IGNORED

City Strikers.

Rednready

We have not had a successful striker combination since Brooker & Lita and we did not get promoted then for a variety of reasons.

Its been a revolving door with so called strikers arriving and leaving. Calvin Andrews, James Quinn, Bas Savage,Andy Smith, Barry Corr, Wayne Andrews, Phil Jevons and more recently, Showumni and the Dads Army of Byfield, soon 32, Adebola 33 and Trundle 32 in October.

We still have Brooker, who at 27 is still in his prime, lets hope his legs are. Emad, I hope is as good as Lita and proves to be GJ's fox in the box. GJ says we have needed one for a little while, about 2 seasons being a little while by my reckoning.

I cant see Adebola 33 and Trundle soon 32 improving on last season. Both have different assetts for the club, but both ran hot and cold when trying to affect a game as GJ puts it. Trundle is clever, but 6 goals in 41 appearances does not inspire me to see a vast improvement this season. Adebola will still be our battering ram against the tougher defences, so for me its Brooker/Emad + Maynard or Tyson. GJ has shown interest in these two speedy strikers, lets hope we finally get the combination we have been waiting for.

Trundle is clever, but 6 goals in 41 appearances does not inspire me

Really dislike this point of view.

At the end of the season he looked very good and very dangerous, it's like saying at the end of Vidic and Evra's first season at United they were only average and incosistant players because they weren't good in the first half of their settling in years...

Trundle I think has shown reasons for great optimism for his performances next season judging by the standard he was playing at in the final few games. I'd like to think he's learnt this level, and he'll be starting with the form he finished the year with.

agreed I think Trundle will come good this year, his performances in the final few games of the season were brilliant and I think he'll start where he left off. Trunds took a season to settle in at Swansea then he was awesome after that!! This season Emad and Trunds to lead our attack and fire us to the prem!!! :fingerscrossed:

It appears likely GJ would still like to add another front man but with Crewe seemingly looking for excess of £2m for Maynard and Forest not too keen to sell Tyson even though he is now in the last year of his deal, we may well not do so.

We haven't broken our transfer record to leave the Egyptian on the bench, have we?, but as for the other 3, I reckon that after the last 2 years Brooker needs to maintain his current pre season form and fitness just to even be in GJ's thoughts, whilst Trundle will need to improve significantly on his 07/08 season to start very many games unless Emad finds English football difficult as the stat of three goals after November, (and one of them a penalty) says it all for me.

For all his varience in form it is Adebola therefore that I expect to start in the side alongside Emad if there are no further additions this summer, as firstly he gives Emad the physical support he may well need, secondly he has vast Championship experince and the other 3 don't and finally he was the only one who scored at an acceptable goals per games ratio at this level last time out.

Here here, i totally agree :englandsmile4wf:

I doubt we'l see Trundle and Metab play together very often, Trundle's form coincided with himn playing alongside a big target man in Adebola.

As Metab is not likely to fulfil this role I would suggest it may be a case of either Trundle or Metab alongside Brooker or Adebola instead of playing them together.

We have not had a successful striker combination since Brooker & Lita and we did not get promoted then for a variety of reasons.

Its been a revolving door with so called strikers arriving and leaving. Calvin Andrews, James Quinn, Bas Savage,Andy Smith, Barry Corr, Wayne Andrews, Phil Jevons and more recently, Showumni and the Dads Army of Byfield, soon 32, Adebola 33 and Trundle 32 in October.

We still have Brooker, who at 27 is still in his prime, lets hope his legs are. Emad, I hope is as good as Lita and proves to be GJ's fox in the box. GJ says we have needed one for a little while, about 2 seasons being a little while by my reckoning.

I cant see Adebola 33 and Trundle soon 32 improving on last season. Both have different assetts for the club, but both ran hot and cold when trying to affect a game as GJ puts it. Trundle is clever, but 6 goals in 41 appearances does not inspire me to see a vast improvement this season. Adebola will still be our battering ram against the tougher defences, so for me its Brooker/Emad + Maynard or Tyson. GJ has shown interest in these two speedy strikers, lets hope we finally get the combination we have been waiting for.

