IGNORED

The 'not A Johnson Player' Issue...

mozo

Tyson has been the latest player that's been linked and has been branded 'surely not a Gary Johnson palyer', ie he might have more ego and less work rate than required. Quite a few players have been linked and brought the same response (ie Lita).

However it seems to me that now Johnson has his philosophy already ingrained on the club, and has a solid base of 'believers' in the squad, it would be very difficult for an ego player to come in and try to undermine that.

Firstly, they get 'the interview'. If they bluff through that, then they would have players like Orr, Basso and McIndoe setting the tone in training very early on.

A big-time charlie would, I reckon, find it bloody hard to blag their way into the side, and from day one would see that they had no choice but to fit in.

There's also the element of the team spirit being infectious. As Bradley Orr said summat along the lines of, 'It's amazing to play at a club where you can honestly call every single player your mate'.

Could an ego really disrupt our squad???????

I've said all along.

If our squad and team spirit is strong enough, of course one individual cannot disrupt it with their presence alone.

If they did, shows how weak the 'spirit' is.

This is why I couldnt care less if Lita joins. Although I don't think it'd even be much of a problem. One thing he isnt is lazy and lacking a desire to win.

I was flabergasted this time last season when we were linked with Trundle. Not a GJ type of player I, and many others said. And on the outside we'd be right to say that, but now we know his personality and his comitment to the cause you have to say well done to him and GJ.

This is the problem. We don't know anything, despite what we think we know.

I thought Trundle was a horrible arrogant shit, and he's the opposite.

I was flabergasted this time last season when we were linked with Trundle. Not a GJ type of player I, and many others said. And on the outside we'd be right to say that, but now we know his personality and his comitment to the cause you have to say well done to him and GJ.

Agreed, but then Trundle (and Carle) had to put up with a long spell on the bench before coming back fit and on form. Maybe he cracked under duress!

Personally, I can't see how any pro player wouldn't want to buy-in to Johnson's philosophy.

In consideration I think this is a good point. It is easy to say, 'no we wont sign him as he's not Gary Johnsons type of player' but I don't think any of us would have said Trundle was, or Lita who it looks like we went for. I think that the dressing room is strong enough, and it would be very hard for one single player to break up the spirit there is. Infact if a player arrived who had the potential to cause a split in the camp the opposite would happen. I think with the team having such a good spirit and with Johnson in charge that player would change and become part of that spirit.

Althoug there is no way Johnson would bring in a player who he feels would not have the right ethic (they have to pass a interview don't they?), I think with the spirit there is he can now afford to take a gamble on a player, as there is pratically no chance they could damage the work ethic of the team.

Archived