IGNORED

Players Performance!so Far

Cider Army

Watching highlights on city world after the game johnson was interviewed and has said hes not happy with a few in the squad and certain players are not up to standard to compete at championship level.

Seems to me johnson has 3 or more players in mind to come in yet,Wants a squad of 20 players tht can compete at are level nothing less.

Lets see what happens when hes back and after a few more games,can see alot of transfer activity happening!!

Thats what i got from the interview anyway.

I didn't get the impression that his thoughts on some of the players were based on the pre-season, it sounded to me like he already had opinions.

It was interesting to hear him say we need two or three in - I think that's a good thing and concur. We may also see two or three squad players leave.

The difficulty is that any player coming in needs to be better than what we have and finding those players within a budget and beating the competition is no easy task, but GJ did say there were irons in the fire.

The players have been worked hard over the past couple of weeks and that is on the back of a shorter than normal holiday due to the play offs. We are also playing teams that are smaller than us and who want the win more than us. In the first couple of friendlies all that is important is the fitness. I think Johnson's comments are meant as more of a kick up the ass to the players.

The players have been worked hard over the past couple of weeks and that is on the back of a shorter than normal holiday due to the play offs. We are also playing teams that are smaller than us and who want the win more than us. In the first couple of friendlies all that is important is the fitness. I think Johnson's comments are meant as more of a kick up the ass to the players.

Do You...I don't. Do you like losing to Rushden and Diamonds, even if the fitness levels improved...I don't. don't think GJ does either. Our desire to win matches should be the same whoever we are playing.

GJ will bring in at least another 3 I reckon and they could well be signings from out in Europe.

There were irons in the fire before, GJ will do the business now he nows he has to.

Do You...I don't. Do you like losing to Rushden and Diamonds, even if the fitness levels improved...I don't. don't think GJ does either. Our desire to win matches should be the same whoever we are playing.

GJ will bring in at least another 3 I reckon and they could well be signings from out in Europe.

There were irons in the fire before, GJ will do the business now he nows he has to.

I wouldn't worry too much about results, GJ will use this as motivation, kick up the ass. What I find interesting is the inclusion of Brooker, Betsy, JMW and Frankie A. Is it last chance saloon for the first three or does he see openings for them?

I get the feeling he likes Frankie and wouldn't be surprised to see him at least get on to the bench next season. I could be totally wrong but find it intriguing.

I have never worried about the pre-season results. They don't mean a great deal as they are more for match sharpness and trying out different idea's. I got the impression from the interview that some have not impressed him and there could be abit of transfer activity over the next couple of weeks.. Whatever he does, he will be doing it for the right reasons. In GJ we trust!

I agree with the rest of you lads. From the interview it would appear he's not happy and looks like there maybe another 2 or 3 at least! Season is getting closer so I guess the transfer activity will be going into overdrive now!

Interesting comments about 20 championship players and needing to bring in 2 or 3 more. Last years players who were in the first team squad and contributed plus the two new signings are:

Basso Weale Orr Carey McAllister Murray Sproule Noble Johnson McIndoe Adebola Trundle G Williams M Elliott Meteb Fontaine Skuse McCombe

(18 in total)

His comments as to whether there are some players who are not championship players (yet) and are currently at the club are in my opinion include the following:

B.Wilson, Myrie-Williams Betsy Artus Ribiero J. Wilson Brooker

Some of those he will keep in the first team squad as they are in their last year of their contract (B Wilson and Brooker) unless of course we get a reasonable transfer fee for them, I can see Betsy and JMW off on a season's loan again as being defined as not championship players (yet in the case of JMW), I could see Weale being sent on loan if he isnt given the opportunity in the first 4 matches of the new season.

Leaving as GJ says room for another 2 or 3 players to come in and transfer/loan activity for those fringe players being announced.

BTW Brooker - in my view is going to have to prove himself a championship player this season and so far in pre-season he is showing the right signs for him to enable him to get another contract - but pre-season is pre-season and the real test will be in the championship if he gets the chance.

