IGNORED

Worse S*** Holes

Guest shane

Guest shane

was reading a thread on the champs forum about worse places to watch football and most intimidating so in my opinion luton away terrible place in some ones back garden even though won three nil andy cole hat hatrick i think.most intimidating was reading away many years ago when i was very young at the old ground lost one nil think senior scored for them nearly a full scale riot also in the nineties cardiff away was always a bit dodgy.

i know our ground isnt a shithole but i would defiently say it is intemidating when us fans maek ti intemidating e.g against palace in the playoffs and one of my mates who is a wednesday fan said its defiently the most intimadating ground he has been mainly beacuase of the eastend boys !

was reading a thread on the champs forum about worse places to watch football and most intimidating so in my opinion luton away terrible place in some ones back garden even though won three nil andy cole hat hatrick i think.most intimidating was reading away many years ago when i was very young at the old ground lost one nil think senior scored for them nearly a full scale riot also in the nineties cardiff away was always a bit dodgy.

That was only intimadating because our lads kicked off big time, was nothing to do with "passionate" Reading fans. Reading never has been (or never will be ) intimidating.

The Reading game was at Elm park and they had Trevor Senior playing upfront who had scored a hatful. The City fans kicked off behind the goal and were physically ripping the terraces up. All the players had to go and stand in the middle of the pitch. They just thought it was calming down and Reading's keeper Alan Judge made his way back....only to be pelted with pieces of the terrace as he approaced his net...

We ended up losing 2 nil. Miserable day.

I remember that Reading game at Elm park. Loads of City fans were arrested and had to go backup to court in Reading the following week. By all accounts Rog Malone was trying to interview supporters outside the court room and one of them was Winny. Every other word began with 'F' so I gather he gave up!

It must have been hilarious to see old Todge Malone shouting 'CUT' every 5 seconds!

Our lot were very naughty at that game, anyone remember what kicked it off?

For intimidating, there is the obvious Ninnian Park and Old Den (New Den doesn't feel so bad)! Have always found Stoke, Sheff Utd and Burnley to feel a bit 'dodgy' as well.

As for grounds which left a bit to be desired, in no particular order and some historic (ie, have improved since all seater rules) - Bury, Cambridge, Rochdale, Carlisle, the 3 big North East Clubs (grounds were fine but always stuck in a little wet corner with the hardy couple of hundred), Northampton (cricket pitch years), Bolton (between the Shopping Centre and the floodlight) and Leicester (in a cage, where you are surrounding by coin throwing locals and ciggies packets on fire being thrown down from the tier above).

Probably could go on for ages but whilst the grounds were not great, still loved the crack of going away - never lost the buzz!

Up the City

PGR

Guest shane
That was only intimadating because our lads kicked off big time, was nothing to do with "passionate" Reading fans. Reading never has been (or never will be ) intimidating.

Yeah your prob right been to reading a few times since and no prob but as i said was very young then and that was the first time seen crowd trouble thats why prob stuck in my memory prob include trumpton as another shit hole

worst ground for me was springfield park, wigan. it sleeted the whole game, i only wore a t-shirt, bloody freezing.

most intimidating was wrexham a few years back, not so much in the ground but their lads were hungry that day and we didn't have a brilliant turn out. got to see a fair few parts of that wonderful north wales city, generally at a quick pace with not much interest in looking back.

The Reading game was at Elm park and they had Trevor Senior playing upfront who had scored a hatful. The City fans kicked off behind the goal and were physically ripping the terraces up. All the players had to go and stand in the middle of the pitch. They just thought it was calming down and Reading's keeper Alan Judge made his way back....only to be pelted with pieces of the terrace as he approaced his net...

We ended up losing 2 nil. Miserable day.

Trevor Morgan was picking up the coins being thrown by our supporters and putting them in his pocket. Terry Cooper in an attempt to calm things down said City would conceede the game if we didn't calm down..We did get promoted that season though...

