IGNORED

Blow The Wad Or Spread It About!

internetjef

ahem

from posts over last months it appears that the main areas people want to see improved are up front, right wing and a bit of cover at the back. With nearly everyone concluding that No1 absolute priority is striker with pace.

if it came down to a budget scenario where we had say 2-3mill to spend, would you wax the lot on that star striker, or spread it around a bit

i.e

Lita/Maynard signs for the lot but no one else major (promote ribeiro/keogh to cover at back and continiue with nobes/sproule on right wing)

or

bring in four more reasonable priced players to a total value of 2-3m (something like Garner,Niculae, Croft, Gorks)

please don't comment on the acyual; players as i know everyone has ther own opinion.

allthough i agree neither nobes/sproule is totally 1st class out on right wing, i think the priority for a 20 goal striker is so great that i would go for first option.

but how would you split the budget?

ahem

from posts over last months it appears that the main areas people want to see improved are up front, right wing and a bit of cover at the back. With nearly everyone concluding that No1 absolute priority is striker with pace.

if it came down to a budget scenario where we had say 2-3mill to spend, would you wax the lot on that star striker, or spread it around a bit

i.e

Lita/Maynard signs for the lot but no one else major (promote ribeiro/keogh to cover at back and continiue with nobes/sproule on right wing)

or

bring in four more reasonable priced players to a total value of 2-3m (something like Garner,Niculae, Croft, Gorks)

please don't comment on the acyual; players as i know everyone has ther own opinion.

allthough i agree neither nobes/sproule is totally 1st class out on right wing, i think the priority for a 20 goal striker is so great that i would go for first option.

but how would you split the budget?

Personally, if I was GJ. Most of any money available should be concentrated on a quality striker. Although not silly money i.e. 3-4 million.

I also don't think we really need that much else because the squad we have already is pretty good - demonstrated last season. I would however like to see a bit more cover at the back now we have sent Vasko back. Fontaine and McCombe are solid CB but someone who could cover their inevitable injuries would be a positive signing.

As for on the right, I think Noble did a good job there, albeit, not being a right winger. I believe Noble needs to be in the team somewhere, because IMO he holds the team together and can create things.

I know its easy to say but I think we should be looking at a striker in the region of £2 Mil (ish). Obviusly that has to be spent on quality (easier said than done) and not just blown on an average player with a "big name" but then again with Johnson that aint something to worry about. I think then we should make some more low profile signings like Johnson has done in the past (elliott, Carle) for the right of Midfield and maybe a defensive option?

Personally, if I was GJ. Most of any money available should be concentrated on a quality striker. Although not silly money i.e. 3-4 million.

I also don't think we really need that much else because the squad we have already is pretty good - demonstrated last season. I would however like to see a bit more cover at the back now we have sent Vasko back. Fontaine and McCombe are solid CB but someone who could cover their inevitable injuries would be a positive signing.

As for on the right, I think Noble did a good job there, albeit, not being a right winger. I believe Noble needs to be in the team somewhere, because IMO he holds the team together and can create things.

i agree too. although he hardly frightens fullbacks with chalk on his boots, nobes on the right does mean we keep the ball more. with that extra pace up front someone who can pick a quality through ball wil be a real plus. as long as we get an awesome striker id be ok if we kept with nobes/sproule on the right. also surely riberio has to be pretty handy by now and by promoting him it would add almost nothing to the wage budget, allowing up more money for the striker. however if the money is there for both id love to see a great striker and sionko on the right

Guest Eamer

Lita - £2mill

Niculae - £400k

Then the rest on a Winger who maybe plays both sides but preferably Right-Sided.

Give Plummer the chance as back-up to McIndoe

Give Ribeiro a chance

The thing about Nobes is that he does have an eye for goal, as we've seen from him in the past 2 seasons with some memorable goals! Hopefully he'll work well on his fitness this summer so that GJ can't leave him out

Hardly an eye for a goal 8 goals since he joined us, most seemed important goals but hardly prolific. Imho i don't think his fitness will ever improve and even if it does he's just too slow to comand a regular place in the first team.

I think getting the right quality of players is more important than how the money is split up over different transfers.

I'd prefer not to see us spend a big amount on a single player (big risk considering injuries) but if that's what it takes to get the quick striker we really need then we'll have to.

I'd be surprised to see GJ spend £2m on one player though because he and his brother have excelled at finding bargains. The sort of players we are apparently looking at (Tyson, Niculae) don't look like they'll have that price tag.

I also think that some people are over estimating what we'll spend. Last season SL said that a 15k average would pay the wage bill, in other words the £3m+ we spent on transfers would have been a loss. OK so we got a 16.2k average and made the playoffs - so we may have only lost half that. But given our debt I wouldn't necessarily expect to see the same outlay this time round, after all those players are still here.

Would i be correct in assuming that we are to get a huge wad of prem cash through the deal that was agreed last season i think as we finished 4th we are in for quite a windfall somewhere in the region of 3 mill ? as we were supposed to recieve just under 1 mil last year for finishing 2nd in lge 1 please correct me if i am wrong but this could go quite a way to paying for a new striker

All clubs get a flat payment of round about £1m from the Prem, but that money was accounted for already when SL said that a 15k gate average paid the wage bill.

so what did i see last season at the begining when it said that dependant on finishing places in the league clubs would recieve a sum of cash from the already wealthy premier league. I believe it was on bbc website

so what did i see last season at the begining when it said that dependant on finishing places in the league clubs would recieve a sum of cash from the already wealthy premier league. I believe it was on bbc website

I don't think it was dependent on places, all clubs got a flat payment as far as I knew.

Archived