italy in Zurich or has he alreay watched him in Scotland, just guess work. :dunno:

Does seem quite believable. Swear when he came on the other day he was a big lad though who didnt look that quick (looked like a target man). Must be fairly decent to play for Romania that many times tbh and 13 goals at international level shows he knows where the back of the net is (would imagine most his appearances are coming on as a sub aswell which makes his record even more impressive) at 400k sounds good buisness!

To be fair, he's playing for a struggling team at the wrong end of the SPL. His international stats are much better given the higher standard at that level.

Isnt playing for the greatest International team either!

As for other clubs, maybe Romania being in the "group of death" is a blessing in disguise, as we probably wont see the best of him, up against the likes of Puyol, so maybe other clubs wont take a gamble!

back to ridgewell...

lots of birmingham fans as mates...

they despise him for two main reasons

1. He played for aston villa

2. he scored an own goal in the villa blues game

seems to get alot of stick and if he's not Mcleish's favourite player he might do a mcindoe and move to a bigger club with better prosects :laugh:

Re the Ridgewell situation, defensively we were pretty sound bar a couple of blip games last season and as someone said, strikers tend to be more expensive and for a reason. Personally I'd hope we'd spend that much for the frontline with getting some good youth/backup defensively

People are saying £2m for a defender is a lot when we need a striker, which is true, however does anybody actually know how much SL has told GJ he has to spend though?

No I thought not, for all we know we could be spending £2m on Ridgewell, and then have another £5-6m to spend on a striker.

Unrealistic I know, but he did say he would spend...

It won't be that much unless he's planning a share issue and is putting another lot of cash in. It would make our debts exceed our assets. He's just not that reckless.

I am expecting us to spend something like £2-3m total on fees, there's the wage bill to consider as well.

People are saying £2m for a defender is a lot when we need a striker, which is true, however does anybody actually know how much SL has told GJ he has to spend though?

No I thought not, for all we know we could be spending £2m on Ridgewell, and then have another £5-6m to spend on a striker.

Unrealistic I know, but he did say he would spend...

I do ;)

I dunno, just seems to fit as in the player, age, price etc and now EP say GJ is going over to Euro 2008 end of this week, which could be tomorrow, which is also when Romania play Italy in Zurich or has he alreay watched him in Scotland, just guess work. :dunno:

Ah well he did not play today, Daniel Niculae did, don't know if a relation.

Archived