On the very dark side I think someone was seriously hurt and Reading were fined 250,000 for not controlling the crowd.

The worst ground was Trumpton..Closely followed by Gillingham and Northampton (before moving/reconstruction)

There are a lot of shitholes - Luton, Chesterfield, Rotherham, Bury etc, interestingly a good atmosphere at most of them.

Can't say any ground is too intimidating these days, too well policed. Getting away from Stoke is a bit iffy, Millwall a bit of a joke, Wolves? almost iffy, not a real problem though.

Fings ain't what they used ter be.

Trevor Morgan was picking up the coins being thrown by our supporters and putting them in his pocket. Terry Cooper in an attempt to calm things down said City would conceede the game if we didn't calm down..We did get promoted that season though...

On the very dark side I think someone was seriously hurt and Reading were fined 250,000 for not controlling the crowd.

The worst ground was Trumpton..Closely followed by Gillingham and Northampton (before moving/reconstruction)

If I recall correctly it was a police officer hit with a lump of concrete, half the terrace behind us was cordened off with a bit of fencing and plastic taping, making it very easy for anyone to access the crumbling terrace behind, Reading should of had it fenced off properly.

trumpton both for shiteness and intimidating, especially whilst on crutches and having to go in the home end with a gashead mate not having been successful in getting an away ticket.

The only ground I have ever found intimidating is The Vetch. I went there once and that was enough for me. Must have been about 2000. Outside the ground it kicked off proper. Bricks etc were flying everywhere. The police chucked alot of us in a riot van just to get us away from it all. Game was delayed by 15 mins and Carey scored. Also the ground was a proper shit hole.

Been to Millwall, Stoke etc but don't find them intimidating. Although I never went to there old grounds where I gather it was intimidating.

Had a chap have a 'little word' with me retreating from the Mammery after Phillips sent the G*s down, which was fun. Nothing's been overly intimadating since, I must say (only been travlling since '96). Got accidently herded in with a Millwall esscort approaching AG, which was fun.

No, missed the hey-day I'm afraid.

The worst ground Ive been to is most probably Brentford or Cambridge Utd. Most imtimadating is hard to chose because Ive always found give back just as much as they receive
Don't forget the Manor Ground.

Worst ground: Stoke but Rotherham was the biggest shithole.

The mem was the most intimidating.

If the mem is intimidating then so is the likes of FGR. I don't know about you but I don't feel intimidated by a bunch of chavy 13 year olds giving it the big I am.

S Holes-(in no particluar order)

Hereford(mid 80's)

Oxford, (manor ground)

Brentford

Newport(mid 80's)

Intimidating

Filbert Street(as explained by someone above, coins, fag packets etc - quite scary)

Ayresome Park and Roker Park for the "Roars" - were very impressive.

Guest PaulTrollopesBlueArmy

Swanseas Vetch field was a dump but was very intimidating when you look to the left and theres hundreds just staring at you for the 90 mins not interested 1 bit in the game

Swanseas Vetch field was a dump but was very intimidating when you look to the left and theres hundreds just staring at you for the 90 mins not interested 1 bit in the game

Crikey, and there I was waiting for you to say AG was a S hole...... how you continually surprise us

Crikey, and there I was waiting for you to say AG was a S hole...... how you continually surprise us

i cant really talk with a ground like ours, you ground is getting old but it isnt the worst, quite like it to be hinest because we always outsing you ;)

Why would they not stare at you lot, freak shows are rare these days :laugh:

i cant really talk with a ground like ours, you ground is getting old but it isnt the worst, quite like it to be hinest because we always outsing you ;)
Not next time you wont with us 1200 singers in there. That day if it ever comes will be very interesting to say the least.

Yes you must find it nice coming to AG and seeing a BIG clubs ground(joke)

are you sure you not joking

Not next time you wont with us 1200 singers in there. That day if it ever comes will be very interesting to say the least.

we still would, just when is the next time we will play you? hopefully FA cup or next season

Archived