IGNORED

Blackpool First 11

Tomo

Basso

Orr Carey Fontaine McAllister

Sproale Johnson Elliott McIindoe

Meteb Trundle

Not alot of difference is it from last season ?

This eleven are all good players, however,

I would question the following positions based on last season's overall performances

Trunds - Needs to start as he finished last season

Sproule - Needs to start as he started last season

McAllister - Needs to start as he started last season

Overall we do have a good squad and of course that was proved last season...

I cant see Gavin Williams in the starting line up and I am a bit worried regarding his injury problems from the past....

Lets ship out Betsy and Keogh as predicted (although Keogh is a good back up defender)...

Other question marks hang over Skuse and Wilson at this level too...

Gary mentions 20 Championship players....any thoughts on the below

Championship players with and without question marks ? Its all about opinions of course !

Consistent performances at Championship level

1) Basso

2) Orr

3) Carey

4) Fontaine

5) McIindoe

6) Elliott

7) Johnson

8) Adebola

9) McCombe

10) Williams (if fit hopefully)

11) Meteb (hopefully)

12) Weale (i think he could do a job at this level)

Inconsistent Performances at this level ?

13) Trunds

14) Nobes

15) Skuse

16) Jennison

17) Brooks

18) Scotty

19) McAllister

20) Wilson

21) Sproule

Of course we currently have squad of 35 is it ? but these are the names to mention...

Any thoughts ? Lets have your opinions...

Tomo

I think its far too early to tell. I wouldn be at all suprised however if Mateab starts off on the bench. Currently Gk jersey is up for grabs in my opinion, Basso not a formality. Id expect Orr, Carey, McCallister, Mcindoe, Elliot and Adebola to start at Blackpool - if fit and had match practice of course, the other positions are up for grabs in my eyes.

I think its far too early to tell. I wouldn be at all suprised however if Mateab starts off on the bench. Currently Gk jersey is up for grabs in my opinion, Basso not a formality. Id expect Orr, Carey, McCallister, Mcindoe, Elliot and Adebola to start at Blackpool - if fit and had match practice of course, the other positions are up for grabs in my eyes.

You may not be far wrong there Jimmy, although I think McAllister should have some competition based on the last third of the season. I know Liam can play at left back but he is far better in the Centre Back position, so I think we need a natural left back to compete with McAllister. The same could be said if Bradley got injured. Louis can play right back but again his natural position is Centre Back. Is Brian Wilson the answer ? - I am not sure if Gary is looking for 20 consistent championship performers !

Tomo

Guest Eamer

I doubt the starting line-up for the game will cause too many suprised faces. It's just whether GJ starts with 4-5-1 or 4-4-2. Either way, no shocks.

Of course depends on new signings. We may not even start with Moteab depending on how many preseason games he's played...

I rate McAllister, as does GJ, I think he'd get in a fair few championship teams, I'd class him as a championship player. The only doubts I have about him is discipline, it's infuriating how often he picks up bookings. It does mean he is a liability at times, in that respect. I also think Wilson comes in and does a solid if unspectacular job when called upon.

As for Sproule, he can be very frustrating. He certainly has the potential to be good in this league, because of his pace. I always feel that if he would just put his head down and run for the byline a little more often, or push up on the fullback for the ball in behind (without getting caught offside!) then he would be much more effective. His form did dip a little disappointingly towards the back end of last season, but with a seasons more experience I think he can be useful for us. And Trundle, as we know, looked much more like the player we thought we were getting towards the end of last season, and I anticipate that he will kick on next season and show us why he is worth his £1m price tag!

Also, when you consider that we finished fourth last season, twenty teams finished below us. When you consider that our success last season was very much built on hard work as a team, (as opposed to being carried by one or two individuals) then I'd say we have a fair few more "championship" players than the original post suggests. Two or three new faces as Johnson suggests, (According to Setanta?) would probably do it in my opinion, provided a youngster or two can step up.

As for the starting 11 against Blackpool, it depends on fitness. Meteb should be fit, isn't the Egyptian season already underway? Therefore I'd expect him to start, club record signing shouldn't really be left on the bench unless there is doubt over his fitness or if he is ready. I'd expect Williams to start on the bench, Johnson seemed to indicate in the interview after signing him that it was a case of the chance to sign him being "too good not to", rather than Williams being brought in to play a specific role in our team. Therefore, I think it may be a few games before it is clear exactly where Williams will be most effective in our midfield.

