IGNORED

Hurray For Bicycles!

Flaxbourton Red

bristol to become first cycle city

great news for bristol

although i must add the funds spent on showers for cyclists is a complete waste of cash

in holland, cycling is as normal as walking, no extra showers are needed, they just give people the bad impression that if you cycle to work you are going to get covered in sweat. simply not true, nor do you have to dress up like an idiot in dayglow lycra or wear a silly hat

nobody does either of these; unless you are cycling one of those silly road bikes at 30 miles an hour

So with old peoples homes closing, failing schools and a shambles of a road system, the council is to spend £11mil on a minority activity simply because it's the "in" thing right now.

It seems every other day the Evil Post is reporting how companies are pulling out of Bristol, yet no steps are taken to really improve the City. How long till the ring road plans are even close to fruition? What about the South Bristol regeneration? These are things that will have a real impact.

What with rising oil prices and a shoddy bus operator it may be only a matter of time before we all have to dig out the old bikes. Oh yes, don't forget the congestion charge that'll keep the poor off the roads! Personally, I wouldn't mind cycling to work it's just that I don't think it's very safe bombing down the A420.

Let's not turn this into the EP letters page.

Cyclists are just people - some are selfish arseholes and most are not.

I bike to work sometimes. If they're going to spend money on cycling I'd rather they spent the cash on setting up more off road cycle paths than all the b***ocks they've listed in that article. Not having to be on the road with blind, moronic drivers would do more to get more people on a bike than anything else.

What a complete waste of money. How many people are going to ride their planet saving machines to work on a cold winter's morning? Start with public transport which at the moment is unreliable, dirty and bloody expensive.

This will look great in five years time with Bristol in complete gridlock, a congestion charge and still no decent public transport to speak of

I bike to work sometimes. If they're going to spend money on cycling I'd rather they spent the cash on setting up more off road cycle paths than all the b***ocks they've listed in that article. Not having to be on the road with blind, moronic drivers would do more to get more people on a bike than anything else.

totally agree

not sure some understand that if you improve the cycle network with specific cycle paths rather than painting the gutter green, you will see a reduction in cyclists on the road, but an increase in cycle commuting i.e. less people driving to work as per Holland or Denmark.

building cycle paths not painting the gutter green is a win/win situation for both motorists, cyclists and the taxpayer (healthier people use the NHS less), through less cyclists and traffic on roads, and safer routes for cyclists. You only have to go to Holland to see this work.

Another good thing about this money is that it could have gone to a different city but they chose Bristol, surely that is a good thing?

Anyway I'm going back to my guardian...

Archived