In fareness to Trundle he took longer to adapt to championship football because of his age

but when he did thought he was amazing at times pluse his fitness inproved Emad Meteb and Lee Trundle up front for me :innocent06:

Its Meteb up front with Brooker for me

two players hopefully coming into their prime

Adebola provides adequate cover for brooker if hes injured, and also can be used when we need a bit more presence.

Id also have a speedy striker on the bench (providing we do sign one)

Trundle for all his hard work, tricks and flair just doesnt cause enough problems for me. I would have tried to offload him too free up some more wage bill. prob could get 500k from swans aswell as a fee. Ive always rated him and seems like a great guy but on the staggering wage we are paying him, being ok just isnt good enough.

if he was on an average wage id keep him as an option to use at home when teams defend deep and he can get the ball in shooting range, but i think someone said hes on 10k! pretty much every first 11 player from last season deserves to be on more than him really performance wise.

Doubt we'll get Maynard or Tyson. Somebody else we weren't expecting.

I think you may be on to something there, my friend. The Tyson situation has gone quiet and seems very unlikely now, whereas Maynard may opt to join Ipswich rather than us. I think we could be in for a surprise in the next couple of days/weeks.

As for our strike partnership, I believe Emad will start and it is a matter of asking who will start with him. If Brooker and Trundle stay fit, I believe they will give it a good go at fighting for the shirt but I think Adebola's legs are going and he may end up surplus to requirements or just a cover striker.

Really dislike this point of view.

At the end of the season he looked very good and very dangerous, it's like saying at the end of Vidic and Evra's first season at United they were only average and incosistant players because they weren't good in the first half of their settling in years...

Trundle I think has shown reasons for great optimism for his performances next season judging by the standard he was playing at in the final few games. I'd like to think he's learnt this level, and he'll be starting with the form he finished the year with.

I disagree and don't think we'll see too much productive out of Trundle this year. I'm still slightly bemused why he gets the reaction from the fans all the time that he does because I don't see how he's yet earned the right to have that degree of adulation from BCFC.

He gave a lot when he came on against Stoke and then did well as the team realised they needed to actually win to stay in the promotion hunt but 4 1/2 games doesn't, IMO, redeem the 6 months of average performances he gave.

Murray added quite a bit to the team during the first 5 games but that was a flash of quality compared to his appearances in the later games.

Vidic & Evra had to adjust to a different country and style of football and it's not quite the same situation here...

With his wages and massive transfer-fee depreciation I wouldn't mind if we moved him on if there were other players ready to take his place.

I personally wouldn't have him in the team over Dele or Brooker (and I've big doubts over SB in the CC!).

If we play a 433 I would have Meteb,Trundle/Adebola,one other Trundle in last games showed what he can do and held the ball up great for the others to join in,Adebola I thought had a terrible Final and against Forest Green carried on he does seem to loose the ball often which you can not afford in this league,Meteb has to start after 1.5 million signing still feel he may take some time to settle,one other place has to be a pace player the only ones Sproule,Williams,with real pace so hopefully we can sign this player we needed for a long time would love to have Beckford from Leeds hecan head and quick and joung thats if Leeds can let him go.Brooker would love to have him back in scoring but its always injuries it seems with him

Mr Bond,

It's a tough one. I share the view of those who think Lee was fantastic in the last few games of the season. But I can't shake the performance of Steve Brooker off the bench against Norwich. He was absolutely fantastic. We should have lost 6-1 but Brooks came on and transformed the game. He links the play fantastically well and is superb in the air, scores too. I'm a big fan, so for me, it's Brooker and Emad/Trundle to start.

I'm not Emma B incognito.

I don't know why people are saying Trundle and Emad won't be able to play up front together?

Our best football last season certainly wasn't played by smashing the ball up field to find Dele for a knockdown for another striker?

Trundle is a smart player and I think if he can chip in 10 goals and 10 assists this season I'd be satisfied, I think he's a player that can provide a clever pass for Emad who seems to be the kind of striker that will always be on the shoulder of the last defender.

I think GJ will at least give this combo a run especially if we don't sign anyone else.

