IGNORED

X Bristol Rovers And City Player

robins72

Very sad news - Tim was in year below me at school but we both played in same rugby time in 4/5th years

I was in the same year as Tim at Patchway and remember him as a bit of a celebrity back then. A great sports all-rounder and a bright lad to boot.

Rest in peace Tim.

He was citys keeper the day i was mascot back in '88.Did we have him on loan from rovers or had he moved on from there then?

RIP Tim

He had a loan spell with us in 1988/89 played against Preston, Blackpool and Port Vale all in September 1988.

Yes, very sad news. He was a decent 'keeper in his day.

It does seem like a suicide though.

Former Sunderland keeper Tim Carter found dead

Last updated at 14:56pm on 21.06.08

Former Sunderland goalkeeper Tim Carter has been found dead. The ex-Black Cats shot stopper was reported missing from his home in Durham early on Thursday morning. His body was discovered in bushes by a passer-by in Manchester just after noon on Thursday. A source confirmed he was found with rope around his neck and it is believed he hanged himself.

Today a spokesman for Greater Manchester Police said: 'Shortly after 12pm on Thursday June 19 police were called to Highfield Close in Stretford following reports of a body found. 'Officers attended and found the body of a 40-year-old man. 'There are not believed to be any suspicious circumstances.' Mr Carter, who was recently appointed as Sunderland's academy goalkeeping coach, was pronounced dead at the scene. A file has been passed to the coroner and a post-mortem examination will take place next week.

Mr Carter played 50 games for the Premier League club between 1987 and 1992. He was the first-team goalkeeping coach before the arrival of ex-Manchester United star Raimond Van Der Gouw last summer and also coached Estonia's national team goalkeepers on a part-time basis. Carter was capped three times with England's youth squad in 1985 and made his Football League debut for his local team Bristol Rovers at just 18.

He joined Sunderland on Christmas Eve in 1987. He also appeared for Newport, Carlisle, Birmingham, Hartlepool, Millwall, Blackpool and Oxford before going into coaching.

Mr Carter ended his playing days in 1999 at Halifax Town. A spokesman for Sunderland declined to comment.

made his Football League debut for his local team Bristol Rovers at just 18.

He joined Sunderland on Christmas Eve in 1987. He also appeared for Newport, Carlisle, Birmingham, Hartlepool, Millwall, Blackpool and Oxford before going into coaching.

Mr Carter ended his playing days in 1999 at Halifax Town. A spokesman for Sunderland declined to comment.

No mention of him playing for City. Sad news.

Yes, very sad news. He was a decent 'keeper in his day.

It does seem like a suicide though.

Former Sunderland keeper Tim Carter found dead

Last updated at 14:56pm on 21.06.08

Former Sunderland goalkeeper Tim Carter has been found dead. The ex-Black Cats shot stopper was reported missing from his home in Durham early on Thursday morning. His body was discovered in bushes by a passer-by in Manchester just after noon on Thursday. A source confirmed he was found with rope around his neck and it is believed he hanged himself.

Today a spokesman for Greater Manchester Police said: 'Shortly after 12pm on Thursday June 19 police were called to Highfield Close in Stretford following reports of a body found. 'Officers attended and found the body of a 40-year-old man. 'There are not believed to be any suspicious circumstances.' Mr Carter, who was recently appointed as Sunderland's academy goalkeeping coach, was pronounced dead at the scene. A file has been passed to the coroner and a post-mortem examination will take place next week.

Mr Carter played 50 games for the Premier League club between 1987 and 1992. He was the first-team goalkeeping coach before the arrival of ex-Manchester United star Raimond Van Der Gouw last summer and also coached Estonia's national team goalkeepers on a part-time basis. Carter was capped three times with England's youth squad in 1985 and made his Football League debut for his local team Bristol Rovers at just 18.

This story says he was found dead in bushes.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/06/21/...Carter-Dead.php

Although this story said he may have hung himself....

http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5gz...nVMO5wHl2-SFW3Q

Very sad.

Very sad news.

This account from the Sunderland Echo ...

