IGNORED

Artus Vs Skuse

Redhyde

• SC&T Board Members
Skuse faces a massive year already after being benched for the entirety of last season, now he might not even get that.

Does Artus have more about him than Skuse?

IMHO, yes - going forward especially.

Big season for them both in terms of the future direction of their careers.

IMHO, yes - going forward especially.

Big season for them both in terms of the future direction of their careers.

Agree that Skuse is good defensively and Frankie is the better going forward.

With Carle already gone and not having seen Williams, if Elliott went, Skuse & Artus would in my view be our most effective central midfield partnership, if they were given a long enough run in the team.

Skuse disappointingly was poor on Saturday. However, at the back end of last season he did well. Against Cardiff for example, I seem to recall, he changed the game for us.

I quite liked the look of Artus on Saturday, he started off decent enough, a good battler, but that's about it. Not much quality about his game. Honestly can't see him lasting at the club - just one of those players destined for Cheltenham/FGR/Torquay etc.

Personally, I don't know what all fuss is about in regards to Artus (in reference to his performance on Saturday, that is. I've heard many good things about him from people who watch him regularly).

He put in some decent challenges, but was constantly wasteful in possession and stamped no authority on the game. In contrast, while Skuse was less spectacular, he didn't miss a pass and did the simple things much better. He looked more comfortable and more experienced in his surroundings (which, of course, he should be and is).

A couple of hard challenges and a bit of energy doesn't make a player, particularly at Championship level. We all, as fans, like to see effort. But it seems to me that many see one or two fiesty challenges and the rose tinted glasses go on. In many respects, the same logic can be applied to the love for Scott Brown; a hard-worker, but fairly basic footballer.

I've not seen as much of Artus as regular reserve team watchers, but based on Saturday's performance, I'd say him and Skuse are on a par at best.

On the same note, while I have seen nowhere near enough of these kids to make a proper judgement on them, I could see after 20 minutes exactly why none of them have featured at first team level. It's actually frightening. (And of course, it's worth baring in mind the pro's weren't much better! I'm simply commenting on what I saw on Saturday.)

Archived