Not quite sure who will def be fir for blackpool (injurywise and matchfit)

I think once it settles down though and everyones fit we will line up like this, also put in cover underneath.

Basso

(Weale)

Orr Carey Fonts McCallister

(Wilson) (Wilson) (McCombe) (?)

Williams Elliot LJ McCindoe

(Sproule) (Skuse) (Nobes) (?)

Meteb Brooker

(?) (Adebola)

Hopefully get a pacey striker in, and also one player who can cover both left back and left wing.

Id sell Betsy, Keogh,

keep Trunds as backup striker, or flog him if we can get a good deal

Super scott can compete with ivan for sub right winger

Currently Gk jersey is up for grabs in my opinion, Basso not a formality.

How can you say Basso is not a certainty for the No 1 shirt? Basso was our best performer consistently last season, up there with Elliott and McIndoe in my opinion. My fear is that is will be incredibly difficult to repeat such a good season now that he is expected to be always amazing

I rate McAllister, as does GJ, I think he'd get in a fair few championship teams, I'd class him as a championship player. The only doubts I have about him is discipline, it's infuriating how often he picks up bookings. It does mean he is a liability at times, in that respect. I also think Wilson comes in and does a solid if unspectacular job when called upon.

As for Sproule, he can be very frustrating. He certainly has the potential to be good in this league, because of his pace. I always feel that if he would just put his head down and run for the byline a little more often, or push up on the fullback for the ball in behind (without getting caught offside!) then he would be much more effective. His form did dip a little disappointingly towards the back end of last season, but with a seasons more experience I think he can be useful for us. And Trundle, as we know, looked much more like the player we thought we were getting towards the end of last season, and I anticipate that he will kick on next season and show us why he is worth his £1m price tag!

Also, when you consider that we finished fourth last season, twenty teams finished below us. When you consider that our success last season was very much built on hard work as a team, (as opposed to being carried by one or two individuals) then I'd say we have a fair few more "championship" players than the original post suggests. Two or three new faces as Johnson suggests, (According to Setanta?) would probably do it in my opinion, provided a youngster or two can step up.

As for the starting 11 against Blackpool, it depends on fitness. Meteb should be fit, isn't the Egyptian season already underway? Therefore I'd expect him to start, club record signing shouldn't really be left on the bench unless there is doubt over his fitness or if he is ready. I'd expect Williams to start on the bench, Johnson seemed to indicate in the interview after signing him that it was a case of the chance to sign him being "too good not to", rather than Williams being brought in to play a specific role in our team. Therefore, I think it may be a few games before it is clear exactly where Williams will be most effective in our midfield.

Good post mate. I don't disagree with your comments tbh. Mac had a great 2/3rds of the season but you have to say his form did dip a little and his performances became a little inconsistent in the Spring. The original post was not to slander any BCFC player and on their day all of the above mentioned players can turn the screw and up their game and compete against championship opposition. It is the consistency of the players mentioned above that is the real issue here.

Your comments re sproule are also pretty spot on but again he needs the consistency. We all know that any player can have an off day but Ivan was having far to many of these half way through the season.

As for Trunds, if he can start as he finished we are in for some real entertainment...

How can you say Basso is not a certainty for the No 1 shirt?
If Weale plays better than him in pre-season he'll get the nod, its that simple. This is of course true for every player in theory however, whilst Basso did have a fantastic season last year I don't think there is a particularly large gap between him and Weale. Other players (Mcindoe, Elliot, Carey etc) however are not only essential to the balance of the team, but they have limited competition for the roles they perform.

If Weale plays better than him in pre-season he'll get the nod, its that simple. This is of course true for every player in theory however, whilst Basso did have a fantastic season last year I don't think there is a particularly large gap between him and Weale. Other players (Mcindoe, Elliot, Carey etc) however are not only essential to the balance of the team, but they have limited competition for the roles they perform.

It would appear that Wealey thinks he will have a fair chance of first team appearances this season. If not why sign a 1 year contract ?

Archived