IGNORED

Goalkeepers

tin

All the Meteb (sp?) business asides, has anyone else noticed that Weale started both at FGR on Saturday and tonight in Portugal?

I noticed the noises he was making in the EP about seriously challenging Basso for the number one spot but would've thought Basso would've started tonight on a sort of one game on, one game off pre-season deal.

Am I reading too much into it that Weale's got 180mins under his belt so far and Basso has none or is this an indication of things to come? :dunno:

Either way, we got two top drawer keepers at this level so it's a win win situation.

Wasn't Basso injured on Saturday? Chris Weale is a decent keeper but I think he'd have to have an unbelievable pre-season and Basso a bit of a shocker for Basso to not start as No.1 next season. I think it's the curse of the No.2 keeper, generally you have to wait for an injury or serious drop in form for the No.1 more than just an improvement in your own game before you'll get a chance.

I hadn't heard of any injuries to Basso but just presumed that Wealey was doing more so far to justify a run out. He must be the only player to start and finish both pre-season games so far for us so maybe he is stealing a march... :dunno:

I hadn't heard of any injuries to Basso but just presumed that Wealey was doing more so far to justify a run out. He must be the only player to start and finish both pre-season games so far for us so maybe he is stealing a march... :dunno:

Hi Tin, there you go http://www.bcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,1...1342518,00.html

weales a better keeper than basso. used to watch him with my grandad who was a fanatcial yeovil fan. having seen them both hes the better of the two just needs a chance to stake a claim. to many erors from basso

If you are going to harp on about past mistakes then you will never consider him to be a good 'keeper. I think I can count the number of errors from Basso on one hand last season, although he was unfortunate that 2 of them were in televised games. Weale actually made 2 mistakes in the 2 league games I saw him play and one mistake in the game where he came on as sub. Now you can put that down to constant bench warming if you like, but he has a long way to go to prove he is better than Basso in my eyes.

Basso is the best keeper out of the PL and a fan favorite. It would take a serious injury to keep him out the first squad for long. I would expect Basso to be left out meaningless friendlies (or any of our key players) maybe except a few Mins coming on as a sub. These games are really for fringe players to make an impression - such as Brooker.

Basso is the best keeper out of the PL and a fan favorite. It would take a serious injury to keep him out the first squad for long. I would expect Basso to be left out meaningless friendlies (or any of our key players) maybe except a few Mins coming on as a sub. These games are really for fringe players to make an impression - such as Brooker.

Firstly, pre-season ain't a chance for first XI players to put their feet up and rest easy. It's a pivotal part of the season to make sure EVERY squad player, is in the best possible shape to hit the ground running. To suggest that we're playing fringe players for these meaningless friendlies just to 'make an impression' is ridiculous. It's all about fitness.

Secondly, Wayne Hennessey is by far the best goalkeeper outside the Prem IMHO. Basso's a fan favourite and is capable of brilliance but isn't anything else.

Firstly, pre-season ain't a chance for first XI players to put their feet up and rest easy. It's a pivotal part of the season to make sure EVERY squad player, is in the best possible shape to hit the ground running. To suggest that we're playing fringe players for these meaningless friendlies just to 'make an impression' is ridiculous. It's all about fitness.

Secondly, Wayne Hennessey is by far the best goalkeeper outside the Prem IMHO. Basso's a fan favourite and is capable of brilliance but isn't anything else.

Tin, do you have a problem with AB. Fact is, and it has been well documented, that he has a hand injury and is not considered fit enough to risk aggravating it. I appreciate you have your own opinion on his abilities but Weale hasn`t done enough in any appearance he`s made to justify taking Bassos` place on the team sheet.

Don`t know if you went to FGR but i didnt feel he showed anything to shout about there and having just watched the highlights from yesterday it wasn`t any different.

I agree AB is prob not the best outside the PL but he`s definitely up there and last season he earned us a lot more points than he lost us.

PDG

Tin, do you have a problem with AB. Fact is, and it has been well documented, that he has a hand injury and is not considered fit enough to risk aggravating it. I appreciate you have your own opinion on his abilities but Weale hasn`t done enough in any appearance he`s made to justify taking Bassos` place on the team sheet.

No, I don't have a problem with Basso. I was one of his fiercest critics early on in his City career but he's slowly won me round.

Don`t know if you went to FGR but i didnt feel he showed anything to shout about there and having just watched the highlights from yesterday it wasn`t any different.

Yes, I was at FGR. I was also at Blackpool last year when Weale played and he single handedly kept them at bay.

I agree AB is prob not the best outside the PL but he`s definitely up there and last season he earned us a lot more points than he lost us.

PDG

PDG, I'm not advocating Weale's inclusion in the side but merely pointing out that he's started both friendly games thus far. I hadn't heard Basso was injured as I've steered clear of the main site to keep myself from clicking refresh every five seconds. Just trying to stirr up a bit of debate asides from all this Moteab (sp?) hysteria as frankly I'm not excited by that signing.

PDG, I'm not advocating Weale's inclusion in the side but merely pointing out that he's started both friendly games thus far. I hadn't heard Basso was injured as I've steered clear of the main site to keep myself from clicking refresh every five seconds. Just trying to stirr up a bit of debate asides from all this Moteab (sp?) hysteria as frankly I'm not excited by that signing.

Fair enough mate. As for our Egyptian signing i guess we`ll just have to wait and see how he adjusts to England and our style of play. :fingerscrossed: though that he can supply us with what we need.

PDG

Archived