Cats' goalkeeper coach found dead

21 June 2008

By By Fiona Thompson

SUNDERLAND AFC Academy goalkeeping coach Tim Carter has been found dead after he went missing from home.

The body of the former Sunderland first-team goalkeeper was found in a Manchester street by a dog walker.

The 40-year-old had been reported missing from his Durham City home in the early hours of Thursday by a member of his family and was discovered in Stretford shortly after noon that day.

Greater Manchester Police said he had been staying in a hotel in the area and the details of the death have been passed on to the coroner, with an inquest expected to be heard in coming months.

He played 50 games for Sunderland between 1987 and 1992 and returned to the club as goalkeeping coach.

He was capped three times with England's youth squad in 1985 and made his Football League debut for his local side Bristol Rovers when he was 18, before joining Sunderland on Christmas Eve in 1987 for an initial fee of £35,000, with a further £15,000 payable, linked to first-team appearances.

He was signed as a cover for Iain Hesford, finding few opportunities, but enjoyed a run of senior outings in the first half of the 1989/90 season before Tony Norman regained his position as number one keeper.

He arrived at Sunderland as academy coach before taking over as first-team, his role changing when Raimond van der Gouw arrived last summer and took on responsibility for the first team.

The arrival of the Dutchman could have spelled the end of Carter's involvement with the club, but Roy Keane was eager to have him become more involved in bringing on the academy's players.

He was capped for England's youth squad in 1985.

He also appeared for Newport, Carlisle, Birmingham, Hartlepool, Milwall, Blackpool and Oxford befor hanging up his gloves at Halifax in 1999 and going into coaching.

He also coached the goalkeepers in Estonia's national side on a part-time basis.

He had been recommended by Mart Poom, Estonia's legendary number one, who had been impressed by Carter during his own stay at Sunderland.

This story says he was found dead in bushes.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/06/21/...Carter-Dead.php

Although this story said he may have hung himself....

http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5gz...nVMO5wHl2-SFW3Q

Very sad.

Keep in mind that suicide is a bit of a taboo subject and the media is restricted in the way it is reported - they can't be seen to be encouraging or provoking other people to do the same.

I can remember him playing in a "Derby" game at Ashton Gate back in the mid 80's

I think it was an early kick off on new years day, but can't remember the year. It was in truth probably one of the most one sided derbies ever.

Our northern neighbours were only kept in the game thanks to an outstanding goalkeeping display from Tim Carter, (and the posts and bar!!)

During the game, he suffered a head injury and had to go off for stitches, but came back on and continued to defy everything Neville, Riley and team mates threw at him.

I think the game is probably remembered more for their winner in added time from what was their only attack in 90 minutes, and even that was 25 yards from goal!!! :disapointed2se:

20 + years on, well played Timmy Carter.

Condolences to family

I can remember him playing in a "Derby" game at Ashton Gate back in the mid 80's

I think it was an early kick off on new years day, but can't remember the year. It was in truth probably one of the most one sided derbies ever.

Our northern neighbours were only kept in the game thanks to an outstanding goalkeeping display from Tim Carter, (and the posts and bar!!)

During the game, he suffered a head injury and had to go off for stitches, but came back on and continued to defy everything Neville, Riley and team mates threw at him.

I think the game is probably remembered more for their winner in added time from what was their only attack in 90 minutes, and even that was 25 yards from goal!!! :disapointed2se:

20 + years on, well played Timmy Carter.

Condolences to family

I recalled the very same game and details to Ray Cashley this evening. He had a super game...!

We both strugged to find the right words to say and even to understand.

Its difficult to know what to say at such a sad time, RIP Tim, condolences to his family.

Very sad when I heard this.

If I remember rightly he performed heroics for the Gas in the 1st match I ever attended aged 7, on NY Day 1987 at the Gate.

We had an FA Soccer School at my local sports centre later that year and he presented me with a certifcate, even though I was a City fan he was happy to pose for a photo with me, which I thought was very good of him. A true gent. I was very happy to have seen him turn out for City on loan later in his career.

RIP Tim Carter

Archived