I'd say more now than a new striker we need a new midfielder and defender.

I just hope we don't waste to many games/points in trying to get a workable partnership up front.

I'm sure GJ knows what will work best, Brooker at 27 if fit and firing would be my choice, and if more striker(s)arrive which I doubt, where would that leave Adebola/Truns etc ?

I heard trunds looked a bit off the mark when we played forest green.

Just hope he can carry through his form from last season :fingerscrossed:

Definatley has to be Emad And Trunds for me. Adelbola would be good for a cold wet Tuesday night in Ipswich. But when we're at home, Emad And Trundle with Brooker making an impact from the bench. :englandsmile4wf:

If, but more likely - when we buy a new striker, I have a feeling it will be a unknown from outside England again. Sounds like the Tyson deal has gone down the pan and I can't see us breaking the transfer record for the second time in such quick succession after it's taken this long to break it now to bring in Maynard

Vidic & Evra had to adjust to a different country and style of football and it's not quite the same situation here...

Honsetly, Trundle footballing wise probably had to adapt more than the others two. He had an utterly new style and system to adapt to. If you want to explain what's different in the the roles Vidic and Evra played play now from their former teams go ahead.

No it doesn't make up for 4-5 months of averageness from Trundle, but it gives (me anyway) cause for optimism for this year.

One possibility that occurred to me was that Emad will not even start the season in the first eleven at all.

Ahly are still several weeks from their opening Egyptian league game.

And if he is not available to play until the Royal Antwerp match that could still put him way behind our other strikers at least as far as preparations go.

We know that with Nick Carle, Gary wanted him to see the 'English Game' and how it was played first, before putting him in.

:unsure:

Definatley has to be Emad And Trunds for me. Adelbola would be good for a cold wet Tuesday night in Ipswich. But when we're at home, Emad And Trundle with Brooker making an impact from the bench. :englandsmile4wf:

Completly agree with u Meteb and Trundle with Brooker coming of the bench that spells prem to me :fingerscrossed:

Its Meteb up front with Brooker for me

two players hopefully coming into their prime

Adebola provides adequate cover for brooker if hes injured, and also can be used when we need a bit more presence.

Id also have a speedy striker on the bench (providing we do sign one)

Trundle for all his hard work, tricks and flair just doesnt cause enough problems for me. I would have tried to offload him too free up some more wage bill. prob could get 500k from swans aswell as a fee. Ive always rated him and seems like a great guy but on the staggering wage we are paying him, being ok just isnt good enough.

if he was on an average wage id keep him as an option to use at home when teams defend deep and he can get the ball in shooting range, but i think someone said hes on 10k! pretty much every first 11 player from last season deserves to be on more than him really performance wise.

i agree with the brooker metab combo as longa s brooker can stay fit but i would like to see trundle in the hole behind the front too simelar posistion to what noble plays think trundle could play some clever passes and support for knock downs on edge off box imo

If Brooker can stay fit and Meteb can reach his potential then I think that could be a potent recreation of the Brooker/Lita combination. One of our Egyptian friends on here has mentioned that Meteb is similar to Rooney in style and very strong. That could mean that his partnership with Brooker could be one in which the roles of targetman/little guy could be alternated between them as they often were with Brooker and Lita. Trundle could be used as a substitute to inject something different and change a game, whilst Adebola could be used in place of Brooker to ease the physical pressure on him, or to play against particularly robust opposition.

If Brooker can stay fit and Meteb can reach his potential then I think that could be a potent recreation of the Brooker/Lita combination. One of our Egyptian friends on here has mentioned that Meteb is similar to Rooney in style and very strong. That could mean that his partnership with Brooker could be one in which the roles of targetman/little guy could be alternated between them as they often were with Brooker and Lita. Trundle could be used as a substitute to inject something different and change a game, whilst Adebola could be used in place of Brooker to ease the physical pressure on him, or to play against particularly robust opposition.

I go along with all of that and add the following.

All these striker combinations will be pi**ing in the wind if we don't supply them with some decent chances. That means our midfield has to likewise have a good combination, creativity and add a few extra goals as well.

Archived