IGNORED

The Secrecy Of Bcfc

reddogkev

Following BCFC during the (painful) transfer windows / pre-season etc, has become the most frustrating and infuriating time of my life.

Why all the secrecy and games of cloaks and daggers?

I can't believe that the club, and the boss, have the policy to black out all information; meaning that we are left to fend on the snippets of information that drop from the jaws of the invisible sources, which may have no credibility whatsoever.

I understand that the club does not want to broadcast all transfer dealings / targets etc - but surely there is some information they can pass onto us, without causing detriment to the club.

Following BCFC during the (painful) transfer windows / pre-season etc, has become the most frustrating and infuriating time of my life.

I can't believe that the club, and the boss, have the policy to black out all information; meaning that we are left to fend on the snippets of information that drop from the jaws of the invisible sources, which may have no credibility whatsoever.

I understand that the club does not want to broadcast all transfer dealings / targets etc - but surely there is some information they can pass onto us, without causing detriment to the club.

Why do you need to know?

What possible benefit can there be in disclosing information about transfers before the contracts are signed?

Because there are quite a few disadvantages.

I'm delighted that the club are keeping a tight reign on things because it makes us more likely to get the players we want.

I'm sure when the window is shut GJ will give a frank interview about it like he did on Feb 1st.

runinng a football club is a business .

succesful businesses keep their own council,

unless of course you want to leak misinformation, then wait for the rumour to turn full circle, and see who feeds it back to you.

not that i would ever consider doing that of course

:innocent06:

I hate when people quote the op, just seems pointless.

The reason they do it in private is so that other clubs are not alerted to the player being available. Common sense really.

If it's common sense as you say Disco, why do so many other clubs seem to report on their transfer activities? I don't expect us to announce all of our targets from the off, but surely a little bit of info, even if it is just a quote from GJ on the site advising that a bid of xxx has been lodged, and we are just waiting for an answer etc, would give us something to be excited about.

After all, we are fans, not businessmen with a financial interest in the club - or at least that is the case with me, I sometimes wonder with others on this site!

Nope, because we still speculate anyway. I don't know what info people want that doesn't compromise anything... We got told what positions we were after because it was obvious, we got told numbers of offers pretty much. And we do say when we're 100% definitely not interested in a player.

I don't feel frustrated when exact numbers don't come out, but i'm not too keen on the new thing of not announcing new contracts...i like to know how long our players have left, it helps with the speculation as to who's going where and who we can bring in (if other clubs did that)

If it's common sense as you say Disco, why do so many other clubs seem to report on their transfer activities? I don't expect us to announce all of our targets from the off, but surely a little bit of info, even if it is just a quote from GJ on the site advising that a bid of xxx has been lodged, and we are just waiting for an answer etc, would give us something to be excited about.

After all, we are fans, not businessmen with a financial interest in the club - or at least that is the case with me, I sometimes wonder with others on this site!

But the club do give out little bits of info, just not any specifics.

I would dispute that so many other clubs report on their transfer activities also - most keep it shut until it's signed. 90% of transfer rumours prove to be b***ocks in the end.

There are a few exceptions of course but generally those are from clubs who have to convince their fans that something positive is going to happen - Derby and under fire imbecile Paul Jewell, Charlton and Alan Cheating Pardew for example.

last year I was concerned about who and when we would get transfers in but that was due to not knowing how we would do in a new division, this year I don't really care who we sign as I am just very confident we will stay up and we will play good passing football wherever we finish in the table - whoever GJ brings in will the best players that he could attract to the club and will watch with interest how they perform.

The lack of information from the club is just professionalism at work - most of the club is run professionally and I would prefer that things are run professionally than the alternative.

The club are absolutely right with their policy. If sticking to silence scores us 10/10 targets instead of 9/10 while fans are left oblivious then it is the correct method. It wasnt long ago GJ told us we had 3 bids out there, 2 of which were strikers. Thats pretty informative if you ask me and probably builds more excitement than saying 'We are after x, y and z.'

I don't see why the club can't release a short statement about where they are with the metaeb saga. Its been widely reported tht city want him and they're after him so whats the harm in saying something like the contracts been signed but we're waiting for him to get a work permit or something like that.

i understand why bristol city don't let on who they are trying

for and will let us know when the deal is done.

what annoys me is how quick other clubs seem to sign the players they want.

ours seem to be a long and drawn out affair.is it the players ,agents or clubs

that are delaying. if they want to sign then do so . if not let the club

know and we will move on to the next target.

but knowing gary johnson there will be a suprise to come.

Had a look at the Cardiff NewsNow and CCFC are looking a little short on strikers - Jimmy Floyd Hasslebank turned up for training and was told to go away as he hasnt got a contract (news to him as he had it written into last season's contract that if he played a certain amount of games then it triggered a clause giving him another year on the same terms) as he verbally told CCFC that he wouldnt enforce the clause. CCFC then said they were looking to get Fowler for another year but on reduced wages - he walked out and went to Blackburn and that leaves Marcus Bent who failed to turn up for his medical today and went and had talks with Birmingham.

This is what I meant about the club acting professionally.

If it's common sense as you say Disco, why do so many other clubs seem to report on their transfer activities?

there are a coupl of reasons that clubs announce their intended targets or info leaks about a bid A.) to alert the player and state their intention.

B.) bids are leaked to drive the price at start a bidding war.

So anybody can leak a transfer but I agree it is better to keep stum really so that we don't alert other clubs and also so if we don't get our man then it's not huge dissapointment to the fans.

GJ has got it right though he always said he will never sign for signing sake the have to offer something to the club and imrove the squad. So i would say although it's frustrating it is good to know we won't be signing players that can't drive the club foward.

Archived