IGNORED

Pre Season Tour

robins72

I can't see this being as feasible as Latvia.

The Algarve is a big area, so there's a likelihood people will need car hire. That, allied to the fact there are only two games instead of three, makes it a bit less attractive than last year.

The Algarve Challange Cup is being held at the Alrgarve Stadium on July 22-24th, featuring Celtic,MiddlesboroughCardiff and Portugese side V.Guimares, so you best be pre warned as I'd imagine the Celts will have taken every bed already !

So anyone going should be pre warned, as I'd imagine there's a good chance of City playing there.

so the players are going on a 5 day pre season tour of the Algarve.15th til 20th July with 2 matches planned but not yet named. Should attract a fair few fans. News on the Os.

barracuda bar albufeira, home of bcfc algarve supporters club would welcome all city fans on tour to the algarve. trying to find out who city r playing.

albufeira football team named IMORTAL FC play 3rd tier standard football . ground cap about 3000 . small beer about 1euro.

Guest shane

lucky enough my old man got a villa near portimao was there week before wembley ireland national team played a few local friendlys.played local team lagos was on a training pitch.will check your bar out .

News anyone?

I've booked flights, etc. but don't know where we're playing, so haven't booked accomodation.

Where/when are we playing and where is everyone staying?

If you're based in/near Faro, I understand you'll be fine for getting to both games.

If you're based in/near Faro, I understand you'll be fine for getting to both games.

The Algarve is my second home after going there well over twenty times in the past 15 years.

The main stadium is just outside Faro, but this one was built for the european championships and is not used anymore.

I would of thought games at Quarteira (think thats how you spell it) or inland at Portimo could be where the games are played.

Very small grounds holding only 3000 or so.

If you base yourselves in mid Algarve ie; Albufeira/Vilamoura/Pria de Ouro, nothing will be far to travel.

Basing yourselves in Faro could be a mistake as its a long way from everywhere.

Beaches and locals are fab, so enjoy

Pre-season tour not cancelled.

There will be 2 games, one in Lagoa (Weds) and the other in Faro (Fri). Lagoa is near Carveiro, which is a nice resort. I can recommend a fab indian restaurant there!!!! Details later.

I don't know the exact location of the Faro game, but will post later.

:englandsmile4wf:

Pre-season tour not cancelled.

There will be 2 games, one in Lagoa (Weds) and the other in Faro (Fri). Lagoa is near Carveiro, which is a nice resort. I can recommend a fab indian restaurant there!!!! Details later.

I don't know the exact location of the Faro game, but will post later.

:englandsmile4wf:

Faro usually play there games at Stadium Algarve. This is at the end of the main road from the airport next to the motorway and is seen by anyone going west from the airport.

As someone who follows the Liga in Portugal closely, I have to say this is remarkably weak opposition for a club with our ambitions. When we went to Latvia at least we were playing at least one club who would compete in European competition. Here we're playing sides some distance off top level football, I would consider these the types of friendlies that in England we'd send a second string to.

In Portugal the league splits into a regional pyramid below the top two divisions, GD Lagoa play in an equivalent of the old fashioned English Division 3 South. Although there is plenty of technique and a lot of athletes from Brasil and former African colonies, the quality isn't really on a par with what we're aiming for, we should really be playing a lower top division (Superliga) side of thereabouts.

Lagoa's recent claim to fame is they drew Sporting Lisbon away in last seasons cup (and got thrashed 4-0). They won promotion the same season as City (06-07) finishing Champions of Division 3 "Série F" (3 promotions off the top-flight) and then winning one of the Division 3 playoffs, hence they're now in Division 2 "Série F" (also regional, 2 promotions off the top-flight).

Their best known players (mainly from playing in higher divisions) are Marco Botelho who was a keeper who played in the top division with Belenenses and Sadjó, a striker from the same country as our former striker Albano Correia (Guinea Bissau) who played in the top flight with Santa Clara and Gil Vicente, and also briefly with SC Westfalia Herne in the German 5th division (or something!)

Sporting Farense story is a bit more tragic in that they were a well established top flight club and the main representitive of the Algarve in Portuguese football, they even qualified for the UEFA Cup in 1995. But they were thrown out of the league in 2005/06 after going bust and variously having to play their junior side in professional games or failing to turn up to matches all together.

They're something of an AFC Wimbledon style phoenix club now as they've now won successive championships in very regional amateur leagues on their long route back, and start next season in Division 3 "Série F" (3 promotions off the top-flight) and one division below GD Lagoa. They manage to attract 4-figure crowds at a level where even three-figures is unusual.

In their better times, players who played for Farense include Bolton striker Ricardo Vaz Te (who was on loan at Hull I think) plus several internationals including the former Nigerian keeper Rufia, and a Moroccan striker Hassan. Their best known current player is Edinho from Brasil who is now 41 but still playing, and might be familiar as he was one of Bradford City's top scorers in the mid to late nineties.

I see that the 'tour' of Portugal (well, the Algarve) has been completely changed. Both proposed matches have been scrapped, and of the two replacements, one is now simply against Rushden and Diamonds from the conference!?

The better news is the other match is now against much better quality Portuguese opposition than originally proposed games: SC Olhanense, who had a remarkably similar season to us this year - finished six points and a couple of places off promotion to the top flight.

Here's a bit of pub trivia for you all, probably worth a prize too...

Who is the only player to have played for both clubs (Bristol City and Sporting Olhanense that is)......

p.s. here is their website: http://www.scolhanense.com/ (you won't find the answer on there though) :D

EDIT: They do have a player called Edson in central-midfield but that doesn't count!!

I see that the 'tour' of Portugal (well, the Algarve) has been completely changed. Both proposed matches have been scrapped, and of the two replacements, one is now simply against Rushden and Diamonds from the conference!?

The better news is the other match is now against much better quality Portuguese opposition than originally proposed games: SC Olhanense, who had a remarkably similar season to us this year - finished six points and a couple of places off promotion to the top flight.

Who is the only player to have played for both clubs (Bristol City and Sporting Olhanense that is)...... :D

Pinemonte?

Who is the only player to have played for both clubs (Bristol City and Sporting Olhanense that is)......

p.s. here is their website: http://www.scolhanense.com/ (you won't find the answer on there though) :D

Ahead of this afternoon's pre-season friendly with SC Olhanense, no one got the above bit of trivia about who had actually played for both clubs (unsurprising though as it was pretty random and only one person guessed)

The answer was Hugo Evora, a centre back who was on trial in a 3-0 City reserve victory over Swansea at Ashton Gate and 3-0 reserve defeat away at QPR in 2002. He then went on to play for SC Olhanense for a couple of years.

Second bit of trivia now ahead of this afternoon's game - the opposition manager (as of his appointment last month) is a former Charlton player who has lifted the Champions League as captain this decade. Who?

In the meantime, there's almost certainly nowhere to get live score updates today. I see the Olhanense website is referring to Richard Wyatt's Radio Bristol show for it's preview (http://www.scolhanense.com/noticia.php?id=223)!

Finally for those of you who like that sort of thing, Olhanense's Ultras: http://olhanense.adeptos.com/claques.htm

ms_logo.gifpic_cachecois.jpg

pic_PSCSCO0405_20.jpg

pic_ms_02.jpg

Archived