IGNORED

Johnson Meeting

kachina

A good friend of mine who writes for the Daily Mail is out reporting on the Euro's at the moment and he was in a resturant on Friday afternoon.

On a table near him Gary Johnson and Craig Brewster (Inverness Fc) were having lunch and chatting.

He didn't say anything as if we were signing or they were signing and they could just be friends.

But given Johnson has looked in Scotland before and Inverness have a player playing the Euro's it may be Johnson was looking into one of their players.

As I said they could just be mates and all that, but just passing on what my friend saw.

Marius Niculae of Romania and Inverness Caledonian Thistle F.C.

DOB 16-May-1981

Born: Bucharest, Romania

Height 6'2

Weight 12st 8lbs

Position Forward

Starts: 35

Goals: 10

Sporting Lisbon: 2001-2005

Standard Liege: 2005-2006

Mainz: 2006-2007

BBC April 2008

Inverness Caley Thistle's major shareholder David Sutherland has told BBC Scotland the club cannot afford to keep paying striker Marius Niculae.

The Romanian international's wages had been covered by money made available by recently departed chairman Alan Savage.

Niculae has a year to run on his contract and is earning in the region of £4000-a-week.

From BBC "Inverness Caledonian Thistle's Romanian striker Marius Niculae could be heading back to Sporting Lisbon after Euro 2008. (Sunday Mail)"

Due to Caley's well known financial issues it seems he will be moving but you'd have to say Lisbon looks more appealing than us.

But if the english leagues, a first team shot, not moving too far from his current base and a sniff at the prem appeals then he may go for us.

Hoping he does, apparently a handful.

Looks like the talk about this player may have a bit of substance too it with garys meeting with ICT chairman, trip to the euros, habit from buying from scotland etc.

aside from his goals scored record thats on wikipedia, does anyone know much about him.

is he the pacey finisher we need, is he a target man like dele, or is he a bit of an all rounder. i don't think ive ever seen him play aside from off the bench for romania. anyone know much about him and his playing style?

would he be a good signing for us?

Thats one signing down then, we'll have to brush up on our romanian as well as Portuguise ( ie for Basso). Was hoping we'd get to see him vs the Italians the other night, so hopefully he will play some part in romanias last game on tuesday.

I think he played against italy.

No there are two Nicoluae's in the squad. Ours (or sporting lisbons) is the bigger fella who came on in the 1st game

Oh Ok. The one who played seemed to have a quiet game.

I like how you refer to him as ours :englandsmile4wf:

Looks like the talk about this player may have a bit of substance too it with garys meeting with ICT chairman, trip to the euros, habit from buying from scotland etc.

aside from his goals scored record thats on wikipedia, does anyone know much about him.

is he the pacey finisher we need, is he a target man like dele, or is he a bit of an all rounder. i don't think ive ever seen him play aside from off the bench for romania. anyone know much about him and his playing style?

would he be a good signing for us?

Just seen this on BBC Gossip

"Inverness Caledonian Thistle's Romanian striker Marius Niculae could be heading back to Sporting Lisbon after Euro 2008. (Sunday Mail)"

Right I'm not sure if I'm allowed to put this, so if moderators think there is a problem please remove.

I spoke to my friend at lunchtime and whilst he is out reporting on games for the Euro, he does work on transfer areas.

He told me as Bristol City hadn't signed anyone and this player could be a big player (namewise) for us he was keen to chase it up.

He got a no comment reply from Bristol City and was told they do not deal with the press regarding transfer issues.

He then spoke to someone at Inverness and was told the following.

Marius Niculae has been told we can not maintain his contract next season and is available if clubs are interested at the right price. We have received 4 offers for the player, all in the region of £2,000,000. One of these from a Scottish club has been rejected. An approach from a Portuguese team and two approaches from English teams have been accepted and the player has been given permission to speak to each clubs representative, when his Romanian coach feels it is okay to do so.

He asked if they could reveal details on the clubs, the response was.

We are not privy to pass on that information until the player has been approached and we feel his performance for Romania should not be interrupted with news of transfer details.

He then asked has their been any approach from Bristol City or Sporting Lisbon

The response again was, I'm afraid I will not pass on details of individual clubs.

Finally he asked if they would try and keep him at Inverness;

The response, we have offered the maximum contract to the player and also offered a fair compensation to refresh his old contract, on neither accounts were the terms agreeable and he has made it very clear he is looking for a move to a bigger club, in which we have granted him that option. We can't afford to match his current contract given the clubs financial position.

This is what I have been told by a reliable source, but if mods feel this shouldn't be shown, please remove, I'm not sure where a form stands on press related articles.

Very interesting.

Presuming one of the English clubs is us and the Portugese club is Sporting, I wonder who the other English club are. Shows that he's got something about him if a club like Sporting are presumably in the hunt.

I've got a friend that supports Standard Liege who Niculae used to play for so I asked him on facebook what he was like. This is what he had to say:

Niculae was pretty decent and could do well in lower English divisions... he wasn't a first team regular but did a quite good job. Powerful, not too bad in the air and works a lot for the team. On the other hand, he's everything but Brazilian if you know what I mean.. not too skilled technically wise. Still, not a bad signing IMHO

not myself

but my dad was speaking to him on friday.

all these rumours are silly

the only one with and truth is the Emad Meteb story

How can you be so sure that story isn't being made up by his agent or his current club to try and manufacture a move for him?

Oh dear, a dirty lagartos player from SCP (I say advisedly as a Benfica fan by birth) but having said this, if I recall correctly Niculae is a decent player, scored one and set one up against Newcastle in the UEFA Cup, from the same Superliga winning team that Rochemback went to Middlesbro from. Did get a lot of injuries though...

Do the entire City squad live in Portishead? Every time I hear about where certain players live or have interviews (at home) its always Portishead.

Near enough, yes.

Alan Walsh, Gary Johnson, Orr, Fontaine, Elliott, Trundle are all down there with Skuse or Lee Johnson either recently moved down or in the process of doing so. I'm sure I've missed people out there too.

Archived