IGNORED

The Difference Between Us And Hull...

WTFiGO!?!

Was a working front line.

Now I know the popular analysis of our down fall was GJ not going full out for a striker in the Janurary window, but I say here that wouldn't necessarily have sorted us.

What I think we missed wasn't just the one quality striker, but the relationship, the partnership ala Brooker-Lita. The wily Windass-Cample (who I personally didn't think was that good, just quick) backed up by the quality an experianced Nick Barmby was the difference. Adebola and Trundle, despite being individual talented players (in their own right) were on different wavelengths, Byefield and either of them, likewise.

What I'm saying is: signing a top quality striker alone (ala, imo, Trundle) isn't enough. What we need to forge is a winning partnership with the correct chemistry. Be a big test of Johnson's credentials this, imo.

I take a bow.

We lost out on promotion due to losing two key games - the first one was away to Stoke where GJ was still trying to find a winning formula in the midfield which hadnt been working since Sproule lost some form - he played Wilson in the first half and Byfield partnering Adebola - at half time with us losing 2-0 he put Noble on for Wilson and Trundle for Byfield - we won the second half 1-0 but had we found out that Noble complimented our midfield by playing on the right side of midfield then we probably would have won that match and thus won promotion. The relationship between Trundle and Adebola clicked after that and what we need is more strikers to challenge for those positions - but we been looking for strikers for about 3 seasons now.

We lost to Hull due to Orr being injured and not replaced - we were starting to dominate in midfield and the goal would have come but unfortunately we had no ready made cover for right back on the subs bench - Vasko, Byfield, Weale, Sproule and Johnson - had Elliott stayed in midfield and Orr not got injured or had been replaced by Keogh/Wilson then again I don't think we would have lost that match.

Your assessment across the season seems right but I would say that had we got things right earlier than the 2nd half of the Stoke game and not been unfortunate at Wembley with that injury then we would not be in this division - that's football and we move on and look for "what needs to be put right" for next season and your observation is correct for the season as a whole but I think that all was clicking into place at the very end of the season / post season and that partnerships is just one part of the equation and any semblance of a decent return from our strikers will improve us and given that one promotion and one play off final is what we have to improve on then it bodes well for us provided that the Trundle/Adebola partnership continues in the same way that it finished last year, that they stay uninjured and the new strikers improve the quality (which bearing in mind they have to replace Byfield and Showumni) of our striking options.

We lost out on promotion due to losing two key games - the first one was away to Stoke where GJ was still trying to find a winning formula in the midfield which hadnt been working since Sproule lost some form - he played Wilson in the first half and Byfield partnering Adebola - at half time with us losing 2-0 he put Noble on for Wilson and Trundle for Byfield - we won the second half 1-0 but had we found out that Noble complimented our midfield by playing on the right side of midfield then we probably would have won that match and thus won promotion. The relationship between Trundle and Adebola clicked after that and what we need is more strikers to challenge for those positions - but we been looking for strikers for about 3 seasons now.

We lost to Hull due to Orr being injured and not replaced - we were starting to dominate in midfield and the goal would have come but unfortunately we had no ready made cover for right back on the subs bench - Vasko, Byfield, Weale, Sproule and Johnson - had Elliott stayed in midfield and Orr not got injured or had been replaced by Keogh/Wilson then again I don't think we would have lost that match.

Your assessment across the season seems right but I would say that had we got things right earlier than the 2nd half of the Stoke game and not been unfortunate at Wembley with that injury then we would not be in this division - that's football and we move on and look for "what needs to be put right" for next season and your observation is correct for the season as a whole but I think that all was clicking into place at the very end of the season / post season and that partnerships is just one part of the equation and any semblance of a decent return from our strikers will improve us and given that one promotion and one play off final is what we have to improve on then it bodes well for us provided that the Trundle/Adebola partnership continues in the same way that it finished last year, that they stay uninjured and the new strikers improve the quality (which bearing in mind they have to replace Byfield and Showumni) of our striking options.

We can be coloured in

Now I know the popular analysis of our down fall was GJ not going full out for a striker in the Janurary window, but I say here that wouldn't necessarily have sorted us.

What I think we missed wasn't just the one quality striker, but the relationship, the partnership ala Brooker-Lita. The wily Windass-Cample (who I personally didn't think was that good, just quick) backed up by the quality an experianced Nick Barmby was the difference. Adebola and Trundle, despite being individual talented players (in their own right) were on different wavelengths, Byefield and either of them, likewise.

What I'm saying is: signing a top quality striker alone (ala, imo, Trundle) isn't enough. What we need to forge is a winning partnership with the correct chemistry. Be a big test of Johnson's credentials this, imo.

I take a bow.

I personally don't think it's just the strikers at fault, but the service. Our wingers played far too narrow during last season as a result didn't create nowhere near enough chances for the front men.

The lack of goals is also about style of play as well as personel.

I take a bow.

Trundle is capable of at least 15 goals in this division, played consistently, in a chance creating team and with the right partner.

GJ's job is to find that man, Trundle's shown what he can do in the run in and he's far too talented. to be allowed to fester in the background for another season.

The forthcoming campaign may be the last he is at his best and we have to ensure we make the most of it.

I take a bow.

A very good observation there Sir!

I take a bow.

I'm not sure we have to keep thinking the "chemistry" must be right (although it clearly helps). Its not as if these boys are mute and have to rely on telepathy?!!? Surely they have all week to talk to each other, train and have practice games or whatever then they have an entire season to show some class and earn their wages. I know they have to settle in in a new team and a new home and get away from their families/friends but that is life is it not? I'm bored of hearing how we needed to sign a new striker in January so this post makes an interesting excuse for what I can only think is a players inability to live up to his contract.

Slightly controversial but why can't the contract be written so that they get a sliding scale of wages indicative of how well they play, goals they score, times they get picked so these guys can feel a bit of pressure. I appreciate there is a bonus scheme in most contracts for wins and goals scored/clean sheets but I'm merely working on the thought that if you're a salesman and struggling to hit target you won't make commission and ultimately lose your job which should spur you on so if you know what the deal is and don't fancy it - do a different job. If you're a striker and don't score goals.........

Odd concept and bit out there but I'm bored and the close season is dragging on!

• Admin

I would agree 100% with you on that !

Only thing is it is easy in hindsight . . . . who was to know that we would not have won those two games with the changes made. . .

Trundle is capable of at least 15 goals in this division, played consistently, in a chance creating team and with the right partner.

GJ's job is to find that man, Trundle's shown what he can do in the run in and he's far too talented. to be allowed to fester in the background for another season.

The forthcoming campaign may be the last he is at his best and we have to ensure we make the most of it.

I believe you are correct.I think we need a big striker capable of playing football, the likes of Hulse, Beatie, ashton,

Henderson, he doesn't need blistering pace but a footballing brain to compiment Trundle.

Finding one is the hard part.

Cheers for the intelligent replies, folks.

Apart from this one....

I'm not sure we have to keep thinking the "chemistry" must be right (although it clearly helps). Its not as if these boys are mute and have to rely on telepathy?!!? Surely they have all week to talk to each other, train and have practice games or whatever then they have an entire season to show some class and earn their wages.

(and with respect)... you could've fkn fooled me at Wembley, at times....

an I'm a self-declared Happy-Clapper - Praise The Lord!

Archived