It seems to me from Gary's comments and reading Adam Bakers report that performance wise it would appear simmilar to the slump in Feb / March, very few chances being created etc. That is a bit of a cause for concern, however the good news is that as ever Gary is open and honest in his assesment and as he indicates will look to significantly strengthen.

In my view the centre of midfield is a must, this is where the game is controlled and where a team dictates its style of play, when City are playing badly its this area that gets by-passed and it was no suprise that more football was played through the middle from the 2nd hald at Stoke onwards at the the end of last season. I suspect another striker and perhaps another creative player may also be on the cards.

It is good that this is being assessed now, so we can hit the gorund running becuase another good start will be important for confidence. The last thing we want is the old addage that "City always start slow" and ever to his credit the manager knows this.

Well done GJ

One more striker was always on the cards to replace Byfield/Enoch. Whether it be Maynard, Tyson or someone else a pacy acquisition is surely required.

Williams was brought in because he became available and not as a replacement for Carle, so another midfield signing likely.

Vasko has gone and Keogh will surely follow - if J.Wilson/Ribiero have not impressed sufficiently that they are ready for the step - up then the back line needs more bodies. We know City were interested in a fellow Egyptian defender at Emad's club so it seems a new defender is very much in GJ's thoughts.

Looks like 3 more minimum to me.

What makes you say that mate?

GJ's comments...

"I wouldn't say anything I've seen so far has changed my opinion (regarding signings). We give all the lads the chance to prove themselves - that's what pre-season is about."

"we need to get to a group of 20 Championship players. We're proving at the moment that we haven't got that yet"

GJ says..we're not good enough..we're not good enough..we're not good enough.

Sadly, I agree with GJ's comment that we need 20 Championship players in our squad and we currently don't have that. I know it's only pre-season but we really should be beating teams like Rushden or some Portugese non-league outfit.

A lot of improvement has to be done but when key players like Elliott have yet to feature in pre-season, I do worry about us being left short at the start of the season and we all know our start last year set the tone for the campaign.

Not quite what he said. He said he wants a squad of 20 championship players and was looking at 2 or 3 more signings. That tells me he trusts 17 or 18 of his squad at the moment.

Yeah... don't disagree with that, you've read what i said as ALL rather than SOME.

Sadly, I agree with GJ's comment that we need 20 Championship players in our squad and we currently don't have that. I know it's only pre-season but we really should be beating teams like Rushden or some Portugese non-league outfit.

A lot of improvement has to be done but when key players like Elliott have yet to feature in pre-season, I do worry about us being left short at the start of the season and we all know our start last year set the tone for the campaign.

Judging by the revealing interview after the R&D game id say we shouldnt be worrying mate as he clearing knows what we need to compete again this season and I'm sure we will see some more signing very shortly.

... After having a shocking pre-season, which included losing 4-1 at Forest Green! And traditionally we're brilliant in pre-season and have awful starts.

I do agree it would be ideal to pick up some momentum, but if history is anything to go by our performances in pre-season actually have no baring whatsoever on how we start the league season.

Well it does look like it will be an exciting few weeks. I can definatelly see at least 2 new players coming in to take the squad up to what GJ wants (20 Championship players), maybe 1 more but will the budget stretch far enough for 3 quality players? I see it being 2 players who Gary is sure can play at this level, and maybe 1 who is a bit of a gamble. Whatever happens though in GJ we trust, and its pleasing issues are being addressed in pre-season rather than when the season starts.

Watching highlights on city world after the game johnson was interviewed and has said hes not happy with a few in the squad and certain players are not up to standard to compete at championship level.

Seems to me johnson has 3 or more players in mind to come in yet,Wants a squad of 20 players tht can compete at are level nothing less.

Lets see what happens when hes back and after a few more games,can see alot of transfer activity happening!!

Thats what i got from the interview anyway.

I would like to think that GJ was aware of this from a whole season in the Championship not a friendly against Rushden.

Archived