IGNORED

Royal Antwerp Fc

Claverham_Red

I have reliably been informed City's foreign opposition at Ashton Gate this summer is Royal Antwerp FC of Belgium. They currently are in the Belgian Second Division and they finished 4th in the last season. Of course they are Manchester United's feeder club, so possibly we may see a few up-and-coming young stars for the future.

Not a bad game indeed, will be a competitive one for sure. Would fully expect City to win this one, however.

I have reliably been informed City's foreign opposition at Ashton Gate this summer is Royal Antwerp FC of Belgium. They currently are in the Belgian Second Division and they finished 4th in the last season. Of course they are Manchester United's feeder club, so possibly we may see a few up-and-coming young stars for the future.

Not a bad game indeed, will be a competitive one for sure. Would fully expect City to win this one, however.

bit of a coincidence

I saw them play twice last year

good set of fans

I saw them play twice last year

good set of fans

Went to see them play a few years back (our nan's from Antwerp) couldn't believe the songs they were singing, majority in Enlgish 'Come on you reds', 'Is that all you take away' etc, only a few songs in Flemish. When I saw the thread I was hoping it was going to away from home, my RAFC shirt is a few years old now and seems that the only place to get another is their club shop...

spot on mate, good source... :winner_third_h4h:

Am I the only one really concerned with having pre-season games full of jobber teams just because they're easy to get hold of and would give players the confidence? How about a single game against a team that would pose a serious challenge, especially for the new blood (if we end up getting any).

We had the 'Mighty' Lids in 2003, held them off very well for a 0-0 draw and that season ended in - yes - a playoff final defeat. Aside Real Mallorca We haven't staged any pre-season games against teams of that level (at the time ;)) since. And even from the Spanish we still got two superb goals out of the bargain, so that way if the players see quality in front of them it'll inspire quality a few weeks before they're supposed to learn it the hard way.

Am I the only one really concerned with having pre-season games full of jobber teams just because they're easy to get hold of and would give players the confidence? How about a single game against a team that would pose a serious challenge, especially for the new blood (if we end up getting any).

We had the 'Mighty' Lids in 2003, held them off very well for a 0-0 draw and that season ended in - yes - a playoff final defeat. Aside Real Mallorca We haven't staged any pre-season games against teams of that level (at the time ;)) since. And even from the Spanish we still got two superb goals out of the bargain, so that way if the players see quality in front of them it'll inspire quality a few weeks before they're supposed to learn it the hard way.

Well, we can only play teams that are available, so don't really see your point.

I remember us getting thrashed (5-0?) by Borussia Munchengladbach prior to our relegation season in 1998/99. I went away from that game thinking the Germans were amazing and would be challenging for the Budesliga that season....they ended up finishing last, just like us.

Well, we can only play teams that are available, so don't really see your point.

The better the teams we play, the better we'll become; I don't see what playing teams just / far below the standards of whatever league we're in year in/year out will do other than warm people up and shed holiday weight. I'm not saying we've got to murder our own team 5 games straight but JUST ONE fairly difficult game on a par with the 46 we have coming up would give a much better benchmark to aspire to.

Antwerp fan here ;)

We are really glad to play Bristol, there was a rumour we'd play Leed first but we'd take any trip abroad.

As for the English song: We were formed by a group of English students and consider ourselves a club with a British atmosphere, hence the many English songs.

We played Hull last season and took about 800 fans, I expect we'll take at least that many this year.

I wish we were playing them in Antwerp it's a great city.

Still I hope their fans enjoy Bristol and the west country, they made me feel very welcome when I was over there. One or two of them already have some bristol city badges!

they also play in red and white and have got a great chant that was quite impressive

I wish we were playing them in Antwerp it's a great city.

Still I hope their fans enjoy Bristol and the west country, they made me feel very welcome when I was over there. One or two of them already have some bristol city badges!

they also play in red and white and have got a great chant that was quite impressive

Someone was trying to change those lyrics a while back to suit us if I remember correctly.. Not sure if it was on here or Ziderheads though..

Looking forward to this game, could be a good atmosphere for a friendly if they bring a few hundred over and we can teach them some songs about Cider!

Am I the only city fan who is disappointed with this news? No disrespect but they probably aren't very good, they're not even in the Belgian Premier. I guess we'll have to wait and see...

Well done, they'll probably smash us 4-0 now :D

Shame there's no return game at their ground, Belgiums a lovely country

Am I the only city fan who is disappointed with this news? No disrespect but they probably aren't very good, they're not even in the Belgian Premier. I guess we'll have to wait and see...
I know we haven't got the best team of Europa. But don't underestimate us. Last season we played 1-1 at home against Ipswich and 0-0 at Hull. This means it's not going to be a walk over. Went to see the Bristol - Hull game at Wembley, good atmosphere from your side. Hopefully more luck next season!

Archived